Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Der Das wrote:
Congratulations Jack. Time to uncork that vintage bottle of Chablis you've been keeping for an extra special occasion eh?

Is there a better one than GotW?

Quote:
Q: what is your favourite wine?

Have a great week. Cheers!

Thanks - for the good wishes and an easy question (finally). While generally I lean red in my preferences, I would have to pick a white - a Cotat Sancerre will always be a welcome gift (although 2001 was really a down year).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbuckingham wrote:
Congrats Jack! I'll ask some questions later this week.

Thanks Matt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runcible Spoon wrote:
Congrats Jack!

Thank you!

Quote:
Just a few questions.

1. Are their any memorable (either good or bad or something interesting in between) titles that your German friend used to bring back each year? Do any of those same titles make it to the table anymore?

He used to bring the classics (or at least what are considered classics these days). Settlers, Carcassonne, El Grande etc. I don't remember too many dogs, although I wasn't too fond of Junta. Getting the classics to the table is hard. Between myself and a friend in our regular gaming group we have a huge number of games and expansions, with new ones coming in frequently. The new ones usually take precedence but I do try to pull out the classics every now and then.

Quote:
2. Upper-Midwest American Cuisine vs. British Cuisine, which is more likely to cause hardening of the arteries? Any other thoughts on food differences?

Oh, the former wins hands down. British cuisine is really somewhat underrated, mostly because very few people in British towns and cities seem to know how to cook these days (sad but true IMO), but when you get someone who does, you can really be surprised. I pride myself on my traditional (or at least somewhat traditional) Christmas dinners.

Quote:
3. In the time you have been in the U.S. do you have any favored travel locations for holidays and vacations?

In the U.S.? I actually really like Seattle. I'd like to see more of the Pacific Northwest.

Quote:
4. I have never been involved with a math trade. Usually I just use the search feature on BGG and find game trades that way. Are their advantages to a math trade that might make that a better option?

Absolutely. You don't have to find a direct match. It's often hard to find someone who is willing to trade what you want and is looking for what you're willing to give up in return. A math trade allows you to use intermediaries. Suppose that I have something you want, and am willing to trade it, but you don't have anything for trade that I want. Let's then suppose that I want something Matt has, he doesn't want my item, but he does want yours. We can then make a trade where he gets your item, you get mine and I get his. This is the basis of a math trade - it increases your chances of making a trade because you don't need a direct match with anyone.

Quote:
I hope you have a great week in the spotlight!

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Congrats Jack!

Thank you!

Quote:
My usual questions

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?

Green, but I try to mix it up. If there's an unusual colour I will often pick that one.

Quote:
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?

Oh, I love the Spring.

Quote:
d10-3Do play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?

I'm slowly learning the Guitar (very slowly, I must admit). Next up, Blues harmonica.

Quote:
d10-4Having fun?

So far, yes, thank you.

Quote:
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Jack?

I actually know this. My mother tells me that she and my father had an argument about this. He wanted Jacob.

Quote:
d10-6What is your favourite snack?

Cheese.

Quote:
d10-7 What is your favourite alcoholic / non-alcoholic drink?

Alcoholic - a Cotat Sancerre
Non-alcoholic - what does that mean? But seriously - chai tea with milk and just a little sugar.

Quote:
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?

I like the night. I've always lived in cities and it's nice and peaceful.

Quote:
Enjoy your week!

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:
Congratulations Jack. Enjoy the week.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Congratulations from you're videogamegeek counterpart as VGG GotW I want to salute you.

Thank you Jan!

Quote:
I have some usual questions, number three is not for myself, but a general one I ask to each and every Gotw on all three domains.

My usual questions:
- Ever played any RPG's?

Actually I don't believe that I ever have.

Quote:
- Have you ever visited the RPG side of the site?

Yes - several times actually. It doesn't sound like much but when you take into account that I've never played an RPG...

Quote:
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterpart?

I have done just that.

Quote:
Have fun this week and may you play many games.

Thank you! And the same to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jbrady wrote:
Congrats Jack on being Geek of the week.

Thank you Jon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davido wrote:
Why is Bohnanza your only 10 (Will play anytime, don't expect this to change)?

I love other games too, but this one is the only one of those which is playable on a regular basis. The rating is a combination of the quality of the game (to me) and a few other factors, such as how easy it is to get to the table.

Quote:
Of your unrated games, which do you most want to play/rate?

I really need to get Steam Over Holland to the table...

Quote:
As an avid trader, you move a lot of games. Which of your previously owned games do you most regret trading and/or hope to reacquire?

Actually, I have few regrets. I suppose that I wouldn't mind reacquiring the Aliens Expansion sometime, although I should probably find a way to get hold of the base game first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations! Have an awesome week as GOTW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
CONGRATULATIONS

Another GeekBuddy makes good! Enjoy your week in the spotlight Jack!!! thumbsup

Question:

What is your most & least favorite game mechanic and why?

meeple

Thanks Bob!

I've never been a fan of crayon rail games. I played Tracks to Telluride and that just ruined it for me. Truth be told, I have a weakness for good games with cool components, so that's another strike against the mechanic.

As mentioned in an earlier response, I like games with a trading mechanic because I enjoy the interaction at the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boisse wrote:

Congratulations! Have an awesome week as GOTW!

Thank you Chris!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazin wrote:
Congrats!

Thanks Josh!

Quote:
1) What's your favorite game theme?

I seem to have a penchant for horse racing games. This is surprising because I'm not a fan of the real thing.

Quote:
2) What's your favorite game mechanic?;\

Please forgive me if I don't repeat myself on this.

Quote:
3) What do you like least about your favorite game?

Age of Renaissance - the "Crusades" card is incredibly powerful if it comes up too early in the game. We play with a house rule that it cannot come up in the first round of the game.

Quote:
4) Do you play RPGs, or just boardgames?

I've played no RPGs to date.

Quote:
5) Will you go over to RPGGeek and VGGeek and ask those winners some questions?

I did ask the VGGeek winner a question.

I have congratulated the RPGGeek winner but haven't asked him any questions at this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie T
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big gratz Jack!

1. You host gaming at your home - does this mean you have a game room?

2. Why were there so few other children in the area you grew up in?

3. What sports were you involved in as a child that drew you away from gaming?

4. How old were you when you moved to the US? Do you still have an accent, or do others notice an accent?

and finally...
5. What is this 'kitty charisma' Cate speaks of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
Runcible Spoon wrote:
Congrats Jack!

Thank you!

Quote:
Just a few questions.

1. Are their any memorable (either good or bad or something interesting in between) titles that your German friend used to bring back each year? Do any of those same titles make it to the table anymore?

He used to bring the classics (or at least what are considered classics these days). Settlers, Carcassonne, El Grande etc. I don't remember too many dogs, although I wasn't too fond of Junta. Getting the classics to the table is hard. Between myself and a friend in our regular gaming group we have a huge number of games and expansions, with new ones coming in frequently. The new ones usually take precedence but I do try to pull out the classics every now and then.

Quote:
2. Upper-Midwest American Cuisine vs. British Cuisine, which is more likely to cause hardening of the arteries? Any other thoughts on food differences?

Oh, the former wins hands down. British cuisine is really somewhat underrated, mostly because very few people in British towns and cities seem to know how to cook these days (sad but true IMO), but when you get someone who does, you can really be surprised. I pride myself on my traditional (or at least somewhat traditional) Christmas dinners.

Quote:
3. In the time you have been in the U.S. do you have any favored travel locations for holidays and vacations?

In the U.S.? I actually really like Seattle. I'd like to see more of the Pacific Northwest.

Quote:
4. I have never been involved with a math trade. Usually I just use the search feature on BGG and find game trades that way. Are their advantages to a math trade that might make that a better option?

Absolutely. You don't have to find a direct match. It's often hard to find someone who is willing to trade what you want and is looking for what you're willing to give up in return. A math trade allows you to use intermediaries. Suppose that I have something you want, and am willing to trade it, but you don't have anything for trade that I want. Let's then suppose that I want something Matt has, he doesn't want my item, but he does want yours. We can then make a trade where he gets your item, you get mine and I get his. This is the basis of a math trade - it increases your chances of making a trade because you don't need a direct match with anyone.

Quote:
I hope you have a great week in the spotlight!

Thanks again!

Thanks for your very thorough responses and you do have good tastes in US travel, the Pacific Northwest is my personal favorite (lived there for a long time).

As for the classics in gaming I think your statement is too true for many of us, myself included. As for the math trade, I suspected that was the basic way it worked (your explanation about intermediaries, but never having been in one myself I wasn't sure so thanks for the heads up).

Thanks again and I hope you enjoy the rest of your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
Oh no - my standby GOTW has been snatched away as well.

Jack is a great choice for GOTW. I am one of many Geeks who were introduced to Math Trades by Jack and they have given me and many other Geeks numerous hours of pleasure over the last couple of years.

Yeah - so Jack sadly supports " Same Old Boring Arsenal ", but otherwise he deserves every plaudit for his work on BGG.

Congrats old chum.

Thanks Chris. I can't say that I've often heard us called "boring" any time in the past decade or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jack. May your Geek Week last the full seven days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jack!

Well deserved. Have a great week!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
Ahiksking wrote:

Yeah - so Jack sadly supports " Same Old Boring Arsenal ", but otherwise he deserves every plaudit for his work on BGG.

Congrats old chum.

Thanks Chris. I can't say that I've often heard us called "boring" any time in the past decade or so.

I know that it's an old moniker, but having sat next to a rabid anti-Arsenal man at work for many years, I guess I picked up the vibes. Add that to the fact that I followed soccer during the 1970s and 1980s with Arsenal at their worst, I still remember the Arsenal off-side trap etc. However, do agree that you have come on a mile in recent years and can be entertaining on occasions. As it's your special week, I'll forgo the insults and say " Come on you Gooners " for second spot next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
Watch and learn... - Dr. Who
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK Jack. I have a minute or two for some questions...

1) What are you favorite TV shows?

2) What are your favorite movies?

3) How did you get introduced to BGG?

4) You have a Lymphona/Lymphadema microbadge. Is there a story behind it?

5) Do you log your plays of expansions?

6) Do you go to any conventions like Origins, GenCon, or BGG Con? (I already know the answer to this one)

That's it for now, but I'm sure there will be some follow ups!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Jack!

My two questions:

1) Would you say that you are more like Lenny or Squiggy (either in personality or looks)?

2) Are you old enough (or saavy enough) to understand that first question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
If you have some sanity left...
badge
...come and join me in the tavern I buy you a mug of beer.
mbmbmb
Thanks for the congrulations and did you enjoy you're visit to videogamegeek?

You like Chablis to? Just last month we went on holiday to Provins, France and did a two hour drive to the burgundy just to pick up our favorite Chablis and White burgundy wine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Congrats Jack,

Thanks Wendell.

Quote:
Growing up 5 minutes from Highbury (sorry, "Emirates Stadium"),

I grew up 5 minutes from Highbury, not the Emirates. They build that later...

Quote:
you are clearly innocent of this crime, so I feel free to ask: what do you think of sports fans that follow successful teams that they have no connection to? devil

I'm sad to say that I'm a little lacking in respect for anyone who starts supporting a team just because they're successful (even if that team is Arsenal). A true fan is someone who is as passionate about their team in the hard times as the good ones and someone who picked a team based upon success alone isn't likely to meet that standard if their team has a really bad patch.

I really strongly respect someone in the U.S. who tells me they support some less-successful team, say (for instance) Fulham, because whatever the reasons for their choice it wasn't just to say they support a winner.

Quote:
Also, tell us more about your love for Age of Renaissance.

I kind of like civilization games where you have many different choices about how to improve your civilization. AoR is in that group. Why does it stand out to me? Well, it plays in 3-6 hours (shorter than some) while retaining the richness I like and scales really well from 3 to 6. I'm also a bit of a sucker for a pretty game and this certainly is that. I'm a big fan of Civilization/Advanced Civilization too, but it takes 8-10 hours to play - plus I prefer the fact that there's a little luck in the combat mechanism. I know some people take the opposite view but that's my preference.

Quote:
What was the biggest culture shock you experienced moving from England to the US?

Everything. It took me about two years to get over the worst of the culture shock. If I had to pick something I would say that it was hard getting used to living somewhere where you really had to have a car to get around. This country is (with a few exceptions) not very pedestrian friendly either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jeff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonocop wrote:
Congrats Jack. And here I thought I was the only one whonhad traded with you.

Caught in the act... uhhmmm... I never promised we were exclusive... blush

Quote:
How would you define your math trading persona? Are you a shuffle the deck chairs on the Titanic (ie, make deals for the sake of it), a shark (always looking for the best deals and never overpaying), or a pragmatist (you know what you want and will happily overpay with games you may never play again)?

I'm definitely the latter. Although I will do the former in a local math trade simply to try and get more trades for everyone else by trying to open up new and longer trade chains. In those events I will often deliberately make trades I'm ambivalent about just to make others happy (having no shipping cost helps).

Quote:
What was the trade you've been happiest with?

A few years ago I had a spare copy of Civilization (which was readily available on eBay for $50 at the time), and someone traded me an in-shrink spare copy of Advanced Civilization (which people were getting well over $200 for at that time) for it. I actually suggested that he'd be better off selling his AC for $200+ and buying Civ, but he didn't want to be bothered with eBay and said he was fine with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blessedfebruary wrote:
Congrats & best wishes!

Thanks Cindy. I'll respond to your GM later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.