$10.00
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll start off by saying this: If you do not own either the Catan Card Game, or Rivals for Catan, start looking at reviews for Rivals for Catan. This will be the one you want to buy.

If you already own the 'Catan Card Game', it is not worth buying Rivals for relatively the same game a second time even with its frills. If you are a fan or really enthusiastic about the Catan card game, there is probably nothing I could say that would prevent you from buying it. In rock-paper-scissors like issues, Fanboy-ism will always beat any advice given.

If you find the original Settlers too bogged down in feudality, or not accommodating for 2 players. Then you will want to give the Catan Card games a try.

Catan Card Game (or Rivals) vs. The Original Settlers of Catan.

What is better in the original Catan Card Game:
+ Made for 2 players
+ You are not waiting around for certain numbers to come up, everyone gets something each round, more importantly something to DO each round.
+ Since everyone gets something each round, it feels more competitive rather than luck of the draw.
+ You feel more involved in building up your territory than in normal Catan. You are placing and purchasing specific town and city facilities.

What does original Catan do better:
- Original Catan has a more exploratory feel. You do not feel as involved as much as the rolls are guiding
- You can cut off other players from other locations on the island.
- The original Catan sprawl I think looks better and can be made better with the expansions, the Catan Card game not so much.
-Original Catan pulls off more than 2 players better. Unless you have one of those really AP prone friends, then each turn is more like Sisyphus.

Overall Winner:
Catan Card Game(s) defeats Original Catan – It plays quicker, has a feeling of more choices, and enough interaction is in the game. The original Catan has the possibility for more trading for player interaction, but in the wrong group someone who sits on their cards and says no all the time isn’t really fun. I sometimes feel the original Catan is more about moving the thief than building out your cities. The possibility is there to defeat someone whom has more land with more city features. I feel like I am actually building and in control of my capabilities, rather than along for the ride.

Catan Card Game vs. Rivals for Catan

How does the Catan Card Game stack up vs the new upgrade?
Rivals does what most improvements do as they progress, more features but cheaper materials. Even though they are just dice and wooden tokens, I found that I like the block knight and windmill over the quality of the components in Rivals for Catan when I played.

Rivals has 60 more cards than this installment, also it enables the players to have a quickie starter game, what would be around the terms of a “normal” game of Catan Card Game. Rivals for Catan card game also has the ability to make a cutthroat or a more friendly economic building game. Also the new book symbols for plus cards and card markings and pips do an excellent job of helping to identify cards.

If you want to make some comparisons on the instructions and cards for Rivals of Catan yourself, you can do so at the Catan main site here:
http://www.playcatan.com/cow-instructions/rivals-for-catan.h...

Overall Winner:
Rivals of Catan (card game) defeats the Catan Card Game. There are differences in artwork, where Catan Card Game is more of a medieval setting and Rivals appears to be more renaissance era. Though this is preference of the user both pull off their themes. Rivals has more options than the Catan Card Game. The only thing I can knock about Rivals is the components are cheaper, but they also toss in 60 more cards. If you really want to cling to a block of wood having better pictures, and prefer the “nerf ball (sun) of plenty” as we called it grant you one resource, then that is the only reason you should pick up the Catan Card Game. Or you just want to parade around you have an out of print game.

So my recommendation is to go with the newer version of the card game, if you own neither. Unless you really want to be one of us owners of this no longer in print version of Catan Card Game as we hold our game rocking in the corner trying to assure ourselves the quality Knight and Windmill tokens over the scales and axe tiddlywinks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J U
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you! Very helpful review and comparison!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yee Keat Phuah
Malaysia
flag msg tools
I own the Rivals, but I guess the following applies as well, a few more things to chip in for comparison with the board game.

1. The card game is more complex, the board game shines where the rules are so simple, for the card game, it become a game of knowing which card works well together, which card gives you special abilities and such.

2. I feel there is more strategy (something you decide before the first round) in the card game, as it depends on what are the first 3 cards that you have. For the board game, the only strategy comes from where to put the first two settlements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Qualith
Spain
Malaga
Malaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just what I was looking for!
I was a mess about buying Catan Card game or the new one.

Thank you for your review: very clarifying. I'm going for the Rivals :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you own the previous version of the Catan Card game:

Download and use the rules for Rivals for Catan. Play to 10VP. Remove these cards form the base game:

Arsonist, Bishop, Black Night, Brigands, Herb Woman, Spy

The game will be less aggressive and will play faster. No need to buy the new version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Harris
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Rivals set but have heard grumbles about it lacking the 'trading' option between the two players that the original game had.How did that work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Gaburri
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools

You simply could trade anything, anytime, with your rival (the other player). It made for a slightly faster game if people did trade. Which they didn't, ever -- that's why the designer took it off.

It's pretty simple to put it back in; just allow trading stuff between players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have "forbidden" trading between the players for the Rivals, since advanced players didn't trade with the old Catan Card game. Trading in a two-player-game gives no benefit for the passive player, whereas in a more-player-game both can have an advantage by trading in contrast to other players. Furthermore, in a two-player game there's always the risk that the active player will use action cards to get his traded resources back and he will often have an advantage with the next dice roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Harris
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about adding the rule that you can only start trading with the other player once a marketplace has been built by someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the contrary, there is plenty of reason to trade in a two-player game, even when you aren't the active player.

You can only hold so many resources on one region. If that region is full, you risk missing out on more resources if the next dice roll would cause it to produce or otherwise gain goods.

Similarly, if some resource is in danger of being lost (near a city and a plague is due any moment; you are holding Ore and Sheep and over 7 unprotectd resources), you might trade for something safer (held next to only settlements; not Ore nor Sheep).

You might trade to get two resources for the price of one, which isn't an uncommon deal and makes up for the active player's ability to use her received resource immediately.

In a string of like-production rolls, one player will have a lot of one resource and the other player will have a lot of some other resource. Trading balances that issue.

If you are likely to trade while not active, you'll find your opponent to be far more likely to trade while she isn't active.

Feel free to stipulate that part of the trade means that your traded-for resources won't be yanked out from under you. And if you don't trust your opponent--for indeed, the rules do not enforce honor--you can make a peek at your opponent's hand part of that deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
If you own the previous version of the Catan Card game:

Download and use the rules for Rivals for Catan. Play to 10VP. Remove these cards form the base game:

Arsonist, Bishop, Black Night, Brigands, Herb Woman, Spy

The game will be less aggressive and will play faster. No need to buy the new version.

This seems like a sensible suggestion - has anyone tried this?

Although why change the victory condition from both games from 12VP to 10VP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weis
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The original Catan Card game had 6 mini expansions available. Are any of these available for Rivals? I got all 6 of them in one box, and really enjoyed how they changed the game when they were included.

I've only played Rivals on the iOS app, but I much prefer the original game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
incinerator wrote:
The original Catan Card game had 6 mini expansions available. Are any of these available for Rivals?

Rivals has already far surpassed the original as far as diversity of expansion cards Gary.

In addition to the 3 optional theme decks that come in the base game there are two full size expansions so far which add 3 more decks each.

So as of today, there are currently 9 different theme decks to play. (not counting the basic game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieran Quinn
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
RedPiranha wrote:
We have "forbidden" trading between the players for the Rivals, since advanced players didn't trade with the old Catan Card game. Trading in a two-player-game gives no benefit for the passive player, whereas in a more-player-game both can have an advantage by trading in contrast to other players. Furthermore, in a two-player game there's always the risk that the active player will use action cards to get his traded resources back and he will often have an advantage with the next dice roll.

Not that I think that trading is necessary in this game, but I also don't see the necessity to forbid it. (BTW, I very much appreciate all your comments with regard to this game. They're often very insightful and helpful. Thank you!)

FlatOnHisFace wrote:
On the contrary, there is plenty of reason to trade in a two-player game, even when you aren't the active player.

You can only hold so many resources on one region. If that region is full, you risk missing out on more resources if the next dice roll would cause it to produce or otherwise gain goods.

Similarly, if some resource is in danger of being lost (near a city and a plague is due any moment; you are holding Ore and Sheep and over 7 unprotectd resources), you might trade for something safer (held next to only settlements; not Ore nor Sheep).

You might trade to get two resources for the price of one, which isn't an uncommon deal and makes up for the active player's ability to use her received resource immediately.

In a string of like-production rolls, one player will have a lot of one resource and the other player will have a lot of some other resource. Trading balances that issue.

If you are likely to trade while not active, you'll find your opponent to be far more likely to trade while she isn't active.

Feel free to stipulate that part of the trade means that your traded-for resources won't be yanked out from under you. And if you don't trust your opponent--for indeed, the rules do not enforce honor--you can make a peek at your opponent's hand part of that deal.

In fact, I think FlatOnHisFace above makes a pretty compelling argument (diversification) for allowing it. If you forbid the immediate yanking of the resources back, there's just no harm in allowing it.

8bit wrote:
I thought about adding the rule that you can only start trading with the other player once a marketplace has been built by someone.

I like this idea! Marketplace (along with storehouse) is one of the base cards that I rarely feel compelled to play (I usually like to expand with regions more than my opponent), but if you take this further and say that you can only propose trades once you have a marketplace then it makes it more valuable and thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.