$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » QLD (Brisbane)

Subject: Anyone interested in a Dominion tournament in Toowoomba? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warran Palmer
Australia
Toowoomba
Queensland
flag msg tools
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of hosting a Dominion tournament in Toowoomba.

At this stage figuring a $5 entry fee, used for ordering Pizza with balance applied to a voucher to spend at either Battlestation or Pinnacle Games.

Format will be somewhat dependant on the number of people attending, but ideally I want to have 3 rounds of "Qualifying", accruing points over all three games (Table seating randomised over all three rounds so as to mix up the people you are playing with). All tables playing the same mix of cards from the base game only. Top four people on points over three rounds will go to a play-off table for placing 1st - 4th.

Let me know if there is any interest out there and send me either a BGG mail or email me at "sales@pinnaclegames.com.au" to register your interest.

Cheers

(Edited for typos - of which there will be many)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Brien
Australia
Fitzgibbon (Brisbane)
QLD
flag msg tools
...but don't tell anyone!
badge
The Secret Bread Empire Über Alles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to play, but I'm afraid a two hour drive each way would be a bit much.

I do suggest, however, that you determine the top players by victories, with cumulative points as a tie-breaker. If someone is fortunate enough to sit at a table with less experienced players and thus grabs a large majority of the Provinces, those points would be a huge advantage, and they conceivably could not win the next couple of matches, but still have more points than someone who won all the matches against better players that more evenly distributed the points.

Just my $0.02. Obviously, it's your event and you should run it as you best see fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith done
Australia
brisbane
queensland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Warren,

I'll copy you post to the LXG site - there is great interest in Dominion at the club

Regards,

Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warran Palmer
Australia
Toowoomba
Queensland
flag msg tools
That would be great.

Any input as to format would be appreciated. I am aiming for some way of having all three rounds "useful" to each player. I don't want any one player out of the running after 1 round, and ideally get 3 rounds per player for their $5.

The other option I was considering was to have the first round determine 2 halves of a draw. Top half vs lower half scored after round one.

Run as many tables as necessary in each round to eliminate half of the players in each round until I get to 2 people from each half of the draw. (So eliminating the lowest 2 scores of each table each round, condensing players to always have 4 per table)

Then run a playoff table.

This then only gaurantees a player 2 games for their $5.

Obviously though, if I only get 8 or so people, that whole idea goes to pot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules McAleer
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Warran,

I'd be up for it - I don't know if you remember me, but you sold me my copy of Dominion. At the time I didn't know anything about it, but it has become one of my favourites Anyhow, I'm not far from Toowoomba (kingaroy). I'm sure I could get a couple of other players from here to come along too... Keep me posted

Cheers
Juliette

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warran Palmer
Australia
Toowoomba
Queensland
flag msg tools
Will do!

Final format looks like it will settle as follows:

1st Round : Top 2 players from each table goes to division 1, Bottom 2 players to Division 2.
2nd Round : Top 2 players from each table proceed, Bottom 2 players eliminated.
3rd Round : Same as 2nd round, with top 2 players from each division moving on to final table of 4 with 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place decided in a 1-match round.

This will work well on a 16-player competition with me only having to supply 4 base sets out of my own pocket.

Pizza idea is gone, mainly due to someone mentioning we don't really want pizza hands handling the cards, as they probably won't be sleeved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.