Subject: Geek of the Week #300 - SamNzed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:
How great that this slow wifi here in my Greek hotel works: now I can read that yet another great geek I actually "know" is GotW.
Sam, you deserve it!
Congratulations!

Raaf, my 4yo wants to write too:

Jjjjmnbvbhgfffdfffffv. Hhhhjbnnn. Hugh hhjjll
Ljgghjjjk N. Nhhhjhgfyrgvb. B. $!$'nn cxzzzzxddffffghgdsddsxzZdcfZxxvbbbh)())$)((;3()(),?&@

Hvfgggffffgggggbggggv. Nnbbbbbbbvccc. Bbgbbbvvbvcvbnnnnn.

And Hvfgggffffgggggbggggv back to Raaf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Congratulations Sam! You deserve this, especially after organizing the overtext hunt.

My usual questions:
- Ever played any RPG's?
- Have you ever visited the RPG side of the site?
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterpart?

Have fun this week and may you play many games.

I felt this one deserved a deeper reply.
When I met RPGs all those years ago I loved the idea and the 'escape' they seemed to offer. I lost interest really because I couldn't find other players.

I have been offered opportunities to play them again. Half my Friday group have an adventure going and one of my siblings participates.

Five things have held me back:

The time commitment from campaigns I have observed in my circle of aquaintances.

I love the tactile nature of board and card games.

I am attracted by the closed universe in a board game. A board game shrinks life's variables down a lot in a way that makes them manageable, moreso than RPGs (I think anyway).

I've done a lot of theatre and I think my grip on reality is tenuous enough and my limited experience with RPGs is they may just blow my mind.

I don't think my imagination works anymore for this style of leisure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Norris
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Good to see more of the southern hemisphere represented! Enjoy your week, the upcoming winter, and the fact that your toilets flush counter-clockwise due to the coriolis effect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't followed the Geek of the Week thing for long, but I feel the later ones very deserving. This one especially. Congrats Sam!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Williams
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
www.ormistonwhisky.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, having only joined the site recently my first thought was surprise that it took till #300 for you to be honoured. I see you as a top contributor.
Have a fun week.
Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Clemson 40 Oklahoma 6
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Sam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Sam!

Taking a quick look at your collection and ratings, one type of game appears absent - wargames (though I did see Twilight Struggle and Small World in there devil ). What's your take on this particular genre of boardgames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Sam!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Sam - well-deserved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Congratulations Sam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Sam! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevov
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Sam! You did great work running the Overtext Treasure Hunt which was a load of fun. I haven't questioned a GotW before but here goes:

1. You're a playwright - do you have a favourite Shakespeare?
2. Do you play any video games/do you have any favourites?
3. What's the image in your übergeekbadge?
and 4... are you planning another Treasure Hunt?! Woo!
kissninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Menzel
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Missed it by that much ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Sam- your generosity and sense of humor have really made the G4GG lotteries that much more fun and sociable. Have a great week!

My questions:

Favorite movies?
Favorite authors?
Have you had a chance to actually play many of the games you've won on the lottery?

Peace out and may the land beneath remain calm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btw i'm maja
Finland
Pori
Finland
flag msg tools
Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving. Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Sam!

Looking at your wishlist, I deduce some inclination to Terry Pratchett ninja... if this is true, which one is your favourite character/story/quotation from this ingenious Writer?

Have you ever designed a game? Or want to do so? Any details..?

Living in a seismically active area, are you interested in geosciences?

If you were to point some great place/event in New Zealand for the first-time visitor, what would it be?

Sunny greetings from Poland, and I wish you a very hoopy week meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Friendship is Love without his wings!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations

Big congrats, Sam! Another great choice for Geek of the Week. And #300 no less - a monumental achievement!!

Questions, questions...

d10-1 Your favourite game is Junta. In one sentence, explain why?

d10-2 You like the Princes of Florence (as do I!). What is your favourite Favour, Building and Profession (for any reasons)?

d10-3 Your lowest rating (1) is for the Touch of Evil Soundtrack? Why is this soooo ear-bleedingly bad?

d10-4 What is your most wished for game from your wishlist?

d10-5 Do you have a grail game? If so, what is it?

Thanks for your time and enjoy your week meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Haben Sie doch tatsachlich unser Periscope gesehen
badge
Our recent triumphs: Dived to evade enemy aircraft. Lost contact. Dived to evade destroyer. Depth charged. The British have stopped making mistakes.
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight!!! thumbsup

Question:

What is your most & least favorite game mechanic and why?

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raimond
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götalands län
flag msg tools
Northern Lights
badge
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. (Carl Sagan 1934-1996)
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
Totally cool thumbsup, a very well deserved choice, congratulations. Ok a question, have you ever crafted a PnP game?
Enjoy your week & have a chicken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
.. fan
badge
Buster fan!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratz!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Herweg
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
flag msg tools
Meat is for pussies!
badge
Karma is a funny thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great choice!!!

Congrats to you Sam. You really deserved this. :thumbsup:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
sunshiny wrote:
Totally cool thumbsup, a very well deserved choice, congratulations. Ok a question, have you ever crafted a PnP game?
Enjoy your week & have a chicken

Tx for the chicken! We had a lot of then when I was growing up.

I used to make boardgames when I was v young and I made a lot of things with cardboard. Unfortunately my craft is not great. Having seen and having had one game from Alysa that was PnP I know I haven't the patience or precision required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Congrats, Sam!

Taking a quick look at your collection and ratings, one type of game appears absent - wargames (though I did see Twilight Struggle and Small World in there devil ). What's your take on this particular genre of boardgames?

I'm not a great fan of wargames. I did play some. But I like games where military conflict is part of a broader strategy. Some of my games centre on military conflict, Diplomacy, Kingmaker, Junta, Junta: Viva el Presidente! but not 'true' wargames.

In the Kingmaker forums recently one BGGer suggested playing for points to determine the game but in my mind making the heirs and dynastic struggle peripheral ruins the game, there are better wargames and the history the game is based on is what it's about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight!!! thumbsup

Question:

What is your most & least favorite game mechanic and why?

meeple

I'm gonna have to think about this. Often it's not the mechanic but how it's integrated to the game.

eg shipping for VP - I love Cuba, but never playing Container ever again would suit me fine.

It may be war or conflict for the sake of it (see above response on wargames).

I think Cyclades and Small World are fine games but they feel like caged dwarf or cock fighting to me. Small spaces, where military attack is your only option.... meh

I may come back to mechanics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevov wrote:
Congratulations Sam! You did great work running the Overtext Treasure Hunt which was a load of fun. I haven't questioned a GotW before but here goes:

kissninja

the Scottish Play! I directed this 2 or 3 years ago. Great play.

Hmm long story here. Firstly I'm still not sure what VGG here focuses on.
anyways ... My hand-eye co-ordination is as smooth as the gear shift on a Morris Marina. So although I liked Defender my 20c lasted about a minute.
I played one car racing game and was never great at it, but did ok.
My thing was Pinball. Okay I still wasn't any good but I enjoyed it.
In terms of computer games I've always liked deduction over co-ordination but got sick of - find the hidden key in this puzzle type games.
My one and only video game passion was Civilisation (but not Civ 3). I just about went mad playing this. it controlled me for months. Hours and hours, all nighters, then heading to work ... it wasn't pretty!

It's an attempt to create Cubeworld from some Lego images.

kissninja

Yes - I've been trying to accumulate and interest game publishers in putting up games as prizes. Later in the year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Congrats Sam! This is awesome news! Well deserved indeed.

I'm surprised it took this long for you to get GotW honestly. Your kindness and wit are well known to me and I'm sure everyone else who knows you.

Congrats again! Have a wonderful week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.