Subject: The Heaviest 3 Player Game Ever rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Medievalbanquet
United States
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the heaviest 3 player game that takes over 3 hours to sap all of one's brain power causing he/she to lose their will to live but its fun?

Non-traditional wargame only, please. And, games that are struggles with 3, not games that you can play with 3 but really aren't bloodbaths at that number. Like Struggle of Empires- sure, you can play it with 3 but its not fun at that number.

Roads & Boats

Antiquity

These came up in our discussion last night. What else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Easily,

God's Playground

I have this on my Wishlist. I played it just once with two friends. It only plays three and is a real brain burner clocking in at least three hours. The terrific thing here is you must struggle against each other, fight against the game but also give just enough cooperation such that everything doesn't fall apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hagen
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
age agree eek egg erg gag gage game gamer gee geek gem germ keg kegger mag mage meek mega merge reek rem
mbmbmb
I'm told After the Flood is such a game, though I haven't played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Medievalbanquet
United States
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
These are good calls all things being considered. However, for some reason I'm not a huge fan of them. I LOVE Wallace games but these have fell a bit short in our group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nicholson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
I always like to recommend Titan. It weighs 9 lbs which is heavier than most games. Though perhaps it is a traditional wargame. I don't know the traditional vs non-traditional wargame distinction.

It plays very well with three players and avoids the kingmaker problem inherent in most 3 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Listening to: Mark Helias - Loopin' the Cool // Michael Blake - Drift // Ari Brown - Venus
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Maria, or its predecessor Friedrich (which is designed for four but works well with three). Brilliant games, easy to learn but with great depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SkarfBoy wrote:
I always like to recommend Titan. It weighs 9 lbs which is heavier than most games. Though perhaps it is a traditional wargame. I don't know the traditional vs non-traditional wargame distinction.

It plays very well with three players and avoids the kingmaker problem inherent in most 3 player games.

It's also the greatest game ever created. Good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Listening to: Mark Helias - Loopin' the Cool // Michael Blake - Drift // Ari Brown - Venus
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're into sci-fi, consider Web and Starship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages of course - but I see it's in your hot top 10 already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric N
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
This is Corruption by Doug Kovacs
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to go with Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648.

It's not quite 3 hours, but El Caballero is quite a brain burner also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
Newtonville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... or Titan and The Republic of Rome..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
If you're into sci-fi, consider Web and Starship.

First thing I thought of! Glad you covered it!

And if you want hard science, I'd second the above nomination for High Frontier. Also Maria and Friedrich.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Williams
Australia
Googong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is "heavy"? It depends on experience and individual perspective. I'm lucky to be a hybrid type gamer that thoroughly enjoys both Euro's and wargame / simulations. My last two purchases have been "Clash of Monarch's" and "Lancaster".

I'm a huge fan of God's Playground. But "heavy" is not a word I'd use to describe it. For me, a Euro can't usually achieve "heavy" classification. A game that takes a few hours or less can be outstanding, entertaining, and involve countless decisions - but it usually won't be "heavy". A simulation on the other hand that a sequence of poor moves (or damn good ones) could mean the point of no return for a player - that's "heavy" regardless of size of rule book.

A good Euro will try to keep all players "in it" and interested. Most simply don't allow the removal of a player and that's a good thing. Whilst we all play to try to win, I think this factor above all others denies me from ever being able to call a Euro game "heavy".

For note purposes, I consider Clash of Monarch's to be medium weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
Newtonville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about:

Throneworld
Time Agent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai BUT everyone MUST be a great player or it is not fun. Because it is a brain melter if one player is really not up for concentrating the game is ruined for everyone.

Very good three player game.

I like Brass as a three player game as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
Newtonville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Genghisx wrote:
Samurai BUT everyone MUST be a great player or it is not fun. Because it is a brain melter if one player is really not up for concentrating the game is ruined for everyone.

Very good three player game.

I like Brass as a three player game as well.

I like Brass too but I have never had it take more than 2+ hours.

Another on is Baltimore & Ohio. I have never played but by all accounts it takes 4-6 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Cormier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
May I suggest 18AL. It's not a wargame, but share the strong conflictual aspect with them. It might not be the heaviest of the 18XX serie but it takes easily three hours and plays well with three players (and is readily available). A true extenuous brainburner, especially when familiar with the rules and rythm... and very competitive and agressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I love Maria and Friedrich, but they are not as heavy as Clash of Monarchs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Leesch
United States
Buffalo Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
God's Playground and After the Flood are both excellent choices for your query, but for my money the title goes to Here I stand. It plays extremely well with 3, and will take you about 6-9 hours to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad DeShon
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
Quality Affordable Gaming Tables - BoardGameTables.com
badge
Quality Affordable Gaming Tables - BoardGameTables.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
How about Maria, or its predecessor Friedrich (which is designed for four but works well with three). Brilliant games, easy to learn but with great depth.

I was going to suggest Maria as well. A brain burner designed for three.

Bastian Bux wrote:
Die Macher (for 3 is not intense enough)

I liked Die Macher with three the one time I played it. You have to pay a lot more attention to what the other people are doing. More opportunities to make a sub-optimal play that hurts the others guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuland is a very heavy (Read; Brain Burner) excellent three player game. Where it comes up short is that it should only take two hours to play.

I guess you could play it twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Norris
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Without having played every game listed in this thread, I might chance a suggestion that Mecanisburgo and including the two expansions is a very heavy game. Complex, but not necessarily complicated in game play terms.

I just recently picked up Vanished Planet based on the recommendation that it is a heavy (maybe deep might be a better adjective) game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It fits your description perfectly! And yes, it's a war game.. with an animal theme on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
We'd always enjoyed a 3-player "Battle" utilizing the entire PRESTAGS components, with our OWN 'configuration' for this! We 'bought' our ARMY, then arrayed one HALF against the LEFT and RIGHT 'opponent'. With *Secret Deployment* -having an album cover set upright betwixt us- then it became quite interesting ONCE all were then revealed. Someone would pick the map from theirs-or another suitable type-with another player selecting where on that they wished to "Set Up" initially, and the 3rd determining other 'characteristics' on stacking and the like.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamb2k9 wrote:

It fits your description perfectly! And yes, it's a war game.. with an animal theme on it.

C'mon,DS is not that heavy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.