Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on GotW Randy! (Oh for that little marriage thing too).

What's your favorite hobby besides boardgaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
Congrats on GotW Randy! (Oh for that little marriage thing too).

What's your favorite hobby besides boardgaming?

Thanks Andrew. Besides wargaming I like jigsaw puzzles if I have the table space (and wall space!!!).

I also love spending time with
Melissa Dreger
Australia
Ballarat
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
. I love my wife! kiss

And I'm always ready to watch a good DVD...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Congratulations!

In addition to board games, I see we share another interest:

mb

same here, as I am married to both board games AND a redhead! Congrats on a well deserved acknowledgment! I always read your posts with great interest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Well deserved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larz Welo
Indonesia
Kalimantan
flag msg tools
I love People!
badge
I love Wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
It fills me with joy to see you honored in this way!

As a Canadian living in Australia that begs the question, what other countries have you been in? Airports don't count, but drives through do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:

Rubgy union football - What's the difference? I get these Rugby versions confused.

Yep you're a Victorian through and through. Although you've got that Canadian empathy.

Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me add my congrats, Randy!

My question: Have you got any recommendations of bands (music) from down-under?
I am a big fan of The Whitlams, but it's impossible to get any of their albums in the stores here except for Eternal Nightcap and Torch The Moon.
Who else should I be on the lookout for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me to add my congratulations as well, and to ask a few questions:

1) What's the coolest historic site you've visited?
2) What do you miss most about Canada?
3) Have you seen the Magellenic Clouds? (It's on my list of Things I Must Do).

Have a great rest-of-the-week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
greatredwarrior wrote:
It fills me with joy to see you honored in this way!

As a Canadian living in Australia that begs the question, what other countries have you been in? Airports don't count, but drives through do.

Thanks Lars!

I've been to USA...

I've also been to Mexico, India, Germany, England, Malaysia (overnight), France...

The train went through Belgium, does that count?

There is still a lot of the world for me to see!

Also had an overnight in a Japanese hotel. And was at the airport when an earthquake hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
Belated congratulations!
What character in Rome would you say is the closest representation of you personally?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Let me add my congrats, Randy!

My question: Have you got any recommendations of bands (music) from down-under?
I am a big fan of The Whitlams, but it's impossible to get any of their albums in the stores here except for Eternal Nightcap and Torch The Moon.
Who else should I be on the lookout for?

wow

John Farnham? *blink*

I've heard of another band, think they're called AC/DC

I'm really the wrong Aussie to ask!

aiabx wrote:
Allow me to add my congratulations as well, and to ask a few questions:

1) What's the coolest historic site you've visited?
2) What do you miss most about Canada?
3) Have you seen the Magellenic Clouds? (It's on my list of Things I Must Do).

Have a great rest-of-the-week!

1. Taj Majah. Absolutely awe inspiring. The pictures don't do justice to seeing it in real life. Tower of London was pretty cool too.
2. My Mom! Actually, what i pine for the most is probably the food! Dairy Queen, Bits 'n Bites, Pop Tarts... and lots of super restaurants in Vancouver!
3. Not that I'm aware of, I have seen the Northern Lights though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
Belated congratulations!
What character in Rome would you say is the closest representation of you personally?

Eeks! That's like saying which character in the Simpsons! They're all somewhat ... INSANE!

I'd probably say Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus. My avatar looks a bit like him, no? I'm too humble to say Julius Caesar, and the fact that I say I'm too humble proves it! The rest are just too infidelitious. Maybe a bit like Cicero, because he's a sneaky, manipulating coward.

I'd like to think I'm a bit like Caesar Augustus (Octavian). Always thinking and analysing. Alright, I'm not that good, so put me down for Agrippa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
So now that we're halfway through the week, is there any topic or question that hasn't been brought up yet that you wish had been brought up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fehrmeister wrote:
So now that we're halfway through the week, is there any topic or question that hasn't been brought up yet that you wish had been brought up?

Probably the common question: Which submission on the Geek are you most proud of? Because that gives the GotW a chance to plug their work

So, I might as well answer my own question, I'd say..

Aliens:The Silent Movie -or- In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream! (or anything else for that matter). That session report was a lot of work which I did to celebrate my 100th Session Report. When I watch it I can actually see the whole gameplay as it unravels before my eyes.

The other "unknown" submission for me is Same Game? Why the discrepancy? which was one of my first submissions. It's slightly dated now, but the irony is still there. I can imagine this list would still make some people "upset" ninja

Thanks for asking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally, a geek of the week whose contributions I am familiar with. Nice work genesteeler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Thayne
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations and best wishes!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you bolter and wildthayne. It has been a good memorable week.

Now I get to say...

I hoped that worked!

Poll
My two truths and a lie, in random order:
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I went to University, full-time, for 10 years, never failed a course, but the only degree I have is a B.Sc.
35.0% 28
I lived in the Yukon (google it) when I was a kid and almost died when I fell through the ice while riding on the back (I was the passenger) of a snowmobile.
22.5% 18
In my school years I gave all my Fisher Price people personalities and ran bank accounts for them. They used their “money” to enter “games” where they won prizes.
42.5% 34
Voters 80
This poll is now closed.   80 answers
Poll created by airjudden
Closes: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:00 am

1. is unfortunately true. I got my B.Sc. in microbiology and started working on my Masters. I was then encouraged to skip my masters and start working directly on my Ph.D. in Medical Genetics. I passed my oral comprehensive examinations but I left the country and never defended my thesis. So although I was officially Randall Dreger Ph.D(can), the only degree I have is my Bachelor's.

2. is true. Well, it would be if I was my brother! Well, even that's not true. We did live in the Yukon, and my brother broke through the ice while on the back of a snowmobile, but it was far from a near death experience. I think he might have gotten a foot wet.

Only 22.5% guessed this as the lie, so well done, you can join me in the Winner's Circle

3. Yup, my Fisher Price People had bank accounts, personalities, and even super hero secret identities! (I was am a weird kid.) I would often play USAC Auto Racing with each person "purchasing" a racecar or two to enter with cash prizes to the top finishers. I did this with many other games as well. Puts a new twist on the expresion multi-player solitaire doesn't it! I'll go check into the psycho ward now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just about time!

One of my favorite users, an Aussie, a wargamer!

Congrats, from the bottom of my heart. thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just noticed, I often don't even look, but when I did and saw it was you, I had to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words Piero and John!

Well my time is just about at an end so if there are any further questions you better ask them quickly! When I wake up in the morning I'll be introducing the new GOTW, so please get yourself ready for...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
As if I'd say it already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
Thank you bolter and wildthayne. It has been a good memorable week.

Now I get to say...

I hoped that worked!

Poll
My two truths and a lie, in random order:
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I went to University, full-time, for 10 years, never failed a course, but the only degree I have is a B.Sc.
35.0% 28
I lived in the Yukon (google it) when I was a kid and almost died when I fell through the ice while riding on the back (I was the passenger) of a snowmobile.
22.5% 18
In my school years I gave all my Fisher Price people personalities and ran bank accounts for them. They used their “money” to enter “games” where they won prizes.
42.5% 34
Voters 80
This poll is now closed.   80 answers
Poll created by airjudden
Closes: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:00 am

1. is unfortunately true. I got my B.Sc. in microbiology and started working on my Masters. I was then encouraged to skip my masters and start working directly on my Ph.D. in Medical Genetics. I passed my oral comprehensive examinations but I left the country and never defended my thesis. So although I was officially Randall Dreger Ph.D(can), the only degree I have is my Bachelor's.

2. is true. Well, it would be if I was my brother! Well, even that's not true. We did live in the Yukon, and my brother broke through the ice while on the back of a snowmobile, but it was far from a near death experience. I think he might have gotten a foot wet.

Only 22.5% guessed this as the lie, so well done, you can join me in the Winner's Circle

3. Yup, my Fisher Price People had bank accounts, personalities, and even super hero secret identities! (I was am a weird kid.) I would often play USAC Auto Racing with each person "purchasing" a racecar or two to enter with cash prizes to the top finishers. I did this with many other games as well. Puts a new twist on the expresion multi-player solitaire doesn't it! I'll go check into the psycho ward now...

Hey I got it right! but you did give us a very very hard choice. So well done with your questions.

You may want to recommend to your successor to tell us the answers on Thurs as the traffic and comments have vanished by Saturday. When I revealed mine I got the idea that no one saw it.

Of course that might just be me and you'll still have most of your friends clustering around to get the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Metro Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very belated congratulations Randy! (all my time online recently has involved job hunting). I really enjoy your Panzer Grenadier session reports, and they've convinced me that I will have to buy into the series someday (Panzer Grenadier: Cassino '44, Gateway to Rome looks great).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackolantern wrote:
Very belated congratulations Randy! (all my time online recently has involved job hunting). I really enjoy your Panzer Grenadier session reports, and they've convinced me that I will have to buy into the series someday (Panzer Grenadier: Cassino '44, Gateway to Rome looks great).

Thanks Jack, good luck on the jobhunt. PG is a good "simple" system that covers a lot of fronts and nations. I hope you enjoy it. And ask if you have any questions in the PG forum, and I'm certain Shad, myself or some other helpful soul will answer. Also, make sure you check out PG-HQ, it is a fantastic resource!

SamNzed, thanks for the suggestion, I will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Randy!

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4Having fun?
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Randy?
d10-6What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Congrats Randy!

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4Having fun?
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Randy?
d10-6What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?

Enjoy your week!

Thanks, it was a good week.

d10-1 The Germans. (black)
d10-2 Spring
d10-3 Piano, since I was a youngster. I also play the kazoo.
d10-4 Yes, thank you!
d10-5 Penelope.
d10-6 Nachoes and Coke
d10-7 Sunday
d10-8 8pm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.