Monopoly» Forums » Rules

Subject: what's the rule on getting out of jail..? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Funny I did not see this in the rules today. When you are in jail and manage to roll doubles to get out, do you then get to roll again as the normal rule? the rules I looked at rules today but did not see any mention; it just says if you roll doubles you move out of jail that number.

we played it that you get another turn as there was no need to make an exception to the normal rule. still it was not crystal clear as the rule about jail says that when your roll doubles you simply move out of jail...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Los 28
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In the rule book that I have, it says that if you roll doubles, and thus get out of jail free, then move according to this roll, but you DO NOT get to roll again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
sundaysilence wrote:
Funny I did not see this in the rules today. When you doubles to get out of jail, do you then get to roll again as the normal rule? the rules I looked at today but did not see any mention; it just says if you roll doubles you move out of jail that number.

we played it that you get another turn as there was no need to make an exception to the normal rule. still it was not crystal clear as the rule about jail says that when your roll doubles you simply move out of jail...

Doubles that break you out of jail do not allow a bonus turn/roll. However if you use a Get Out of Jail Free card, or pay $50 and then roll doubles you do get your extra turn(s).

Consider it like this: No matter what, you have to pay something to get out of jail. In the case where you roll doubles to escape jail, the cost for getting out is your right to keep rolling.

By the way, this isn't just opinion. This is based on dozens (maybe even hundreds) of plays of video game versions of Monopoly. The game itself enforces the rules in that case, and they never let you re-roll after a jail-escaping double.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Kikola
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sundaysilence wrote:
Funny I did not see this in the rules today. When you are in jail and manage to roll doubles to get out, do you then get to roll again as the normal rule? the rules I looked at rules today but did not see any mention; it just says if you roll doubles you move out of jail that number.

This is definitely covered in the rules. Monopoly's rules have not really changed much in the past several decades, even in wording, aside from the addition of the speed die. So I think you probably just missed the appropriate section.

Look at the "Jail" section, paragraph four: "You get out of Jail by... (I) throwing doubles on any of your next three turns; if you succeed in doing this you immediately move forward the number of spaces shown by your doubles throw; even though you had thrown doubles, you do not take another turn; [...]" (my emphasis). And as Ben stated above, this exception does not apply if you use another method to get out of jail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
My rules are copyright 1961 and say:

"A player gets out of jail ..1) by throwing doubles on any of his next three turns after landing in Jail. If he succeeds in doing this he immediately moves forward the number of spaces shown by his Doubles throw..2) By purchasing a get out of jail....

So I guess the old rules did not cover this part of it..I went to that Hasbro site that is supposed to have all these versions of rules but there's so many games out there, and they dont appear to have old editions of the game rules...That website sucks by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Young
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Or how about this, if you wish to stay in Jail (i.e. later in the game when you don't want to risk landing on opponent's properties). Can you opt to NOT roll the dice at all or are you REQUIRED to, in case you roll doubles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This has come up in a couple of books about the game. Yes, you're required to roll in case you roll doubles.

The exact sequence of steps is fairly well established.

A. How many turns (each) have other people had since you landed in jail?

If 0 -- you're done, regardless of any doubles that may have sent you to jail.

If 1 or 2 -- go to B.

If 3 -- go to D.

B. If you wish to get out of jail by paying $50, or by using a Get Out of Jail Free card, hand in the money or card. Then move yourself to Free Parking and take the rest of your turn as if you'd never been in jail (including rolling again if you get doubles). Otherwise continue with C.

C. Roll the dice. If it's not doubles you're done. If it's doubles, move that number and complete your turn normally, except that you don't get to roll again this turn.

D. If you wish to get out of jail by paying $50, or by using a Get Out of Jail Free card, hand in the money or card. Then move yourself to Free Parking and take the rest of your turn as if you'd never been in jail (including rolling again if you get doubles). Otherwise continue with E.

E. Roll the dice. If it's doubles, move that number and complete your turn normally, except that you don't get to roll again this turn. If it's not doubles, you must pay $50 or hand in a Get Out of Jail Free card. Then move the number you rolled and complete your turn normally.

[Source: Maxine Brady, The Monopoly Book.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
what on earth are you talking about? Is this some house rule of yours? An explanation would help to understand your post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.