Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Konig wrote:
Cate108 wrote:

If you check the Geek of the Week wiki entry, you will see that there are two traditional guidelines:
1. The nominee should not be known personally to the current GotW
2. The nominee should be from a different continent (or country)

I say this to the rules

Congrats Jack.. I won't bug you via GM until next week as you will be busy answering a lot of questions.

On a side note, Jack did a fantastic job shipping out all the games I won (4 ~30lb boxes) from the last Milwaukee auction.

Konig

Thanks. That was a lot of games. Good thing I work out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I really strongly respect someone in the U.S. who tells me they support some less-successful team, say (for instance) Fulham, because whatever the reasons for their choice it wasn't just to say they support a winner.

Thanks for your respect Jack, as I support Grimsby Town FC and Cincinnati Bengals respectively. And the Melbourne Demons in the AFL, who have finished near bottom three seasons in a row.

Q1 You mentioned in your bio you used to play Subbuteo table soccer. Do you still get a game onto the table at all? Any really memorable games - Arsenal defeating Man U in the last minute of regular time to win the FA Cup, for example?

Q2 Not sure if this has been asked, but what did you think of the AoR follow up Manifest Destiny?

Q3 I went in my first maths trade a few months back and came out with exactly zip. No trades. How many trades, on average, do you attempt with each game? I obviously didn't try for enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
If you have some sanity left...
badge
...come and join me in the tavern I buy you a mug of beer.
mbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Thanks for the congrulations and did you enjoy you're visit to videogamegeek?

I did - but I only own two PC games, and those don't run on my new laptop.

I'll be back to check out the GotW thread though.

Quote:
You like Chablis to? Just last month we went on holiday to Provins, France and did a two hour drive to the burgundy just to pick up our favorite Chablis and White burgundy wine.

Cool. Which are your favourites?

We had the luck when visiting Auxerre a couple off years ago there was a wine event on which you could taste different smaller vignoble and then we went shopping. There are two vignoble independant.

The Chablis is de GAEC des Vins Vieux, it's the basic Chablis but they also have a very good petit chablis.

The white burgundy is the Tonnerre and is an epineuil de Domaine Alain Mathias (http://www.domainealainmathias.com/) and they will get us tickets from this year on to go to Lille to a wine fair where we can get there wine (and that's only an hour drive away)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats.

If you could have a superpower, what would it be & why?
What do you drive/pedal/fly to work?
What do you like for breakfast?
What upcoming game are you most looking forward to?

Peace,
Daryl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
red_gamster wrote:
Quote:
I really strongly respect someone in the U.S. who tells me they support some less-successful team, say (for instance) Fulham, because whatever the reasons for their choice it wasn't just to say they support a winner.

Thanks for your respect Jack, as I support Grimsby Town FC and Cincinnati Bengals respectively. And the Melbourne Demons in the AFL, who have finished near bottom three seasons in a row.

Now there, Ladies and Gentlemen, is a true fan.

Quote:
Q1 You mentioned in your bio you used to play Subbuteo table soccer. Do you still get a game onto the table at all? Any really memorable games - Arsenal defeating Man U in the last minute of regular time to win the FA Cup, for example?

I haven't been able to get it to the table in many, many years. As for memorable games, I presume you're thinking of the real thing?

I have many, many memories but here are the ones which stand out in my mind:

My first game on TV: 1971 F.A. Cup Final win over Liverpool. I was just old enough to remember the end of that game.

My first game in person: 1972 vs. Huddersfield Town. My Grandmother's boyfriend (who wasn't an Arsenal fan) took me and we stood at the Clock End. Well, he stood and sat me on a railing.

The 1980 Cup Final: Our shock loss to West Ham, who were in Division 2 at the time. What made it worse is that Dad was a West Ham fan and rubbed it in for months. I totally deserved it having rubbed it in when we met in the league the year before and hammered them (no pun intended).

The 1981 Cup Final: As you mentioned above.

1982 - Arsenal vs Spartak Moscow: A chilly night. Awful green and blue jerseys and the only time I've ever known Arsenal fans to give a standing ovation to the visitors after the game. They had totally demolished us and the 5-2 loss flattered us.

May 1989 - Winning the title at Anfield: In my opinion there has never been a more unlikely, more dramatic and more storied ending to a league season in any sport, anywhere, ever. Sorry U.S. Ice Hockey fans, but I think that it even tops the "Miracle on Ice"...

May 2006 - The final game at Highbury: Thierry Henry scored a hat-trick and then kissed the grass field to say goodbye to the stadium that housed the team for 93 years. Yes, financially the new stadium made sense, but something special was lost that day. soblue

Quote:
Q2 Not sure if this has been asked, but what did you think of the AoR follow up Manifest Destiny?

You are the first to ask Adam. I have actually never played it. The other major game owner in our group has a copy though, so I'm sure that I will at some point.

Quote:
Q3 I went in my first maths trade a few months back and came out with exactly zip. No trades. How many trades, on average, do you attempt with each game?

I think you mean how long my want lists are. It really varies. Some things I will only trade if I get something I really want (and my collection is somewhat mature, so those things are relatively few) and others I don't care about and those will have long want lists where I will be more willing to get something else to try.

Quote:
I obviously didn't try for enough.

Certainly if you target only a few items, your chances of making a trade at all drop considerably, and going for more games will increase the likelihood that you'll make trades, but remember the Golden Rule of Math Trading: Never put anything on your want lists for an item if you aren't sure you'd be happy making that swap.

It's better to make no trades at all than to make a trade that you are unhappy about making afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
We had the luck when visiting Auxerre a couple off years ago there was a wine event on which you could taste different smaller vignoble and then we went shopping. There are two vignoble independant.

The Chablis is de GAEC des Vins Vieux, it's the basic Chablis but they also have a very good petit chablis.

The white burgundy is the Tonnerre and is an epineuil de Domaine Alain Mathias (http://www.domainealainmathias.com/) and they will get us tickets from this year on to go to Lille to a wine fair where we can get there wine (and that's only an hour drive away)

That sounds like a lot of fun. I'll have to keep my eye open for those wines (assuming they export outside of Europe). Of course, I've been to France many times, but most of those visits were to see my parents who, for about 10 years, lived in Normandy after their retirement. Sadly they had no interest in going to wine country...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Ziemba
United States
Grosse Pointe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Its great to see someone I traded with being the Geek of the Week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grats on GotW Jack! always great to trade with you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scruffdog wrote:
Congrats.

Thank you Daryl.

Quote:

Just one, eh?

Well, The Spleen's power of projectile farting seems to have a million uses, and Captain Hindsight's power of perfect hindsight is also tempting, but in the end it would be invulnerability. It would be cool to be able to just walk into a dangerous situation and help people without hesitation or fear.

Quote:
What do you drive/pedal/fly to work?

A Toyota Corolla. I like to have something that will outlast the payments by some distance, and get great mileage. I'd really like a Tesla but that's never going to happen...

Quote:
What do you like for breakfast?

I'm terrible. I don't have breakfast during the week. On a weekend it's usually tea and crumpets or brioche. I do prefer to make a traditional cooked English breakfast but I don't do it often because, well, keeping in shape is already hard enough.

Quote:
What upcoming game are you most looking forward to?

I was looking forward to Omega Centauri (which JKLM was supposed to publish for years) but now who knows if it'll be published at all.

So now I'm just hoping for a reprint of Moongha Invaders one of these years...

If we're talking about things which we know are being published, I'm looking forward to trying Elder Sign and Chicken Caesar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gregz wrote:
Congratulations! Its great to see someone I traded with being the Geek of the Week.

lorna wrote:
Grats on GotW Jack! always great to trade with you

Thank you both very much! It's always great to trade with you too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more questions:

How many trades have you made through BGG?

Approximately how much did shipping cost you in all that time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Some more questions:

How many trades have you made through BGG?

Probably about 440 or so. Not everyone has left feedback but thankfully all the feedback I've had has been positive to date.

Quote:
Approximately how much did shipping cost you in all that time?

Good question. In over six years of trading, at a rough guess I would say it adds up to between $2500 and $3000. That's a lot but with as many trades as I've had, it's really not that bad. It would be more but many of my trades have been local and I've saved a lot of money by using FedEx for much of that time instead of the USPS for domestic shipments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've come back from a BGG hiatus just to say a well-deserved congrats!

Thanks for taking over the Brewtown Guild. You've done a spectacular job as a promoter and ambassador for our guild, and I see this as an affirmation of that as well as your Math Trade Mod prowess.

I'm thankful that I call you a friend. I'm beaming with pride at this honor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
I've come back from a BGG hiatus just to say a well-deserved congrats!

Thank you Christian!

Quote:
Thanks for taking over the Brewtown Guild. You've done a spectacular job as a promoter and ambassador for our guild, and I see this as an affirmation of that as well as your Math Trade Mod prowess.

The truth is that all I try to do is help and "do the right thing". It's nothing particularly special, but it's still nice to be appreciated.

Quote:
I'm thankful that I call you a friend. I'm beaming with pride at this honor...

That's very kind. I'm glad to have you as a friend too. You're a good man.

Quote:

Yes, such a thing does exist in Milwaukee...

It's a little creepy-looking if you ask me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
Pinky: "Gee Brain what are we gonna do tonight ?" Brain: "The same thing we do everynight Pinky. Try to take over the world !"
mbmbmbmbmb
My questions:

1- How did you choose this name/nick "anglotiger" ?

2- What is your favorite cartoon ?

3- What causes tickling ? Why can't we tickle ourselves ? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day Jack,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions, so to start with here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak Hook questions for you:
Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player (optional, many non-wargamers wouldn't have an answer for this)
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple )

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships
Witches
Trains
Transport (may include trains)
Workers (paid or otherwise)
Trading
Building
Pink
Theme
Ships
Money
Purple
Government
Vampires
Infrastructure
Dice
Dinosaurs
Gemstones
Dragons
Beer
Wands

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanielCG wrote:
My questions:

1- How did you choose this name/nick "anglotiger" ?

Actually it was coined by a friend of mine whom I was helping to deal with terminal cancer. She thought it reflected me well and I've never even considered surrendering it since then. It's just too personal to give up, you know?

Quote:
2- What is your favorite cartoon ?

Truth be told, it's Darkwing Duck. Pinky & The Brain was a fairly close second though. By the way, great avatar Daniel.

Quote:
3- What causes tickling ?

Preferably someone we find really, really sexy. devil

Quote:
Why can't we tickle ourselves ? whistle

What would be the point when you can have someone else do it for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
Pinky: "Gee Brain what are we gonna do tonight ?" Brain: "The same thing we do everynight Pinky. Try to take over the world !"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer.

Quote:
Truth be told, it's Darkwing Duck. Pinky & The Brain was a fairly close second though. By the way, great avatar Daniel.

I see this cartoon all the time, and my son loves it too ... that's why I choose this avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
G'day Jack,

G'day Fraser.

Quote:
I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions, so to start with here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak Hook questions for you:
Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player (optional, many non-wargamers wouldn't have an answer for this)

Yeah, I don't play solo games.

Quote:
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players

I like Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries

And this is where it gets a little boring...

Quote:
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players

Age of Renaissance

Quote:
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players

Age of Renaissance

Quote:
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players

Age of Renaissance

Quote:
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players

Advanced Civilization

Quote:
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple )

Turfmaster Delux or Long Shot depending upon my mood.

Quote:
Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

I'm afraid that I don't have the time to explain the reasons for the selections so I'll have to leave that up to your imagination.

Quote:
Space ships

Merchant of Venus

Quote:
Witches

Magical Athlete

Quote:
Trains

Rail Baron

Quote:
Transport (may include trains)

Automobile

Quote:
Workers (paid or otherwise)

The Pillars of the Earth

Quote:
Trading

Bohnanza

Quote:
Building

Manhattan

Quote:
Pink

Tanto Cuore

Quote:
Theme

Android

Quote:
Ships

Dread Pirate - the original has the best ships in any game, and I love cool bits.

Quote:
Money

Monopoly yuk

Quote:
Purple

Babylon 5 Component Game System: Core Sets - "He who takes purple, is purple, and follows purple leader"

Quote:
Government

Founding Fathers

Quote:
Vampires

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Game

Quote:
Infrastructure

Planet Steam

Quote:
Dice

Can't Stop

Quote:
Dinosaurs

Evo

Quote:
Gemstones

Edel, Stein & Reich

Quote:
Dragons

Defenders of the Realm

Quote:
Beer

Goldbräu

Quote:
Wands

Sator Arepo Tenet Opera Rotas

Quote:
Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

Moongha Invaders: Mad Scientists and Atomic Monsters Attack the Earth! - Martin Wallace does AT. This game is just a stitch.

Similarly Pecunia non olet. You need to have a sense of humour that appreciates toilet jokes and be prepared to run with it...

Quote:
Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?

Igel Ärgern thumbsup
Merkator yuk
Spectral Rails thumbsup
Hanabi thumbsup
A prototype game a friend has been working on for a while thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote:
Scruffdog wrote:

Just one, eh?

Well, The Spleen's power of projectile farting seems to have a million uses, and Captain Hindsight's power of perfect hindsight is also tempting, but in the end it would be invulnerability. It would be cool to be able to just walk into a dangerous situation and help people without hesitation or fear.

OK - I've taken some time and rethought this one. Being a shapeshifter would be rather interesting. I can imagine all sorts of good one could do with that. And perhaps have some fun along the way... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larz Welo
Indonesia
Kalimantan
flag msg tools
I love People!
badge
I love Wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Jack is awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALREADY Amazing! Lissa
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
I wrote:
Scruffdog wrote:

Just one, eh?

OK - I've taken some time and rethought this one. Being a shapeshifter would be rather interesting. I can imagine all sorts of good one could do with that. And perhaps have some fun along the way... devil

My superpower would be to have all the superpowers I want. kissninjasauronarrrhdevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oscal wrote:
My superpower would be to have all the superpowers I want. kissninjasauronarrrhdevil

Should we call you Balrog or Cartman?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
greatredwarrior wrote:
I think Jack is awesome!

Thank you Lars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Banks
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Jack -- long overdue, at that! For your dedicated work in the math trade part of this community alone, you are a worthy and deserving GotW.

I ask you no questions, as you have enough on your plate already.

Enjoy~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.