Subject: Have you ever tried Medici with hidden money? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cristian Cano
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The title says it all, I have recently printed the redesign of Medici that you can download in BGG, my wife has been at hospital for a little less than a week so I have spent lot of time there with nothing to do better than cutting some cards (apart from taking care of my wife, of course).

So, I have never played Medici yet, but I have been thinking in trying the game with Victory Points chips from Small World or something similar to add more tension to the game in orden to avoid knowing who is winning and who is loosing during the whole game.

I know games that are better with hidden money (or VP) but other aren't. Can anyone share with me his experience with Medici in particular?

Thank you very much.
Cristian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Medici plays very well with exposed victory points/money. The bidding mechanic in which you are literally bidding your victory points for cards means that the push and pull of extracting an extra florin or two from your opponents during the bidding is an important mechanic.

Evaluating and balancing the context of who is ahead with who can actually benefit from the displayed cards is important as to how much value a given bidder can extract from the ultimate winner of the cards.

It is also important to the decision of whether to turn 0, 1, or 2 additional cards on your turn based on who the displayed set will potentially help/hurt.

These are important correction mechanics as I think frequent runaway winners would ensue if money/VPs were hidden. This is a game where skill makes a substantive difference and not knowing who is ahead means the correction mechanics will not be able to balance the game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Cano
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your quick response... I think first of all I would try the original rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
While I support playtesting of any variant, I'll add that Medici is a game where the open money/VP thing works refreshingly well. Because the money is on a track, it is always obvious where players stand in relative position. And since total scores are not that high, the evaluations are simpler.

I'm comparing Medici to games like 18XX, where the players have stacks of variously denominated poker chips. This is way more work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that the start player in rounds 2 and 3 is based on position, so either you need to reveal then, which partially defeats any hiding, or you need to change that rule as well.

(I'm with those on unnecessary, but just considering what if.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything - Mark Twain
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a lot of Medici, though it's been a while. Money/score are always displayed on the open track and we've never considered doing it any other way. It would be a completely different game because decisions are based on your position on the totem. I don't think secrecy could improve any game with otherwise open information and would tend to lead to AP for players who know how to count and add.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be the dissenting voice here and advocate for hidden money. This is the only way we play now and the primary reason we use hidden money is to avoid analysis paralysis. When everyone knows all the scores, it leads (for us) to a lot more calculation, especially near the end of the end, when you can basically calculate how much each person will get. Yes, this benefits those with good memories (if they are keeping track of all people's money through three rounds, I say congrats). We also enjoy the surprise at the end. I'm not saying this is clearly a better way to play for everybody, but we prefer it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.