Dave Sorensen
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SALVAGE OPERATIONS - 4 R. Gain 2 TGs at the end of each Space Battle in which you participate. If you won the battle, you may build one ship in the system of a unit type that you destroyed during combat. You must pay the ship’s resource cost.

I'm not certain of the answer, so that's why I'm asking. But if one manages to destroy a War Sun as the Mentak, does the Mentak player require the technology to salvage it?

On the one hand it can be viewed as they're just fixing the wreck. There have been plenty of science fiction works where people are working with alien technology they don't comprehend. A big example is pretty much any of the Stargate shows, the best fitting example would be with Stargate Atlantis with the Nomad race that strictly live on ships they find.

On the other hand, there's the wording that says the Mentak are building a ship in the system. And they can't build War Suns without the required technology normally so it comes down to, is this a special case?

I'd ask the same for the flagship as well, but don't think that works because 1) it can only be built in your home system 2) it has different abilities and is a different ship. Though a similar quandary with the same reasoning can apply here as well. The costs actually get close to reasonable with the new racial tech from Shards that allows Trade Goods to count as 2 for 1.

Answers/opinions are welcome, thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should have a look at the FAQ, for these and many more possible questions

FAQ wrote:
Q: Can “Salvage Operations,” the Mentak’s race-specific technology, be used to rebuild a destroyed War Sun if the Mentak do not have the War Sun technology?
A: No. You may only build a War Sun if you have the War Sun technology.

Q: Are there any circumstances when a player can build his flagship outside of his home system?
A: No.

It's available on the FFG support site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sorensen
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, guess I foolishly overlooked that when checking through the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
3D printing available for service at: http://www.3dhubs.com/los-angeles/hubs/martin-chino
mbmbmbmbmb
That brings up an interesting situation.
While the FAQ is out I think I would house rule that if the Mentak have their salvage operations racial tech the would be able to build their Flagship if they destroy one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.