Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Dominion: Alchemy» Forums » Rules

Subject: FAQ session for Philosopher's Stone rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Chen
msg tools
Not sure if it has been brought up before, but in the FAQ session it actually claimed that all the PSs are worth the same in the same turn. I think with Venture this is not necessarily the case any more.

Or even, in the case with Black Markets...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or Horn of Plenty.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget about Loan.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which FAQ is this? The Dominion FAQ on the BGG Wiki doesn't seem to indicate this.

Edit: Aha, got it -- you mean the card descriptions in the Alchemy Rulebook. Yep, it does say that they'll "obviously" be worth the same amount. That is true, as long as you play all of your Philosopher's Stones one after another, with no other treasures in between...

Thinking about that, I suppose that it would be best to play treasures in the order:

1. All treasures that gain you a card (Horn of Plenty)
2. All Philosopher's stones
3. Everything that draws or trashes a card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
Thinking about that, I suppose that it would be best to play treasures in the order:

1. All treasures that gain you a card (Horn of Plenty)
2. All Philosopher's stones
3. Everything that draws or trashes a card.


Not necessarily, though. Suppose it's endgame and you're rushing for Provinces. You have no discard pile and do a quick count of your deck - 14 cards, with a Gold, Horn of Plenty and Two Philosopher's stone in hand and 5 different cards in play already (it was a big draw turn I guess). What would be the best play order? Gold, Philosopher's stone for $2, Horn of Plenty for a Province, Philosopher's stone for $3, buy a Province. You can easily imagine similar scenarios where essentially you're trading $1 to spend for $1 more gain from your Horn.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
dcclark wrote:
Thinking about that, I suppose that it would be best to play treasures in the order:

1. All treasures that gain you a card (Horn of Plenty)
2. All Philosopher's stones
3. Everything that draws or trashes a card.


Not necessarily, though. Suppose it's endgame and you're rushing for Provinces. You have no discard pile and do a quick count of your deck - 14 cards, with a Gold, Horn of Plenty and Two Philosopher's stone in hand and 5 different cards in play already (it was a big draw turn I guess). What would be the best play order? Gold, Philosopher's stone for $2, Horn of Plenty for a Province, Philosopher's stone for $3, buy a Province. You can easily imagine similar scenarios where essentially you're trading $1 to spend for $1 more gain from your Horn.


Good point, the Horn really needs to be played later. I should have added a caveat: "if you're trying to maximize your philosopher's stone's value...".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan. These are 'permanent microbadges' to free up space on my microbadge row
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
It would've been a little spoilerish if it says

"...always worth the same, except a few cases involving the next expansion's card Venture, Loan, or Cornucopia's (which name hasn't even been revealed yet, but whatever, it's the next small expansion released a year from now, but forget this after reading the rulebook) Horn of Plenty and so on."

That would have been difficult to put in the Alchemy rulebook since Cornucopia wasn't called Cornucopia yet and Horn of Plenty wasn't called Horn of Plenty.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chen
msg tools
What I figured strange is that those cards, regardless of the names, exist at the time when the rule book is written. Is it just overlooked?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan. These are 'permanent microbadges' to free up space on my microbadge row
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timchen wrote:
What I figured strange is that those cards, regardless of the names, exist at the time when the rule book is written. Is it just overlooked?

There's no guarantee that any particular card we're working on right now will ever really exist. If the next expansion doesn't sell, RGG may stop publishing new ones. More importantly, a card may not survive playtesting, or it may be radically changed. Sometimes cards do not survive specifically because they cause rules headaches.

We try to take into account future possible cards, but never in the form of what might happen or what might change in the future. If an expansion is released that changes something, those changes should be reflected in the rulebook for that expansion.

As for issues with this particular card, that's beyond my pay grade ('cause, you know, playtesters do not get paid).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nakamura
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Is there any sales information available?
It would be interesting to know which large expansion sold more and how Alchemy sold in comparision to Cornucopia.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.