Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neal Rosen
United States
Wimauma
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As I understand the game, at the beginning players pay $9 Million to control the bonds of one country (or multiples of $9 Million if fewer players than 5 are playing).

When another player buys enough bonds to take over control of a country, you are required to pass to that player the flag of the newly controlled country. Now, originally, you paid $9,000,000 for that bond. What happens to that investment? From reading the rules, it appears that you simply lose the entire $9 Million investment at that point. Is that correct? I would think it might make more sense if you surrender the flag, but then have the country give the former controller, other bonds from that country totaling $9 Million. Losing control seems very costly!

If that is not done, then all the $9 Million was worth was the interest you might have earned on it by going to "Investor" on the Rondel a few times prior to the change in ownership.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nmrosen wrote:
Now, originally, you paid $9,000,000 for that bond. What happens to that investment?

It stays in the country's treasury.

nmrosen wrote:
If that is not done, then all the $9 Million was worth was the interest you might have earned on it by going to "Investor" on the Rondel a few times prior to the change in ownership.

You also get the success bonus paid out during Taxation.

And, even when you're no longer in control of the country, you'll still continue to earn interest on your investment when the controlling player goes to Investor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Archer
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you pay $9mm for the bond, you get the bond. You keep that bond even if you lose the flag. So, you still have your investment.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Heintzelman
United States
Setauket
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the simplified setup, if you are dealt a country's flag, you also get a $9M bond in that country, and a $4M bond in another. Those bonds are yours to keep for the rest of the game. You may lose control of the country, but you always keep the bonds you have, both the ones you started with and ones you might buy later.

I think the simplified setup is poor, though -- I start new players with the auction rules. It's hard to go too far wrong in the early going, as long as you don't go higher than the $12 in any country, and it's more interesting than the overly symmetric simplified setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
nmrosen wrote:
As I understand the game, at the beginning players pay $9 Million to control the bonds of one country (or multiples of $9 Million if fewer players than 5 are playing).

When another player buys enough bonds to take over control of a country, you are required to pass to that player the flag of the newly controlled country. Now, originally, you paid $9,000,000 for that bond. What happens to that investment? From reading the rules, it appears that you simply lose the entire $9 Million investment at that point. Is that correct?

You keep your #4 $9mil. bond card.

nmrosen wrote:

You continue to earn interest if the new player who controls the country goes to Investor.

The #4 $9mil. bond card is also worth points at the end of the game.

Thirdly, you may buy back control of the country, and your $9mil. #4 bond card is counted toward your total for that purpose. Example. You own #4 $9mil. bond card, someone else is dealt #2 $4mil. bond card. They buy #3 $6mil. bond card. Now their total investment is $10mil., more than you. They take the flag. Later you might buy #1 $2mil. bond card. You add that to the $9mil. you already invested. Now you have invested $11mil., and you have the most. You take back the flag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Babis Tsimoris
Greece
Salonica
flag msg tools
Be the Miracle!
badge
Knowledge is power!
mbmbmbmbmb
it's better to start the game with the bidding procedure. I think it is more exciting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.