Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shards of the Throne» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Requesting Norr strategy tips. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Biznits SnipSnap
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Concerning the SC choices, Yssaril are the best stallers, but they're not the only stallers. N'orr are terrible at stalling, especially on turn 1, so it doesn't take much to outdo them. Sol starts with 2 carriers and a racial ability, giving him 3/4 actions before he throws down Production. Muaat can stall with strategy CC's too. N'orr, with only 1 carrier, really only has 1/2 actions before he needs production to come. Also, with Trade III, the contracts are not nearly so permanent and the permanence isn't as important as you can collect on agreements you just made. Some of the new objectives encourage you (or your allies) to break agreements as well. I'd still prioritize production over anything else.

I tend to like playing 3/4 player games more than 5/6 player games as well. The length is a major factor. Also, something about taking 2 strategy cards can also be really fun, balancing out first-turn gains and allowing for actions that complement each other.

Oh yeah, the PDS trick is definitely not the most effective strategy but it can be pretty fun. There aren't enough AC on the table on turn 1 to ruin it right away, but it will probably get hit with them eventually, you're right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with Norr on the weekend and tried a PDS strategy - this was partly motivated by my Prelim Objective, which was to get all 6 PDS on the board, but I thought that it worked well enough to try again.

Remember that Norr starts with Deep Space Cannon, so you might as well take advantage of that.

Yes, one carrier sucks. You need Warfare I or Production on the first turn. Take Diplomacy II (secondary) as a last resort. Expand and get your PDS out fast. If you can get all 6 PDS on planets surrounding your home system in the first 2-3 turns, then any attacking force will get at least four PDS shots against them, each hitting on 5+ (60% chance). You can then transport them to MR or an artifact planet or wherever. Get the tech which allows you to re-roll PDS misses, so each PDS has a 84% chance of a hit.

If your opponents stock up of fighters for PDS fodder then you respond with Destroyers and ADT and run pre-emptive strikes.

I don't know about which techs to get - all have pros and cons and you should decide based on your discounts and your Prelim Obj and Secret Obj - e.g. if you have to get DNs on the table for objectives then grab the relevant techs as well. Norr will rarely, if ever, pick the Technology SC so just play it by ear.

If you opponents are swarming with little ships then you should be able to win those battles provided you can keep up with the production. If your opponents are using big ships then you need to consider Exotrireme with Dreadnaughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seren of Moon
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
I just won a game with N'orr with the same set of SCs as originally posted. 4-player game that, after 8 hours or so, was discontinued after 4 game rounds. I had 8-9 points from preliminary objective, a bureaucracy play, and 2-3 artifacts.

We played Red Tape Bureaucracy for a 10 pt game and did not use the following options:
- Distant Suns
- Shock Troops
- Sabotage Runs

We did use this tweak on Assembly II:
- Assembly II yields an additional 2 ACs

In a 4-player game, everyone gets two SCs. For the first turn, I definitely made sure I got Production to spit out another carrier. Assembly II was useful for some key ACs + PCs (which can be traded in for TGs). In concert with Trade III coming up every turn and some skillful negotiation, I was bringing in an additional 3 resources each turn.

My Preliminary Objective required five DNs on the board, so I bought my racial tech (Exotrireme) and everyone was pretty much afraid of me. My Barony neighbor moved a bunch of shite and built a SD within 2 hexes of my home system. As soon as the Stage II PO for eliminating an opponent's SD came up, I finally had a reason to attack the horde of fighters and MUs. It was a 3-planet system, so I focused the Ground Invasion on the planet to score the 2 pts for the SD.

My focus was on building plastic instead of tech, as mentioned above. My strategy was to build a massive fleet of destroyers and boost them with tech, then to start spitting out cruisers and maybe go for gravity drive to have lots of maneuvering capability. With the Preliminary Objective to build all those DNs, I didn't really have a chance to build up the masses of fodder as I had planned. Somehow, I got the Tech II SC several times in a row, allowing me to purchase the pricy racial tech + some yellow to boost my economy.

The new Political Intrigue and Flagship for the N'orr was pretty nice. I didn't actually get a chance to build my Flagship, but I was definitely planning on it. The representatives were very handy in taking out the Barony spy when I got targeted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baron vendredi
Canada
flag msg tools
johnclark wrote:
Remember that Norr starts with Deep Space Cannon, so you might as well take advantage of that.

This is the crux of it - with the N'Orr, "more" is better. That +1 applies to all combat rolls, including PDS, pre-battle shots, ground assaults, bombardments, etc. etc.

That means the N'Orr are solid in small engagements, but get progressively better as you scale up the number of ships involved.

Of course, the main block on this is your fleet supply limit. Hence, it's important not to treat the N'Orr like the Mentak or Barony, which are aggressive early-game powers. The N'Orr take a lot longer to hit their stride, and should instead be treated as a mid-late game powerhouse.

Without a doubt, you want the backbone of your fleet to be Cruisers and Destroyers. With their starting Hylar and their race bonus, N'Orr cruisers hit on 5s - as good as another race's Dreadnaught. Destroyers hit on a respectable 7, equivalent to most Cruisers. Even without ADT, N'Orr destroyers will tear through enemy fighter screens.

N'Orr fighter swarms are also a good idea if you can afford the time to build them, but generally cruisers are more economical and mobile, though fighters still make great defensive anchors.

Focus on building up your fleet supply in the early game while expanding. All the typical command counter-saving SCs are handy - Diplomacy II, Warfare I, Logistics, Leadership, Production etc. You'll want to hit five or six eventually

XRD is a luxury for the N'Orr - instead, grab the much more easily researched Stasis Capsules. N'Orr ground troops gain the racial benefit anyway so a slight reduction in numbers generally will not hurt too much, and you'll be wanting to create large cruiser fleets to begin with.

In the late-game you'll likely need to research War Sun technology to keep up, but the N'Orr have a pretty easy path to get it. Aside from those two, any other tech is a luxury - but do look in particular for technologies that increase your chances to hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.