Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colleen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Cate! You are the most generous, kind, well-deserving person I know for this honor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cate108 wrote:

I got nothing. Do you have a name for this bear pose?

Looks like a form of shavasana to me.

Cate108 wrote:

How about this one?

There's one called "Plow". How about "Snowplow"?

Congrats on the GotW nomination!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmb
Cate108 wrote:
Runcible Spoon wrote:
Congrats!

I noticed that you have the MB that goes something like "Plays single players version of board games" and I was just wondering if you have any favorites in this format and why?

I hope you enjoy your week in the spotlight!

Thank you!

I have an iPad and I love to play single player games before I go to sleep. I play Zooloretto, Tikal, Ticket to Ride (Usually not multi-player because I don't want to wait for other players. The bots are fast.), etc. I bought almost every game on the iPad geeklists.

For non-board game iPad games, I like Marple (which is like Sherlock), Civ Revolutions, and Puzzle Quest 2.

There are some games that have multiplayer real-time on the iPad, if you have the ipad 2 you can even voice chat during, kinda awesome

You can add me in Game Center if you want, I'm AeneaGames there (Aenea was taken, grmpf!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
mbmbmbmb
Vedantin wrote:

Stop shuffling and deal already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cate108 wrote:
Runcible Spoon wrote:
Congrats!

I noticed that you have the MB that goes something like "Plays single players version of board games" and I was just wondering if you have any favorites in this format and why?

I hope you enjoy your week in the spotlight!

Thank you!

I have an iPad and I love to play single player games before I go to sleep. I play Zooloretto, Tikal, Ticket to Ride (Usually not multi-player because I don't want to wait for other players. The bots are fast.), etc. I bought almost every game on the iPad geeklists.

For non-board game iPad games, I like Marple (which is like Sherlock), Civ Revolutions, and Puzzle Quest 2.

Excellent.

Do any of those games simulate flood prevention, mitigation and clean-up? J/K

That was very kind of you to help out your neighbor and I hope the clean-up is proceeding as smoothly as those kinds of things go and I hope you enjoy the rest of the week as GotW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... Cate hasn't been geek of the week before?!

Well done.
Thank you Cate for all you do.You are an inspiration!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have big shoes to fill!

I don't think so!!!!. You walk tall, and it's others that should strive to fill yours.

I picked #1 as the lie. These are my favorites, because they're all feasible, and none stand out like a sore thumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
Quote:
I have big shoes to fill!

I don't think so!!!!. You walk tall, and it's others that should strive to fill yours.

I picked #1 as the lie. These are my favorites, because they're all feasible, and none stand out like a sore thumb.

Actually they're only US 7 so not hard I would't have thought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Other Steve
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cdefrisco wrote:
Wow... Cate hasn't been geek of the week before?!

Seriously! Congratulations, Cate, this is incredibly well-deserved.

I spend almost all of my Geek time on the RPG side, but I know of Cate because of her generosity and thoughtfulness. People like her elevate BGG from a fun place to hang out to one of the best communities on the internet!

I just have one question (and apologies if it has already been answered, haven't read the whole thread yet):

1 How did you get to be so nice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Thayne
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Cate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No good deed goes unpunished.
badge
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There's a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
G'day Cate,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions, so to start with here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak Hook questions for you:
Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player (optional, many non-wargamers wouldn't have an answer for this) - Forbidden Island
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players - Battle Line
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players - Taluva
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players - Alien Frontier
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players - Cosmic Encounter
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players - Merchant of Venus
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple ) - Advanced Civ

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships - Eminent Domain (Want to Play!)
Witches – Dominion (The new expansion had the Young Witches)
Trains - String Railway. It it stupid in a good way.
Transport (may include trains) - Regatta
Workers (paid or otherwise) – Age of Empire III (Didn't it change it's name?)
Trading – Traders of Carthage
Building – Glory to Rome
Pink - Wood train set for Ticket to Ride
Theme – Downfall of Pompeii (Love the theme).
Ships – Advanced Civilization
Money – Long Shot
Purple – Wits and Wagers
Government - Troyes
Vampires – Buffy the Vampire Slayer (The TV show is GREAT! Never played the board game)
Infrastructure - Moongha Invaders: Mad Scientists and Atomic Monsters Attack the Earth!
Dice – Alien Frontier
Dinosaurs – The Creature that ate Sheboygan (I hope this is close enough).
Gemstones – Incan Gold
Dragons – Defenders of the Realm
Beer – 7 Wonders: Manneken Pis Promo (Isn’t that the one where the winner has to buy beer?)
Wands – Tarot (I don’t know much about it. I think that is one of the suits.)

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

Moongha Invaders: Mad Scientists and Atomic Monsters Attack the Earth! – it is HI-larious. Wish it was easier to get!

Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?

Drakon
Cave Troll
Innovation
Biblios
Troyes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There's a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
mbmbmbmbmb
Hida Mann wrote:
I bring you greetings from VGG and congratulations from myself, Cate!

Your tireless generosity is well known around here and it's been my pleasure to 'meet' you through some wins.

*Is there anything you've given away over the years that you wish you had back?

Yes, I can't believe I traded Saint Petersburg to Gary! (Just kidding, Gary - I am glad you enjoy it!).

I have had some trade/gift regrets but being a math trader, I just wait for the next math trade to come around again.

The point of gaming and BGG is to have fun so I try not to sweat about the games I have or don't have.

Hida Mann wrote:
*What's the greatest piece of generosity that someone else has bestowed on you before?

Enjoy the week!

There have been many acts of generosity here on BGG. People have shared files, parts, etc.

Being Geek of the Week is a great gift. Also, I won Age of Renaissance in one of the other patron badge drives last year. Plus, I won one of Howitzer's lovely copies of Dune. That was all great fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kamchatka wrote:
Cate, I'm not sure we've ever run into each other around here, but you sound like a really amazing person...

Quote:
I am descended from a Green Mountain Boy who marched with Ethan Allen.

...and, if this is true, our great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfathers knew each other - my mom traces her lineage back to one of the American progenitors of guerilla warfare, too.

Do you still think Illuminati is worth playing? I enjoy it, warts and all, but many of my gamer friends howl at me for liking it.

Then you, sir, are my super special great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather geekbuddy. Let us pinky swear a loyalty blood oath. cool

My multi-great grandfather was Captain Wait Hopkins. His brother was Esek Hopkins, who was the first and only Commander in Chief of the Continental Navy during the American Revolutionary War. His other famous brother was Stephen Hopkins, who was an American political leader from Rhode Island who signed the Declaration of Independence.

Breaking News

The lie was that I owned nine cats. The most I ever owned at one time was 2 cats (4 cats is my lifetime total).

For what it is worth, my sister owns 9 cats at this moment. shake Luck for her, she is married to a rabid cat lover who gets up early to empty all the litter boxes.

Yes, I think Illuminati is still worth playing. It is a humorous, silly game but we need room for silly games in this world. Drink beer, laugh and have the Boy Scouts of America control NASA. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joefain wrote:
You're one of the good ones!

At the 'Geek, however, it's hard to find a bad one.

Congratulations

Thank you for your kind words.

I could not agree with you more! BGGers are Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mariogolbee wrote:
Cate108 wrote:

What will I do with that geekgold bounty? Give away avatars, what else?

If you need an avatar or knows someone who does, send them my way.

Hi,

Cate sent me 70GG earlier welcoming me to BGG and asking me to buy myself an avatar and some micro badges. Her only request, after some of the warmest welcome wishes a person can give, was that I make one of them a math trader badge. I am in awe. I've been falling in love with this site since I began lurking on it several months ago, and gestures like this make me never want to leave. Thank you, Cate. I will no longer feel awkward every time I look up at my name and see no avatar.

Congrats on being the Geek of the Week, Cate!

Now for questions...

1) What was your favorite class of character for D&D?
2) What is your opinion of games by Looney Labs?
3) What's your favorite cheese and is it from Wisconsin, or elsewhere?

P.S. I usually use the same avatar across boards, but Wakko seems fitting for my avatar here on BGG. Or at least for now.

Welcome! How did you make out on your first math trade? Aren't they fun?

1) I liked to play clerics. My favorite was Apolla, a worshiper of Apollo. She became so powerful that no one would let her into campaigns anymore.

2) Any game is a great game if you enjoy it. (On the other hand) I am sorry but for me, Fluxx Suxx (or as I like to spell it Fluxxuxx). My favorite example of why is here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/107627/me-vs-my-cat

On the other-other hand, It might not be bad to play a game with my cats. meeple

3) Cheese is a message from the divine that we are loved and should be happy. All cheese is good and Wisconsin cheese is the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scruffdog wrote:
Congrats, thanks for making BGG a better place with your friendly and helpful presence.

If you could have a superpower, what would it be and why?

Fun question! I would have giant wings. I would take the secret identity of Hawk Chick. My mission? To fly lazy circles on sunny days. My minions would be my cats (who will also have wings). They would be called The Kitty Hawks. We would not be superheroes as much as we would be supernuisances. "Help Hawk Chick, I am being mugged!" "I am sorry citizen, I am not done flying lazy circles in the sunshine."

Scruffdog wrote:
What do you like for breakfast?

I always want super fresh glazed donuts. What do I actually eat? Some kind of protein. Eggs are good. It balances my energy through out the day!

Scruffdog wrote:
What do you drive/pedal/fly to your office/lair/secret lab?

Hawk Chick would fly to her lair. I walk to my office.

Scruffdog wrote:
What upcoming game(s) are you most looking forward to?

Eminent Domain

Scruffdog wrote:
What did the football coach say to the broken vending machine?

Peace,
Daryl

Umm? I'll give you a Farve (five), if you give me a quarter back (quarterback).

Thanks, Daryl for the kind words and fun stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Bravo. Very well deserved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btw i'm maja
Finland
Pori
Finland
flag msg tools
Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving. Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Cate!

Thank you for being such a Generous Geek!

I saw you like Northern Exposure (me too!) - if you were to move to Cicely, just like Joel, what game(s) would you take with you?

Sunny greetings from Krakow, Poland!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've heard of a "CAT scan" right?

I can't find this on youtube, but this is worth going to:

http://bcove.me/8zp0dqnm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony DuLac
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't happen to a nicer, more generous, caring gamer. Congrats, Cate!! You totally deserve it!! Lucky!! Your only flaw is being a Packer fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
So what is one question or topic that hasn't been brought up yet that you wish had been?

And how difficult has it been to survive the paparazzi this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
valkyrie47 wrote:
Congratulations Cate!!!

Here are some questions!

1) Where did this whole thing start, with inundating the Geek of the Week with questions?

Thanks for helping me out here, Sam.

valkyrie47 wrote:
2) What is your favorite game that has to do with sailing?

Yacht Race

valkyrie47 wrote:
3) What is your favorite game that does not have to do with sailing? (stretching here )

OK, what is the opposite of sailing? Abandon Ship

valkyrie47 wrote:
4) What's the gateway game you recommend most?

....I tried! See you soon, sorry I missed Von Trier again.

There are so many good ones. Long Shot is great because people end up cheering for the horses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shyne wrote:
What is with our weekly geeks having to deal with these volatile environmental hazards: Sam with Earthquakes, now Cate with Floods... bags not being next GotW! Not that I do enough to ever be anyway!

Not surprising that Cate is busy helping others though. Seriously, from what I've seen (read), this lady just gives & gives & gives.

Cate, it's great that at the very least, in a place like this, you can receive some recognition for your efforts.
* BTW what did you briefly change your avatar to & why? Just wondering why it caused an outcry?

OK, outcry was blatant hyperbole.

Here is the quote that caused me to not change my avatar change:

scoutmom wrote:
First - you are known for your cute polar bear. So add a Packer ( yuk ) helmet or whatever.

Second - Please, please, please, do not get an animated avatar!!!

Except for her misguided opinion on the Packers, Scoutmom was right.

Also, the polar bear (sans hat) is on the box of the The BoardGameGeek Game.

Here are the gifs I was considering:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what do you guys think of this as a possible new avatar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
mbmbmbmb
Cate108 wrote:
So what do you guys think of this as a possible new avatar?

I recently saw that animated GIF and fell in love with them! Would make a cute avatar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.