Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This review is on the components and ruleset of Spinmaster's 50th Anniversary edition of Stratego.

COMPONENTS

This edition comes in a cardboard bookshelf edition. Some retailers advertise that this comes in a tin which is not the case. The cardboard bookshelf is very nice quality although you will be careful when sliding it in and out from your bookshelf as it will wear the bottom. The pieces are the stand-up plastic pieces that you may be familiar with from other sets, but the ranks are gold-foil stamped onto the pieces. No stickers here which is nice. The pieces have the classic ruleset ranks (Marshal is a 1, Scouts are ranked 9). The board is of nice quality but is double-folded so there may be some slight warping. The board displays the classic Napoleonic theme with typical artwork of grassy fields. The set-up shield also displays the classic Napoleonic theme as well.

RULES

The ruleset will adhere to the classic Stratego rules. The Marshal (rank 1) can capture any piece (except a Bomb of course). The Scouts (rank 9) can move and attack in the same turn in this version. They also can move any number of spaces. The rulebook itself is a nice sturdy booklet with a history page, the classic rules, tournament rules, and some common variations of Stratego. There is also a Cannon variation which is a nice bonus to this set. Cannons are rank 10 and can move and attack just like the other normal pieces. Although when they attack, cannons win only against the Flag or the Spy. However, they have a special attack: the player announces cannon fire against an adjacent piece (instantly revealing the cannon's identity) with the player guessing which opponent's piece it is. If the guess is correct, the cannon captures that piece! So, the cannon, with the correct guess, can capture the Marshal. If you decide to use the cannons, during set-up, you replace two Scouts with two Cannons.

OVERALL

Overall, collectors will be happy with this anniversary set, especially since we almost did not even receive one. This set is celebrating 50 years since the American release in 1961. The components are well done, the classic ruleset is a welcome relief, and the book-style box will fit nicely on your bookshelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a 50th anniversary edition in a tin, but it's a Toys R Us exclusive. All in all, Spin Master put out three different versions of Stratego. Here is a side by side comparison of the three.

- The 50th Anniversary Collector's Edition This is the bookshelf version explained above.
- Stratego (Sci-Fi version) This is edition reviewed here.
- The 50th Anniversary Tin This is a Toys R Us exclusive. This is a re-release of the original game with a Napoleonic theme. It doesn't come with all of the bells and whistles of the Collector's Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool...didn't know there were 3 editions put out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! I no longer own the game but it is one I would like to re-own. This appears to be a good time to do it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
- The 50th Anniversary Tin This is a Toys R Us exclusive. It is the same game as the mass market sci-fi version, but with the original Napoleonic theme.

My son just got this for his birthday, and it's not the same -- it's actually a throwback to the '60s version, with 40 pieces, a full-sized board, and lower pieces winning (i.e., the Marshal is "1"). Scouts can move & attack, though.

It's interesting to me that the bookshelf edition includes the cannons, while this one does not. Appeals to traditionalists, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. I edited my post above. Thanks for the correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter J
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a question about the Toys R Us tin edition. I found this in Canada but the packaging on the outside has a cardboard sleeve with bilingual text. Are the contents bilingual as well? I would rather have it as english only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.