Popular Tags: [View All]
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings fellow players.

I want to do something that a lot will consider suicidal - play my next game with Norr.
I would appreciate all the tips you can give.

Be specific - what strategy cards to look for at turn 1, fleet supply, technologies worth going for and order of them, fleet composition. (Destroyers only is not advise - especially if no fleet supply is mentioned

This is the options we are playing with (expecting 8 players game)

Strategy Cards:

1: Leadership
2: Diplomacy II
3: Assembly II
4: Production
5: Trade III
6b: Warfare II
7: Technology II
8: Bureaucracy

VARIANTS/OPTIONS:
- Race-specific technologies
- Custodians of Mecatol Rex (3 Fighters / 2 GF on Mecatol)
- Wormhole Nexus
- Trade Stations
- Artifacts
- Leaders
- Distant Suns
- Shock Troops
- Sabotage Runs
- Tactical Retreats
- Voice of the Council
- Planet Refresh Abilities
- Flagships
- Mechanized Units
- Mercenaries
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Q
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Burn the land and boil the sea...
badge
You can't take the sky from me...
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't give you really specific strategies, but I can give you some general hints to help:
1. Push your military advantage. Don't sit back, don't turtle. Be aggressive. After turn 4 or 5, most races will have technology to counter your initial military advantage, so by then you should already be locking horns with them.
2. It almost goes without saying, but try to ally with somebody next to you, and somebody far away (specifically for trade deals, but if you can get verbal peace treaties, that's better than nothing). Hammer your other neighbour merciliously: you NEED resources far more than other races because you are going to lose a lot of ships. If one of the races next to you is one of the "weaker" races, bully them for trade goods that you can then use for research or construction.
3. Build ships, not tech. The only time you should be thinking about getting new technologies is when you've already built up a considerable fleet and it's not about to be annihilated. Technology is a tertiary concern for you: first is building ships, second is getting resource-rich planets.
4. Lastly, again pretty common sense, but try to pick your targets by resource-rich FIRST, victory points SECOND, and harrassing opponents THIRD. You're not fighting for the sake of fighting. You need resources to build the ships you're going to lose (lots), you need victory points to win the game, and the fewer people you can piss off in the process, the better.

I love playing the N'orr (and against them, for that matter), but I've only done so a few times. I tend to do pretty well (2nd or 3rd), but I've never won with them yet... mostly because I tend to get carried away with my wars and capture planets that aren't strategically valuable.

Oh, and don't rush for Mecatol... it makes you a target and "the bad guy". Wait until somebody else takes it, and then ideally somebody ELSE takes it from them, and THEN swoop in and "liberate" it. Depending on victory points of your opponents, of course.

Hope that helps... good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignore the above... playing militaristic is a good way to die.

Here is how I have played them successfully and seen it done by others.

1st, You never really need a militaristic tech so do not buy red techs. Try and compensate for your disadvantages with tech buys. The issue is that Norr are slow to start, and their economy lags behind due to this. So look for things like yellow/blue and stasis caps.

You need to take advantage of production turn one, you have a single carrier and that's the real problem. If you can take prod then grab it and get your expansion rolling.If you cant take it negotiate it going off early or grab warfare and stall with the high alert placement hoping prod will go off and you will get extra movement.

Ti3 is not risk, space battles are something you do when you Need to (read score a point, or prepare yourself to score a point) Use this as a deterrent to being attacked not as a method of winning battles. That being said, the Norr fleet usually has no trouble defending itself even late in the game, the trick is you need an early economy boost so focus on that. Getting Rex or an artifact early is actually good, since you will hold it a little better than everyone else. Rex early means never having to take leadership. Artifacts will make you a bit of a target but being norr you may deter them from doing so until the end of the game.

While Norr is not my favorite race they can win games, you just need to know their weaknesses (speed and economy) and compensate. And as with any race, you need to be scoring an objective nearly every round after the 1st.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Q
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignore the guy who said to ignore me... well, except for one point:
He's right about the need to rush out your first few turns. I've never used Warfare II, but if it works like Warfare I (letting you move your units again), that's a critical choice. Or anything that lets you build and then move (the secondary strat of Imperial II, for example) in the same turn. Sadly, I don't know the strategies your using, so I can't say which will help... but at the least, you want to build another carrier and a couple GFs as fast as humanly (N'orrly?) possible and get them out there claiming worlds for the Hive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played as the Norr, so this is largely theoretical, but:

Even if you don't get Production, the secondary lets you build 3 units without activating the building system, so that can give you the second Carrier you'll need for early expansion in Round 1.

Warfare I would be super-useful, allowing you to colonize two systems with one Carrier in the first round, but you're not playing with it. Warfare II gives +1 movement and +1 to combat rolls for all units in the system where you place its High Alert token (primary ability). The token can move with the fleet or stay behind, so it would give your Carrier(s) a bit of extra distance out of the gate.

Enviro Compensator and Sarween Tools are extremely useful and lead directly to War Suns with the Norr's starting tech spread, so go for those first (or XRD Transporters for extra Carrier movement; Stasis Capsules would be useful too, for Cruiser colonization). If you can snag enough planets to pay for them, you could have War Suns out by the third round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel C.
United States
Deshler
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know your opponents, but I say Meta-game the house down.

Bully one neighbor, smash the other - make some allies you keep, make some you SMASH!

And above all, pull the 'you don't want to mess with me' card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fab Sanke
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think that Norr gets more benefit from cheaper ships than big ones, since they'll get a bigger bonus from your +1 racial.

Of course, a Flagship is something to be desired, but I would not chase Warsun Tech. I would go for DN if you can get Duranium Armour (plus Nanotech if possible).

I still not sure the bugs are a 'rush' race. The bigger their fleet gets, more power to your racial power. And don't forget you don't need to get into too many fights. Dice rolls are still random, and the psychological effect of might be enough in most cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Actually, Warfare II lets you move any 2 ships between FRIENDLY systems. Warfare I lets you move a combo of 2 destroyers/cruisers into EMPTY systems. There is no way to move a carrier into an empty system without having a CC on the system afterwards.

As to the two posts that are saying to ignore one another, it really depends on the group. If your group plays vengefully, you want to avoid combat and get a boost in the economy through other means, aka all of the refineries. Sarween Tools is a great way to do it. If you play with a group who fights a lot anyways and understands the N'orr's plight, you can take full advantage of their combat boost.

One major advantage starting with DSC is that you can move your PDS out on the front lines to screw over people's starting fleets. Best used with Warfare II against Jol-Nar who wait for Tech to go off before expanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomBoombs wrote:
Actually, Warfare II lets you move any 2 ships between FRIENDLY systems. Warfare I lets you move a combo of 2 destroyers/cruisers into EMPTY systems. There is no way to move a carrier into an empty system without having a CC on the system afterwards.

Ah, right you are. I mixed up aspects of the two secondaries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Porter
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the N'orr should get Enviro Compensator and Sarween Tools, though I tend to be leery of any strategy that consists of "Go for War Suns, and..." The N'orr can get the War Sun tech easily, but I'd suggest getting Stasis Capsules first. Their cruisers begin the game as powerful as dreadnoughts (minus sustain damage), so I'd suggest going for a fast fleet of cruisers quickly. Your carriers could then slowly reinforce behind them with extra ground forces and PDS units to shore up your defenses. Production is a good way to build up your carriers.
Also, I've always been a big fan of threatening over actually getting into open conflict. Just point out where you could strike, not where you actually are attacking. In my experience, that's often enough to get people to leave you alone for a couple of turns. Of course, you should be able to follow through on those threats... just in case, mind you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only been the N'orr a few times, so your mileage may vary.

Only go for warsuns IF YOU CAN AFFORD it. If it costs you too much in the way of other ships or VP then it's fun, but it's a waste.

If you end up with a juicy system between you and Rex, park those PDS on it, build a couple of docks, and no one will want to tangle with you.

Yes, a big fleet supply and destroyers are nice, and if you're next door to an over producer of fighters (I'm looking at you Hacan/Letnev/Saar) then grab ADT when convenient. You will laugh as their fighter screens get vapourized. Numerically speaking, the more dice you're rolling, the more you benefit from the +1 (+2 with the Flagship).

Sadly, most strategies really are specific to neighbours and galactic geography.

But normally I will get enviro/sarween and double dock the homesystem, and fill the sky. Unless objectives call for it, don't go tech crazy.

Get a dreadnaught for that Admiral, it's practically a miniwarsun for the Norr.

Mechanized units are better than 2 shocktroops for you, bring at least one to every important ground engagement.

Omega Switch or whatever the Racial Tech is great, especially for that Dreadnaught with Admiral. You may never use it but it's still a huge deterrent. No one wants to tangle with that. Again, you don't even need warsuns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Couch
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Insist on play simulated early turns (optional rule from SE). Most of the N'orrs early game problems (lack of units and only one carrier) can are be solved with this option.
Beyond this, roll lots of dice - the more you you roll the more the +1 means. cheap units are key - destroyers not dreadnoughts, GFs not Mechs.
Lastly you start with Deep Space Cannons. built the grid and sit behind it,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Calligan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I honestly don't understand why everyone thinks the Sardakk N'orr is a terrible race, i've seen them win 2/5 games they played and the other 3 everyone had to gang up to take them out.

I agree the one carrier is a kick in the Sardakk N'uts but if you get production or just use the secondary ability of someone elses production you can get out another carrier. Or just use diplomacy II and annex a planet.

And I've never even seen them played with simulated early turns, which would fix that problem entirely.

And am I doing the math wrong? They're a goddam powerhouse, cruisers as strong and faster than dreadnoughts, fighters can roll 6s if you tech cybernetics and advanced fighters, and pds can roll 4s with upgrades!

And if you're playing with warfare II, War Suns get automatic hits! devastating in any battle, and especially bombardment.

And goddam if you get your flagship in there for another +1 all matter of sh!t starts hitting the fan! when you combo flagships, high alert token and your racial bonus that's +3 to every roll! with thier upgrades that means fighters roll 3s! THREEEEES!

Playing with the SE objective cards help because they encourage more battles. There is no space unconquerable to the Sardakk N'orr. unless I'm doing my math wrong.

TL;DR simulated early turns, production, diplomacy II annex help you spread out quicker. warfare II and tech upgrades to combo your +1s for devastating power. focus on cruisers, fighters, war suns, pds and flagship
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Couch
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sdc_sketchez wrote:
I honestly don't understand why everyone thinks the Sardakk N'orr is a terrible race, i've seen them win 2/5 games they played and the other 3 everyone had to gang up to take them out.

I agree the one carrier is a kick in the Sardakk N'uts but if you get production or just use the secondary ability of someone elses production you can get out another carrier. Or just use diplomacy II and annex a planet.

And I've never even seen them played with simulated early turns, which would fix that problem entirely.

And am I doing the math wrong? They're a goddam powerhouse, cruisers as strong and faster than dreadnoughts, fighters can roll 6s if you tech cybernetics and advanced fighters, and pds can roll 4s with upgrades!

And if you're playing with warfare II, War Suns get automatic hits! devastating in any battle, and especially bombardment.

And goddam if you get your flagship in there for another +1 all matter of sh!t starts hitting the fan! when you combo flagships, high alert token and your racial bonus that's +3 to every roll! with thier upgrades that means fighters roll 3s! THREEEEES!

Playing with the SE objective cards help because they encourage more battles. There is no space unconquerable to the Sardakk N'orr. unless I'm doing my math wrong.

TL;DR simulated early turns, production, diplomacy II annex help you spread out quicker. warfare II and tech upgrades to combo your +1s for devastating power. focus on cruisers, fighters, war suns, pds and flagship

What you are missing is that they start with nothing.Everything you say is true.... but they have to get there and out of the gate they are stupidly week. An early war is the doom of the N'orr as the has had little to start with and are slow to pick up planets. Once they have the same tricks as everyone else the +1 means they are flat better..... but they have to live that long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biznits SnipSnap
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
A lot of good points made so far: Build big fleets of destroyers and cruisers. Essential you get another carrier turn 1 to keep up with expansion. Forego techs early (probably first 2 game rounds or so) in favor of ships as you won't be getting many techs over the course of game anyway. You keep up politically and economically by pushing your military advantage.
Not mentioned:
No one can hold a system as well as you can. Your forces aren't susceptible to AC stunts, 1 for 1 you beat anyone for FS and your natural PDS penchant improves that edge, and your fleets are fast so you can first strike or reinforce as well as almost anyone. What this means is you can pick a point-value target, take it early, and sit on it the whole game. Mecatol Rex is a prime target for this since it'll give you the CC's necessary to keep up Fleet Supply. Artifacts are also good targets. Pick a good spot and swarm over it. Early game is building the swarm and picking the target, midgame is nesting, and late game is holding it/deterrence.
On that note, War Suns used to be highly desirable late game. It only takes you 3 techs to get them (they come midgame and are advantageous in their own right) and their FS advantage has no substitute late game simply because they roll 3 dice. N'orr might have other options now in DN's with your flagship but this makes you slow, which is ok for defending the hive, but makes it much harder to make that end-game offensive push for the lynch-pin objectives. Especially against things like new Letnev tactics and Duranium Armor you need to win in round 1 so I don't see DN's with your racial tech as the way to go. What's the point of all this? Settle in on something worth points and prepare midgame to make it impossible to take from you late game. If you're collecting VP's along the way this will put you in a good position to pull off a win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.
Everyone is saying large fleet but nobody mentioning fleet supply (even after i specifically ask to keep those together.)
So the question is - what you guys think is desirable fleet supply for Norr.
If you want to be more specific you can go early/mid/late game even
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Q
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kind of pointless to give specific numbers. Fleet Supply should be as large as you need, but no larger.

It's fluid. Your fleets get wiped out? No point in having a big stack of CC's wasting away in Fleet Supply. Going to build a lot of ships in the upcoming turn? Better but some of those CC in Fleet Supply.

Bigger is better. Stick as many CCs in Fleet Supply as you can, without sacrificing tactical mobility or the ability to do stuff on a given turn. I'd say 6 is a reasonable minimum, but again, it depends on the situation and the timing: too early is better than too late, but only marginally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marx09 wrote:
It's kind of pointless to give specific numbers. Fleet Supply should be as large as you need, but no larger.

It's fluid. Your fleets get wiped out? No point in having a big stack of CC's wasting away in Fleet Supply. Going to build a lot of ships in the upcoming turn? Better but some of those CC in Fleet Supply.

Bigger is better. Stick as many CCs in Fleet Supply as you can, without sacrificing tactical mobility or the ability to do stuff on a given turn. I'd say 6 is a reasonable minimum, but again, it depends on the situation and the timing: too early is better than too late, but only marginally.

This actually is indeed helpful.
There was only 1 game where I ever have more than 5 in my fleet supply. In many games it was staying around 4.
I am interested in getting more, but CC are not always easy to get unless you are Nekro.
So trying to get to 6 in fleet supply will require some investment.
(Again in Theory good Leadership will give you a lot, but you got to have time to take it and need to have a lot of influence to make it work.)
Thank you for the advise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biznits SnipSnap
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
5 FS with N'orr is pretty sad on the last turn of the game though. Using destroyers and cruisers you'll need it up to 5 before any serious engagement and that means it'll need to be there on game round 2-4. If you get Mecatol Rex and hold it for even 2-3 rounds you can quickly inflate your FS and have it up to 9 by the end of the game. Related to my above comment, I've never seen anyone's FS get above 9-10 and if you've got 9FS w/ 2 War Suns in a system, no one will take it from you. This is more useful with Imperial II in play than it will be in your game but it can still be the ultimate way to get what you want. You've no racials that burn CC and you don't need to use them to keep activating build centers to restock carriers as often as someone like Sol does. You shouldn't be using tech secondary as much as others either. You should have a surprisingly simple time of stacking your FS. Don't be afraid of it. Your CC levels in Strategy should stick to what you need. Your CC levels in Command should match your appetite of what you want to do. Your CC levels in FS should match how stupidly many ships you can fit in one system - lots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Howsare
United States
Transfer
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think if you're ever going to go for War Suns, Norr are the race to do it with. You start as close to it or closer than everyone but Jolnar and Muaat, and the +1 to all rolls is great with the War Sun's multiple shots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Z
msg tools
What to do with Norrs? Difficult questions...the problem (and fun) is that every decision in this game is highly situational.

Correct, Norrs' main needs early game are mobility + resources. BUT, say the first PO's which come out concern influence and number of techs: you have little choice but playing in order to fulfill them, while still trying to overcome your racial handicaps. If you ignore 2 or 3 PO's early game, then you are simply out of the game. Period. Provided you are playing with experts, of course.

Thus, I can't really tell you "do this, take that", etc. You know Norrs' weak points...the correct answer to your question is: "do what is needed in order to TRY TO WIN the game (i.e. score 1 VP each turn) according to what is needed to keep Norrs' ALIVE".
Sometimes, sadly, you will find a game where fulfilling the 2 above is simply impossibile. Norrs can't win these kind of games. That's life, you just need to learn to realize it early.

Norrs are by far my favourite race, although I know they suck. I play with them every time I can. I can just tell you a couple of things about strategy cards on turn 1, which *tend* to be often valid:

- Trade: oddly, one of my favorite picks on turn 1! You will get some very good contracts with faraway players, which will help you really much later. Plus, now with Trade III you get a mercenary, which is a bet, but could possibly help reduce some of your racial handicaps. With Trade II you got 3 TGs, which is really a trasure for Norrs on turn 1.

- Technology: I prefer the stasis capsules (and later warsun) path to the blu path, if allowed by POs. Either way, you NEED to purchase some techs early game: this card gives you a free one, thus it is a very good choice for the poor Norrs during their first turns. 1st or 2nd choice on turn one.

- Production: it's good to have it, but not mandatory for Norrs. Just make sure you are able to use its secondary: 1 carrier + 2 GF is really all you need. Not your first choice for sure.

Other strategy cards are not particularly appealing during turn 1 and possibly 2...maybe Assembly, just to get the Speaker in case you are in a bad position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feral_80 wrote:

- Trade: oddly, one of my favorite picks on turn 1! You will get some very good contracts with faraway players, which will help you really much later. Plus, now with Trade III you get a mercenary, which is a bet, but could possibly help reduce some of your racial handicaps. With Trade II you got 3 TGs, which is really a treasure for Norrs on turn 1.

Interesting. I could see how trade 2 can be helpful, but didn't expect trade 3 to be that much useful. I can see that this way you have control of what contracts you get. Questions is do you allow everyone to trade or not - Nor seem to be weak enough in the beginning to the point that having one vengeful neighbor can cost you a game.

Feral_80 wrote:

- Technology: I prefer the stasis capsules (and later warsun) path to the blu path, if allowed by POs. Either way, you NEED to purchase some techs early game: this card gives you a free one, thus it is a very good choice for the poor Norrs during their first turns. 1st or 2nd choice on turn one.

So pretty much Enviro Compensator as the first tech.
I can see that. This will lead to cruiser heavy route but It is indeed nice. Only problem now is when you play with Shards it's nice to be able to transport mechanized units fast - but that can be done only with carriers and warsuns. In this sense it is good path since it leads to warsun!

Feral_80 wrote:

- Production: it's good to have it, but not mandatory for Norrs. Just make sure you are able to use its secondary: 1 carrier + 2 GF is really all you need. Not your first choice for sure.

This is good plan, but there is one flaw in it - it's a giant gamble! As I mentioned before we are playing with Distant suns - carrier with 2 GF is very dangerous thing when you trying to land with distant suns - one fighter ambush will pretty much cost you a game, But I can see how gambling that way can be justified.

Thank you very much for your tips!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Z
msg tools
We also always play with Distant suns (& Final frontier now) as well, we find it very funny. It is actually an added handicap for Norrs as it makes their expansion further hazardous: one bad counter and you are really almost out of the board. But again, it can be funny...

Actually, my mistake while talking about Production with 1 carrier + 2 GF. Norrs don't need GFs at all, as they start with 5. Production 2ndary is needed as it allows you to deploy 1 carrier + 2 destroyers/cruisers (1+1 usually), so that you actually have a 2nd decent invasion force and may try to colonize 2 systems. It is still very risky of course..as with all Norrs game starts.

The Trade III good news for Norr, by the way, is again about fleet: you get 1 extra body fighting on space and planets, so you may actually attempt colonization on turn 1 with something like this:

fleet 1: carrier + 3 GF, cruiser (adm), destroyer
fleet 2: carrier + 2 GF, cruiser, mercenary

Add generals if you are really corageous while using DS. You may surely afford to loose 1, as they suck anyway.

Or something similar. Not horribly powerful, but decently capable to fight most distant suns.

While being trademaster I tend to be as nice as possible as long as I receive 2 good contracts. No need to make enemies early game really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biznits SnipSnap
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I'm going to disagree pretty strongly with M Z. Let me first say that if you're going to play with N'orr intentionally you should do it in a game without Distant Suns as they disadvantage races like N'orr that start out with weak forces.
Having said that, even with Distant Suns, production is still your #1 priority for N'orr. MZ has advised tech and trade because of the economic advantage they give. Tech won't pay off until you get Sarween tools, and even then not for a few turns of using them. Seeing as you only have 3 must-have techs as N'orr (4 if you want Lightwave instead of War Suns) and you don't have the Fleet Supply to make much use of extra build capacity, don't go tech on turn 1. It's not bad but it only delays what you really need. Trade may get you some trade goods but no more than 2 more than you'll get without trade (using trade III, trade II will get 3). Production gets you 2 extra resources to build with, which will be on par, perhaps even better, than you'll get with trade III, and provides an invaluable benefit - safety. Worse case scenario for you = Yssaril takes production because you passed on it in favor of trade or tech. Turn 1 he passes. Turn 2 he uses a tactical action. Turn 3 pass. Turn 4 tactical action. Turn 5 pass. I guarantee you'll have passed by now as N'orr or have been forced to build in your HS with a tactical action. If you haven't and he's a jerk he can just tactical action move his cruiser to delay another 2 turns. And there are a lot of races that can stall better than you can. Point is, you'll miss out on the secondary and your expansion is very hamstrung. Don't you dare pass up on the opportunity to take Production in Turn 1. If you do it right you can even build a carrier, 2 GF, and two destroyers with it (2 cruisers if you're willing to drop your Political Cards), and it's much easier to do it right when you're holding the card and in control.
If you can't get Production, I advise Bureaucracy or Leadership. Using Leadership right away gets you 3 CC's, two of which go into Fleet Supply so that even if the other guys uses production in round 1 you can still cram the carrier and 2 destroyers into that system. This also adds the benefit of having the FS ready for the ships you'll be building next turn and the turn after that. Bureaucracy gives you a CC for Fleet Supply as well and also lets you manipulate objectives which is handy because you can mitigate the advantage others may have other you VP-wise because of your weak start.
Also, something somewhat comical but still very viable in non-Distant Suns games is as follows: First guy takes production, next leadership, next bureaucracy. You're left with tech, assembly, warfare II, or Dip II. You hate Dip II so don't care if it'll get you another planet. Maybe you even fear that if you leave War II someone with XRD will jump out for Mecatol early or jump on you while you're weak. In any case, take War II and in turn 1 you tactical action to get your cruiser and carrier out of your HS. Turn 2 you can use WarII if you still need to stall for Production. When production comes you build another carrier, A PDS (you'll have to drop a PC), and another destroyer if you wanna drop another PC (why not, they're just expiring resources for you). Use War II to put the carrier with 2 PDS out to a planet adjacent to Mecatol. This lets you keep Mecatol empty til you're strong enough to take it and keep it for a long while (because as posted above, you're buff and you tell other people what to do) or you can make people give you TG and promises in exchange for you not shooting at them as they move into Mecatol, giving you a fun little boost to your economy. This may not be the most effective strategy, and is more limited in Distant Suns games (though the risk of 2 PDS shots and Mec custodian forces often convinces people to wait 1 more turn than they usually would), but I promise it's fun to get out there and threaten multiple hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Z
msg tools
I wrote no rule, just general hints. It is obvious that in the specific case of Yssaril at the table (not so obvious in our games, luckily: nobody likes Yssaril as we tend to like fair-play) you need to take into account the high probability to miss secondaries, thus your priorities change.
In a *general* way, I still prefer to grab Trade and obtain 2 good and hopefully long term contracts instead of the Production card. But that too is situational as you said.

Also take into account that I usually play in 3 or 4 players, as games with more players don't seem so funny to me: after 6 hours sitting at a table, I tend to become intolerant to any kind of human activity.

Biznits, your PDS strategy is funny but it is also the perfect way to be pointed as the asshole at the table, and Norr rarely need to provoke this. Also, you are begging for one of those ACs which destroy 2 PDS on a planet, or for a local unrest. I never tend to put all my eggs in one basket early game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.