Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Sinden
United Kingdom
Twickenham
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A rare occasion where a game gets 2 plays in the same evening, but Gareth was very keen to squeeze this into the last hour and Barrie and myself more than happy to indulge, even if it did mean missing a game of Resistance at the table next door.

Barrie and Gareth had both played copious times before on their ipads and were professing a sound knowledge of the game (whilst bemoaning that they actually had to shuffle cards themselves rather than pushing a button to do this... what kind of lightweight gamers are they ?). In their defence we were using the teeny-weenie cards from the original US edition, but still, you’d think they’d never played Dominion before....

Basically it’s vanilla TTR rules, but with some route cards involving countries instead of places, and some offering a choice of multiple destinations. Pretty simple and very little opportunity for even Gareth to get the rules wrong... although he did pull a fast one early in the game proclaiming that there was a typo on the board (Brig instead of Brio on the card) and used this to take a new route card... hmmm, hmmm...

So what happened...? Lots and lots of cards in the early rounds... everyone up to about 20+ before the first train was laid. Not sure about anyone else but I found I wasn’t paying that much attention to the other trains on the board whilst collecting my own sets. Unlike the Nordic’s map which is more compact and far more prone to blockage, this map felt big enough to accommodate 3 strategies and so routes could be taken in order rather than having to grab the bottlenecks early and try to fill in the gaps. Having a couple of country to country cards from east to west I was spreading across the middle while Gareth and Barrie seemed to be building routes in the north.

To be honest, not much happened during the game, apart from few tunnels failing to get completed. No one really interfered too much with other tracks and everyone seemed to be getting to where they needed to be...

I was the first to collect more route cards, always a promising sign to judge how you’re doing compared to others and it looked promising that I’d like France to Austria. Then, as things started to approach an end game Barrie suddenly went on a route collecting spree I think picking up new route cards 5 for 5 goes in a row... trying to make up for the shortfall in points gained with routes from all the bonuses with the cards. Gareth then brought things to a close taking a couple of small 2 and 1 routes to use up his last trains.

Gareth counted first and hit 96, I started off with -9 for failing to complete a route to Lausanne (cursing the lack of red cards available towards the end) but having picked up a few lucky (already completed) routes from my new routes collection I ended up with a whopping 113... all eyes turned to Barrie who had almost a full deck of route cards to work through. Not a promising start as he suddenly realised that Martigny was not in Italy (note to self, never plan a European trip with Barrie if you want to arrive !) and began by going backwards on the scoretrack... in the end a lot of the cards were low value and although he’d completed more cards than anyone else he could only ruffle up 97 points... enough to pip Gareth.... until Gareth added on 10 for his longest route.

So the moral of the game would appear to be that iPad victories are worth nothing in the real world... and that shuffling is for real men.

James 113, Gareth 106 and Barrie 97

(check our weekly blog for more game session reports)

http://isleworthboardgamers.blogspot.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report! I love this game both in its 2-player and 3- player versions, and I've never played anything but the boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.