Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After our first play (that I liked) I re-checked the rules and saw we played the game wrong in some details; I’m just not sure about some points.

1. The rules state 30 cards are randomly selected and removed from play. I just can’t see the point of this. The game went fast even with the full number of cards. Also it’s more luck-dependent/random than the board game. Also I don’t know 24 cards (the ones in the other players’ hands). So why should I remove some random cards in the beginning? It just doesn’t make sense.

2. Victory point pile – it just didn’t make much sense that you can’t examine your own deck. It’s a rather complex (for a) card game in itself so I don’t think an added memory aspect for your own cards is necessary… Is it really necessary for any reason?

3. Green leader: when I joined two kingdoms I had the green leader there but I didn’t have a temple card for exchange. When it was my turn again, I did the exchange. Was I wrong? The rules are not very specific on this but they might be interpreted in a way that you can exchange the treasure cards only right after the merge. It just doesn’t seem right and seems like an unnecessary rule. So if this is the rule I ask – why? And what happens if I join another kingdom – can I take two treasure cards out of the three?

4. placement of cards between two treasure cards . only if both has at least three cards under them. Is it intended as a „only kingdoms with at least 4 cards can merge” rule or should it be taken literally?

I mean can this merge happen? AB Kingdom has 8 cards, C has 5+.

Or they can merge only after coulmn B gets another card as well?

5. Can temple cards substituting treasure cards be destroyed? The rules don’t say they can’t. In this case a(n admittedly rare) situation can arise:

So is it possible that there are going to be gaps larger than one card between kingdoms?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And it seems I already know the answer for #1 although it's not official: 30 cards are taken out of the deck only for 2 players (which makes sense; this very rule is also used in many games of the Keltis family).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana More
United States
Garden Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am far from an expert, but I will try to answer your questions as best I can, based on the English rules I have, and looking over the rules forum here on the geek:

1) Only in the two player game are cards removed before the game begins. I assume this is to keep the game short. My wife and I always play this way, and our games clock in at about 30 minutes.

2) We play with a single pile of points cards, and do not look at our score pile. I like this, but you may not. The English rules have a variant where you play four separate piles for each color, visible to all.

3) I'm not sure if this point has ever been resolved. We've always played as you did, that if you have a green leader in a kingdom, you can, on your turn, exchange all but one of the treasure cards for a red whenever you have red cards in your hand.

But the English rules say, 'Green: this leader can swap red cards with treasure cards after kingdoms are connected.'

This implies, in my opinion, that if you do not have red cards in your hand when you join the kingdoms, you will have to wait until you join that kingdom again later, then if you have red cards, you can then make the exchange.

I believe this is different from the board game, but I'm not sure. In many ways, this game is very similar to the board game, so that is an argument in favor of doing it any time. But then again, in the board game, the treasure cubes are removed and put behind your screen, right? You don't have to replace them with red cubes...

I'd like an 'official' ruling on this point.

4) The English rules are expicit on this point. The rules say, regarding the placement of a card between two treasure cards, 'This is only allowed when there are at least 3 cards under each of the two adjacent treasure cards.'

In your example, 'B' is one card too small. I am glad you brought up this point, because we have alway played that as long adjacent kingdoms contained more than three cards, they could be joined. But that is not what it says in the rules.

5) No. When a temple card is exchanged for a treasure card, it becomes a treasure card*. It stays put, no matter what. When resolving external conflicts, '... all cards of the leader color from the former kingdom of the loser (exceptions: treasure cards* and cards with a leader on them) are removed from the kingdom and placed on the victory point stack of the winner.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.
themore5@earthlink wrote:
When a temple card is exchanged for a treasure card, it becomes a treasure card*.

Where is this written in the rules? I just can't find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Varholak
Slovakia
Pezinok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, thanks a lot for
a) placing the relevant questions
b) placing the relevant answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My God... It's at the list of the components. Speak about badly edited rules. The rulebook really feels like it was not tested with players (unlike the game which, I repeat, I liked).

(I really started to think the asterix at the treasure cards was a running joke as I just could not find the 'footnote' anywhere. It's because the 'footnote' was before the text - and it wasn't in the rules but in the components breakdown section...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
lacxox wrote:
Thank you.
themore5@earthlink wrote:
When a temple card is exchanged for a treasure card, it becomes a treasure card*.

Where is this written in the rules? I just can't find it.

Front page Contents section:

During the game, treasure cards may be replaced by temple cards. When "treasure cards*" appears in the rules with the asterisk, the reference means treasure cards or those replaced by temple cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, see my comment above... the layout and editing of the rulebook doesn't really help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.