Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The interview ranges across a few topics, but Richard Garfield discusses Netrunner, and has a vision (of sorts) for Netrunner's future as a non-collectible game. Yes, gasp away.

No, it's nothing definite or even all that plausible at this point, but still, a pretty cool interview, and it's great to hear his ongoing enthusiasm for his, ahem, best design.

http://littlemetaldog.com/2011/06/19/episode-23-a-bit-of-mag...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Fox
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gasp...... excitement! a new version with new art and a revamp would be amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At what point does he start talking about netrunner in the interview please ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's about 13 minutes in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless WOTC has somehow gotten the greenlight from R.Talsorian AND Hasbro then this is just whishfull thinking or smoke-n-mirrors.

Hasbros thoughts will likely be thus:
"Ok. This guy wants to do a new version of a game he *tossed into a furnace* rather than selling? And this is a liscensed setting from a company that still wants to see him burned at the stake? And he wants to chuck upwards of 500k to 1mil$ on new art for? (assume the average of 250-500$ per card with from 100-200 non-duplicate cards) Yeah riiiiight..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
If the idea is so preposterous, why not just sell him the property and let him take his chances on it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a discussion thats been gone over again and again with people who were there when this all started and the consensus is still the same.

Talsorian isnt likely to hand over their property without a fight.
As gaming history has allready shown us. These sorts of release of control allmost invariably end badly for the game or company taken over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
As gaming history has allready shown us. These sorts of release of control allmost invariably end badly for the game or company taken over.

It needn't be based on Talsorian's world setting at all. In fact, that's often given as one reason (among many) that NR failed in the market--Cyberpunk 2020 has a very niche appeal. I know that license added nothing for me. Any generic hacker/cyberpunk setting would do fine.

Regardless of a retheme, the issue is whether Garfield, as he notes, is willing to spend some of his "political capital" to get the rights to revert back to him. He says it's a possibility at some point, particularly when he frees up enough time to devote to the idea. I'll take his word for it. Do you know more about the situation than he does?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

"Ok. This guy wants to do a new version of a game he *tossed into a furnace* rather than selling? And this is a liscensed setting from a company that still wants to see him burned at the stake?

Omega2064 wrote:
This is a discussion thats been gone over again and again with people who were there when this all started and the consensus is still the same.

Wait! What exactly happened between R. Talsorian and Garfield? I wasn't aware there was bad blood there. I thought the game just didn't sell as well as might be hoped and was quietly dropped. I didn't realize there had been any more serious drama.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont have the note handy but it went something like this.
WOTC essentially wanted the name and and the fans and not much else, their original contracts pretty much left RT out of the loop totally, possibly cutting royalties. After some struggle it settles to I believe like a 50/50 deal.
Cyberpunk had a fair following back then and a stronger playerbase than ShadowRun for a while.
The game didnt fail. WOTC simply didnt advertise it hardly any. Battletech CCG got more coverage and that want much either. For some too apparently the use of often low end CG art on some cards didnt help things either.
When the game wasnt selling as well or fast as WOTC wanted. Instead of just waiting, (or oh I dont know... ADVERTISING...) They tossed the unsold games into an INCINERATOR. This also cut Talsorian out of the royalties due them. Hence the bad blood to this day.

Why doesnt WOTC just use some generic cyberpunk setting? No idea. Could be Talsorian would nail them for evading whats owed them. Maybee WOTC just wants to piss off Talsorian some more. Who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cyberpunk is fun of course, but I enjoy the way the game plays more than the art.

There have been suggestions in the past of making a fantasy-themed treasure-hiding and -hunting game using similar rules.

I'd certainly buy it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic schmidt
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi guys, so somethings are the same like in my interview of him 3 months ago, it is good to here that He is still interests to revive the game.

BUT Netrunner is Netrunner No RETHEMED please, no problem for new art if it respects the dark atmosphere of the game and no problem to not be a ccg for me

I'm actually financing by myself new paintings from old Netrunner artists hope that i'll get around 100 cards soon to propose to WOTC.

Richard told me 3 months ago in Cannes that he know very well Mike Pondsmith the boss of R talsorian games, i think it is hust a question of time and motivation from Richard now ...

Richard go on !! we are all Netrunner dedicated fan behind you !

Gambatte massai !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic schmidt
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/669148/netrunner-new-officia...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/646896/netrunner-unreleased-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wormhole surfer wrote:
BUT Netrunner is Netrunner No RETHEMED please

When I wrote that earlier, I meant specifically a retheme from Cyberpunk 2020 to generic "classic" cyberpunk (William Gibson-esque). I mean, surely swapping "Rache Bartmoss" for some other name, or Arasaka for some generic-sounding Japanese word, isn't going to make or break the theme, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic schmidt
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
@ Jon yes i agree but i know that there is no relation problem between Richard an R talasorian games but don't know about WOTC and Rtalsorian ... it depends on how things evolve ... if Richard gets his game back it is possible to still have Cyberpunk 2020 theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is there any interest in discussion what might be done with an NR Version 2?

I enjoy the game as it is, but there are a number of things I'd like to see "tweaked".

An example: I think there is a minor "granularity" problem between actions, cards, and bits at the moment. I'd rather get twice the bits for an action, and have the bit-costs be *approximately* doubled, thereby allowing better tuning of card and effect costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gyc365 wrote:

Probably a thread hijack here (this is "News", of sorts), but why not open up a new thread pointing out the issues and tweaks you recommend for NR Redux? I'm sure some people would like to discuss it (myself included).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic schmidt
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gyc365 wrote:

I enjoy the game as it is, but there are a number of things I'd like to see "tweaked".

An example: I think there is a minor "granularity" problem between actions, cards, and bits at the moment. I'd rather get twice the bits for an action, and have the bit-costs be *approximately* doubled, thereby allowing better tuning of card and effect costs.

I really don't see what are the problem with cost in NEtrunner the game is very well balanced as it is ... eventually it has to me modernized graphically and economically speaking ( lcg model or dominion model) but no more to me

WHat is NEtrunner redux ? sorry sometimes as you could have seen my english isn't good ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic schmidt
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
the problem is that many people are waiting dor netrunner if you change too strong the game it will not be netrunner anymore ... the "new" version has to be 100% compatible with the old one ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"redux" is a relatively unusual word, but is generally understood by native English speakers (well - at least by people smart enough to play NetRunner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redux_(literary_term)

If you like "mix-heavy" music styles you might see it occasionally in titles.

I'll start a new thread on possible design tweaks. I'll play an ESC, then copy in your dissenting posts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer - I thought there's be a Garfield cartoon here somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.