Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rose and I were at the coffee shop and had some time, luckily I brought Balloon Cup with me. We were both in a good mood and decided to play. It's small enough to fit in my bag and doesn't take up too much table space, whitch is good.

I'd only played this game once before with Brian on the day we bought it so I'd been looking forward to playing it again.

Rose isn't into games like I am but she plays them with me occasionally. There are some games that she really enjoys and I'm always trying to find more. I try to pick games that I think she would enjoy and I had a feeling that Balloon Cup would be great. I set up the game, another thing I like is the quick setup. I quickly explained the rules and we dove in.

It went well at first. It took her a few tricks to realize how the flatland and mountains worked exactly. At first she thought that on the multiple cube spaces you split the cubes for the win, not take everything on the tile. I told her that you could play on either side of the board, my side or her side, but she claimed I didn't when I started putting low cards on her side of the mountains and high cards on her lowlands. Of course, I apologized. She started doing the same.

The game went well and we both enjoyed it a lot. We both found it very interesting and were well engaged in the game. I got the first green trophy, Rose got the yellow trophy. It was then that trouble started.

The grey cubes split the cards so that we couldn't finish three of the tricks. We still had the two cube space but didn't have the grey cards to finish the other three. We checked the rules to make sure everything was okay and it did list the number of cards right, so the game was a draw.

Afterwards I've checked here and I do see that this is a known issue and have since added the rules addendum to our rulebook. It was still a fun game and a pleasant afternoon diversion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimberly Tolson
United States
Lewiston
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If only I'd been so lucky to experience this grey cube lock-up...I played Balloon Cup nearly 1/2 dozen times and lost each and every time before I gave it up for good. I have sworn off Balloon Cup, given it a nasty nickname, but will not sell it or give it away. The game was the first that my s.o. gave me when we first started dating and he is still with me after the turmoil of Balloon Cup. But still, 6 years later, I have nightmares about Balloon Cup...haunted by failure...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's fortunate then, maybe if this had happened to you then you'd still enjoy playing the game. Rose beats at games a good amount. Usually not on the first try but she has a good mind for strategy. There are some games she wins every time since she calculates the odds and I play from the heart.

I hope my session report didn't lead to any terrible flashbacks. Thank God I didn't include pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are aware of the rule that states that you can claim a cup by exchanging three cubes of the same color as a cup that has already been claimed, correct? You said the green and yellow cups had been claimed, so if one of you had three blue cubes and three green or yellow cubes, the blue cup could have been claimed (or six red cubes + three green or yellow cubes to claim the red cup). That may have helped bypass your problem of having grey cubes on three tiles. You should have been able to cycle through the cubes on the 2nd tile and eventually get the other grey cards back into the draw deck, yes?

I'm curious what the exact situation was that prevented the game from going any further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Barton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
raile wrote:
I'm curious what the exact situation was that prevented the game from going any further.

Have a look at my session report: Oops - We broke Balloon Cup. Basically you get so many cubes out that it is quite possible to have all the cards out, but not able to score any of them. This typically happens with grey (but could also be blue).

The fix is that for each colour, the maximum number of cubes that can be out is the number to win minus 1. I.e. grey=2, blue=3, ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mach
United States
Lindley
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jman11 wrote:
raile wrote:

Have a look at my session report: Oops - We broke Balloon Cup. Basically you get so many cubes out that it is quite possible to have all the cards out, but not able to score any of them. This typically happens with grey (but could also be blue).

The fix is that for each colour, the maximum number of cubes that can be out is the number to win minus 1. I.e. grey=2, blue=3, ...

Actually you can use the same number of cubes as required to win in that color. They just can not all be on the same tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
Locked her up today.

This was our 4th game ever. We were still getting the hang of it and ignored the anti-lock rule thinking that lock-up would never happen to us. Grey cube lockup with 3 greys on the 4 tile. Played nearly the whole game with just the 3 smaller tiles before it locked up, with no way for anyone to win. We stopped once we each had 2 trophies.

This must be quite common or probable if people are running into this on their first few plays.

Going to play with the fix rules from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.