Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently ordered some of the older metal terminators off of Ebay, but some of the not yet attached arms are bearing the wrong weapons, and I'd just as soon get a couple replacement arms with the proper weaponry to glue on instead. This leads me to a small problem. The changing scale of terminators over the years has got me a little hesitant as to which bits to buy on Ebay since different scale of arms upon the same figure could be a big problem, at least it will be when they're not supposed to be Chaos terminators.

For anyone who has been dealing with GW space marines over the years, is this anything to worry about? Any suggestions as to how to tell when I'm buying plastic termie bits on Ebay whether they'll be significantly outsized for my metal minis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some experience with the various editions of terminators.

Apart from the plastic terminators that came with the 2nd edition boxed set, all of the plastic terminator components will be too large to work with earlier metal terminators.

The 1989 terminators (these guyshttp://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2016smterminators-h.htm)can share arms with the 2nd edition metals (the ones that look like these minus the feathers http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x4/c93474-03.htm) but the size of the shoulder pads is quite different and makes them look a little odd.

I just finished putting together a bunch of metal terminator squads (3 of the 1989 versions and 3 of the 2nd edition era ones) and have a few spare arms floating around so let me know what you need as I might be able to help you out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, with the release of the current plastic terminators in 2005, they want to the proper scale size of Terminators. So anything before 2005 is compatible, and anything after 2005 is compatible is a good rule of thumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
There were two generations of metal miniatures of Space Marine Terminators.
1st generation:
normal Terminators (1989)
2nd generation:
normal Terminators (1995)
Wolf Guard Terminators (1992, with fur etc.)
Deathwing Terminators (1992? with feathers)

The miniatures of both generations have the same scale, but the style differs. You could mix arms and bodies of the miniatures of both generations, but they look a bit different. The main difference between both generations is the shape of the shoulder armour.
The plastic terminators of Space Hulk 2nd edition (1996) have the same scale and style as the normal terminators of the 2nd generation.

The later plastic miniatures of Terminators are much bigger. You should not mix parts.

There were also two generations of metal miniatures of Traitor/Chaos Terminators.
Traitor Terminators (1989)
Chaos Terminators (1996)

They look very different, the parts can not be mixed well. The Traitor Terminators from 1989 are similiar to the normal Terminators from 1989, the Chaos Terminators from 1996 are hardly similiar to the 2nd generation Terminators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies, guys! Much appreciated!

While the shoulder pads of newer, plastic terminator arms are too big when compared to older shoulder pads, would the arms themselves still work on an older metal termie (say from 1989) if you used the pair of them, right and left arm both? In such a case, both shoulder pads would then match, wouldn't they? Or are the arms themselves over long enough that they would give an older terminator an apelike appearance?

Plastic arms like these?:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

bolter wrote:

I just finished putting together a bunch of metal terminator squads (3 of the 1989 versions and 3 of the 2nd edition era ones) and have a few spare arms floating around so let me know what you need as I might be able to help you out.

That would be very cool. I'm looking for 3 or 4 left arms with power fists and a right arm with a storm bolter. I believe all my metal terminators are from 1989 although I'm not 100% sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
The new arms are too long, they look odd if attached to the old bodies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! That's unfortunate, but not a surprise. Oh well, even if I just stick with the metal arms I've got, they'll still look darn good - I'll just have a heck of a lot of terminators with chain fists instead of power fists. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.