BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » Geek of the Week

Subject: Geek of the Week #305 - GeneSteeler rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Lana and Rich.

woodnoggin wrote:
Happy Geek Week, Randy. Have a good 'un.

My questions are these:

- Do you game at a regular club or FLGS and if so (since I'll be visiting Victoria later this year), does it accept guests?

- What song is in your head right now?

1. There is a FLGS, but I'm more of a stay-at-home gamer. I've had up to 11 people at my place before, but usually I try to keep it from 3-6. My house is near central Ballarat so it tends to be quite convenient for most. Guests? You'll have to submit a Police Check first... ninja

2. This is embarrassing, but I'm an honest bloke... Rob Zombie "Dragula" blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
southern_cross_116 wrote:
Not entirely true- when they come out of nowhere when driving they can cause heart-attacks... er, not that I know that first hand... nor was there a lot of shrieking and high pitched cussing ... and that was just me-- good thing I wasn't driving that day... er not that I know that.

Ok.... whistle

Quote:
Ok, back on topic... Congrats to a fellow expat North American

As a Canuck- ok, the obligatory Canadian question ... what is your team? NHL - not AFL ... in fact, that is a followup question.

AFL, does the oversaturation of coverage -has it gotten to you?

How are Winters in Ballarat- recognising that Ballarat in no way resembles Cairns?

Again, congrats to a fellow Aussie, and expat North American.

I'm a Canucks fan all the way. Although growing up I also liked the Penquins and Nordiques.

AFL - Yes. Can't go anywhere without asking "What team do you barrack for?". It's pretty bad here in Victoria. I think NRL is more common as you go north.

Winters? This one is pretty wet and cold. But the figures stay in the positives (that's above 32F for our American friends). So, if I was home they would call it extremely mild.

Thanks for the questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
woodnoggin wrote:

As long as your blush is 'tasteful':

Double Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks John, Adam, Wendell

wifwendell wrote:
Speaking of football... please provide your pithy comments on each of the following forms of football:

Canadian football - A good game. 3 Downs forces bigger plays and lots of passing.
American football - 3 yards, 3 yards, 3 yards, 3yards - first down. Repeat. Canadians aren't very patriotic, but we do think that we have better football and bacon
Association football (aka, soccer) - Great sport. They should toss out the ponces who dive though. MARADONNA!
Australian rules football - What has an IQ of 80? A very smart pig, or the collective IQ of the Collingwood Football Club! (Morka isn't going to like that one...)
Rugby league football - Not a bad sport. Been to one game and it was fun.
Rubgy union football - What's the difference? I get these Rugby versions confused.
Gaelic football - Is that where they throw hammers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:

Yes Please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:

Australian rules football - What has an IQ of 80? A very smart pig, or the collective IQ of the Collingwood Football Club! (Morka isn't going to like that one...)

LOL!!!

Edit: It's funny cause it's true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mick, Tom and EgorjLileli!

Chanfan wrote:
Hey, congrats!

What historical eras/topics would you like to play games on, but haven't?

What historical eras/topics have you enjoyed, but wish a better game had been made for?

What's your favorite euro that gave you a taste of interesting history?

Thanks Michael. Like to play but haven't...hmmm...I was going to say The Crusades, but I've played Onward, Christian Soldiers once (solo). Maybe something on the bombing of Darwin?! Not the first one, because that was a "sucker punch". But Darwin was hit another 58 times, So maybe Paul Koenig could design something where the player is trying to defend against the persistant Japanese air strikes.

I wish a better game was made on an Operational scale for the 1st & 2nd Punic wars. Something like OCS goes ancient could be very cool..... hmmm... perhaps I should....

Favourite Euro that gave me a taste of interesting history? Is 2 de Mayo a Euro or wargame? I'll go with God's Playground. Excellent game and a very unique theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sherron wrote:
I didn't think I would be sending congratulations your way so soon but what a nice surprise to. Will the Mrs. be GotW next? (Sorry I didn't see if this question was posted before, ignore if it was)

Thanks Steve. That would only be breaking the rules a little bit... ninja

gamer72 wrote:
Well, what do you know, we got another U-Boat target

*sigh* I'm running out of names!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:

Gaelic football - Is that where they throw hammers?

I think they use sawed off hockey sticks to smack a baseball through your choice of a fussball goal or gridiron goalposts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
Congrats Randy.

Being an Alaskan, I know that falling through the ice on a snow machine is a pretty common way to die. Glad it didn't happen to you. So I'm going to vote for A being the lie.

Questions to come soon.

Thank you. I never said I died... whistle Look forward to your questions. How's the weather up there? Must be high summer. Hit 70 yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalogGamer wrote:
GeneSteeler wrote:
woodnoggin wrote:

Double Congratulations!

Double Thank you.

PS - I don't Youtube at the office, so I hope your "clip" was 'tasteful'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shona Shorten
Australia
Ballarat
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Randy!!

Nick and I are privledged to get to game with the "Geek of the Week" regularly!! Can't wait to do it again this week

Shona
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
billyboy wrote:

Yes Please!

Soon I hope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Randy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Congrats Randy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy, I have a question that I never knew anybody from Australia so I never got to ask. I don't like snakes, I don't bother them and hopfuly they don't bother me. But, I don't know if I would like to live in Australia because some of the most deadly snakes in the world are there and spiders too. I just wondered if that fact bothered people who live there? I guess you all live with it. I must have picked up my dislike from my mother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sherron wrote:
Randy, I have a question that I never knew anybody from Australia so I never got to ask. I don't like snakes, I don't bother them and hopfuly they don't bother me. But, I don't know if I would like to live in Australia because some of the most deadly snakes in the world are there and spiders too. I just wondered if that fact bothered people who live there? I guess you all live with it. I must have picked up my dislike from my mother.

I'm sure Randy has his own perspective on this but as a native Aussie this is my answer: Australia is three-quarters the size of the USA in land mass (9.6 mil sq/km vs 7.6 mil sq/km), but has one-fourteenth the population (311 mil vs 22 mil). However as you said we have (many of) the deadliest spiders and snakes. What do these have to do with each other.... lets just say overcrowding isn't a problem and we'll never need a one child policy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
AnalogGamer wrote:
GeneSteeler wrote:
woodnoggin wrote:

Double Congratulations!

Double Thank you.
PS - I don't Youtube at the office, so I hope your "clip" was 'tasteful'

Tasteful?? I wouldn't've posted it = NSFW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Niemann
Germany
Hagen a.T.W.
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Randy! thumbsup
Have a great week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I Am
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations GeneSteeler!!

My question to an ex-Nordiques fan: do you think Quebec City will get a new hockey team? That whole saga has become our own little soap opera up here...

Now if they had the likes of Ron Hextal in the goals again, that would be fun...

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy cow how late am I to this party.

Congrats on GotW Randy,

It's been long over due for a fine contributor such as yourself. Enjoy the week in the spotlight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the congratz!

tiggers wrote:
sherron wrote:

I'm sure Randy has his own perspective on this but as a native Aussie this is my answer: Australia is three-quarters the size of the USA in land mass (9.6 mil sq/km vs 7.6 mil sq/km), but has one-fourteenth the population (311 mil vs 22 mil). However as you said we have (many of) the deadliest spiders and snakes. What do these have to do with each other.... lets just say overcrowding isn't a problem and we'll never need a one child policy.

"what he said"

I've only seen a couple snakes in my years here. I even lived on a "hobby farm" for a number of years. Even so, I've only encountered snakes a handful of times. Like you said Steve, ignore them and they'll ignore you. I had one shoot between my legs once when I was trimming a shrub. That made me jump back and miss a heartbeat, but that was the only close encounter I've had. I must have upset his sleep. On the Princeton side of Manning Pass, BC, I almost stepped on a rattler, so it can happen anywhere. I don't think it really bothers anyone, you just teach your kids not to pick them up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sxmpxr wrote:

My question to an ex-Nordiques fan: do you think Quebec City will get a new hockey team? That whole saga has become our own little soap opera up here...

Now if they had the likes of Ron Hextal in the goals again, that would be fun...

Enjoy your week!

:lol: Just thinking of Hextal put a huge smile on my face! Scoring goals and getting 100+ Penalty Minutes are not regular stats for a goaltender!

I was sad to see the team move in 1995. Peter the Great was one of my favourite players.

With regards to getting a team again, I don't now if Quebec City could support it. For your sake I hope so. Edmonton manages it, but they've always seemed to be happy getting and training rookies to keep their costs down. Plus Alberta's economy is pretty strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sxmpxr wrote:

Enjoy your week!

Quebec has my vote if anyone ever asks. 2 of my all-time favourite players were Peter Stastny and Michel Goulet (I got to see the Nords play the Hawks at the old Chicago Stadium about 1984 - and Goulet scored on Murray Bannerman ... from the red line of all places...).

Not to mention watching Habs-Nords games (as well as playoff series) were incredible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
Australia
Fitzroy North
Victoria
flag msg tools
General Dominique-Joseph René Vandamme, Count of Unseburg (5 November 1770, Cassel, Nord – 15 July 1830)
mbmbmbmbmb
petegs wrote:
Congrats, a great choice!
Hope you can find some time to play some of your unplayed games.

GeneSteeler wrote:
Thanks Peter, me too. How many have made their way from your collection

Only the good ones. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.