Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
On Round 2, the Lazax can get a PDS grid with Deep Space Cannons going. When they grab 8, they can place 4 pair combinations of GFs and Fighters. That steers the other players to go for Maneuvering Jets to reduce the effects of the PDS, X-89 Bacterial Weapon to eradicate the GFs, and Auto Defense Turrets to kill off the fighters. Lazax can still get 2 more PDS-related techs to increase their hit chance AND improve their GFs on PDS planets.

Players going for the offensive are faced with 6 PDS shots on the attack and on the counter-attack, so they'd need 1 carrier full of fighters to absorb the first attack, and another carrier full of fighters to absorb the second. The Lazax player likely has Destroyers present to wipe out your fighters and you brought Destroyers to wipe out his fighters. As you take your casualties from the first round of battle, you're likely to let the remaining destroyers and fighters die before the cruisers and carriers. If and when you succeed in space battle, you still have to face the invasion. If and when you win that, you're likely to have less than the number of GFs you had before and they could be res-ing their GFs at MR.

Now you face the counter-attack. 6 PDS shots hit. You already lost all your fighters and have no choice but to take it in capital ships. He sends a carrier full of fighters and another full of GFs plus other capital ships. Your destroyers were wiped out before they could use AFB and your carriers can't defend themselves. Your cruisers hit, but they're taken in fighters. You lose the planet again through invasion combat and Dacxive Animators res-s both your GFs.

They haven't built yet. They build in an adjacent system and place the units you just destroyed back where they were. Then they use 8 and place even more fighters and GFs in the SD system.

I see a strategy against the Lazax of player A attacking a system, letting Lazax perform a counter attack, then player A's treatied player B attacks the weakened Lazax system before reinforcements are sent.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q T
msg tools
mb
nice, with one warning - as far as i found it, you cannot play with Shattered Empire's Tehcnology Adnvances, meaning you can't take neither ADT nor Maneuvring Jets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Szymanski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually Fall of Empire states to not use optional rules and new technologies from SE are not listed as optional.
For me, SE technologies are must because they balance the game - in my games of FotE we will be playing with new technologies. Also, I will ask other players to play with Trade II, Technology II and maybe Warfare II, as I think they are more balanced.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I'd say if you like Trade II simply because of there being no secondary, add that onto Trade I. Trade I is necessary as otherwise Hacan and Lazax alliance is concrete.

Tech II will make the Lazax even more happy, but it will allow the other players to play catch-up easier. Warfare I is great for everyone already.

Warfare II would either give Lazax a significant increase in their defense or give the player trying to attack the Lazax a +1 attack, as opposed to an attack here, then attack again there with things with 2 movement reinforcing.

I agree that SE techs remain in play. Otherwise, let's go ahead and let Lazax win every game with the uncorrected Advanced Fighters.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
I'm Human, I promise!
badge
Lies, I'm totally a Cylon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quiciuq wrote:
nice, with one warning - as far as i found it, you cannot play with Shattered Empire's Tehcnology Adnvances, meaning you can't take neither ADT nor Maneuvring Jets.
TI3 SotT {Page 15} Optional Rules in the Scenario wrote:
When playing the "Fall of the Empire" scenario, players should use all the new Action and Technology Cards found in this expansion. In addition, players should play with the rules under "Option 5: Mechanized Units."

All other optional rules (including those found in the core game and all components from the Shattered Empire expansion) cannot be used when playing this scenario.
When you play a 7 player game, someone will only have the SE version of Assault Cannon, which requires Automated Defense Turrets.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Coleman
United Kingdom
Hampton
Middlesex
flag msg tools
Gygu wrote:
Actually Fall of Empire states to not use optional rules and new technologies from SE are not listed as optional.
For me, SE technologies are must because they balance the game - in my games of FotE we will be playing with new technologies. Also, I will ask other players to play with Trade II, Technology II and maybe Warfare II, as I think they are more balanced.


It actually says don’t use any of the components from SE, which would include all tech cards. Bugger me if I’m going to sort out all the action cards though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
boxjuggler wrote:
Gygu wrote:
Actually Fall of Empire states to not use optional rules and new technologies from SE are not listed as optional.
For me, SE technologies are must because they balance the game - in my games of FotE we will be playing with new technologies. Also, I will ask other players to play with Trade II, Technology II and maybe Warfare II, as I think they are more balanced.


It actually says don’t use any of the components from SE, which would include all tech cards. Bugger me if I’m going to sort out all the action cards though.

It does, but I think it was meant to refer to the components that go along with the Optional Rules.

Without using SE components, you couldn't play a 7 player game, since the Orange and Grey colors are SE components. And, as mentioned, those two colors don't even have the "original" Assault Cannon tech, which seems to imply the SE techs were meant to be a true replacement.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.