Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day Andrew,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions, so to start with here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak Hook questions for you:
Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player (optional, many non-wargamers wouldn't have an answer for this)
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple )

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships
Witches
Trains
Transport (may include trains)
Workers (paid or otherwise)
Trading
Building
Pink
Theme
Ships
Money
Purple
Government
Vampires
Infrastructure
Dice
Dinosaurs
Gemstones
Dragons
Beer
Wands

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Congrats Andrew. I googled "Cleitus the Black" and now I know about 1/1,000,000th as much as you do about Alexander the Great! Who said BGG wasn't educational?

lol, thanks.

Quote:
What drew you to study history in general, and Alexander the Great in particular?

Not sure beyond just finding history - particularly military history, fascinating. I think it's a truism that no matter how outlandish a story someone can think of, something stranger probably happened at some point in history.

Quote:
Do you speak/read any foreign languages, and if so did you learn them for your research?

No, I don't (though I studied French for four years in high school.) Happily I didn't need to learn Greek or Latin to study Alexander history because all the primary sources and the vast majority of important secondary sources have all been translated into English.

Quote:
What game that you haven't played do you most want to play next?

That list is long and ever growing. Right now I am pretty intrigued by Eclipse and think the ship construction aspect looks really cool. The designers are doing a great job publicizing the game with their design diaries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sxmpxr wrote:
Congratulations Andrew. An excellent choice for GoTW, I was surprised that you hadn't already received that honor. I really enjoy your reviews,and yes your Bitter Woods one should be required reading for all wargamers, so keep them coming.

Thanks!

Quote:
-What is your most memorable ASL scenario?

Has to be the first scenario in Pegasus Bridge (Ham and Bloody Jam or something like that.) Paul wrote a mini session report here.

Quote:
-Do you have any preferences in setting? (early war, east front, PTO, desert?)
I usually answer East Front to this question but the answer really is no, I like North Africa games, West Front games, PTO games.

Quote:
-IFT or IIFT?
IFT. A classic car deserves a classic engine. (Did that make sense to anyone but me?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomcat wrote:
A hale and hearty congratulations to you!

Thank you

Quote:
1) Did you ever Car Wars? I don't mean in real life, no matter how much Massachusetts drivers deserve it. whistle

I played once a long time ago (over 20 years I think). I seem to recall liking it but not much else.

Quote:
2) Not much presence on RPGgeek - why is that?
I don't really consider myself and RPGer (outside of computer or console games) even though I have dabbled in D&D from time to time. Our recent 9 month campaign (meeting once or twice a month) was the longest I've ever been part of.

Quote:
3) How many US states have you been to?
I don't think I can answer exactly as I have driven cross country a few times. Here's a list of states that I've more than driven through (either lived, vacationed, or went to a business meeting in):

Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi, Texas, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Arizona, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Hawaii. I'm probably missing a few more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harkonnen13 wrote:
Congratulations. The wargamers shall inherit the Geek.

Thanks Eric.

Quote:
My first job was as a milkman and we had to load the truck at the Hollandia dairy in San Marcos. Can you still tell by the smell that San Marcos used to be the dairy capitol of San Diego county?

No unfortunately its pretty well developed at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
Always great to see a fellow wargamer be the GOTW. Congrats Andrew! Just one question for you...

If you are in San Marcos and I am in Oceanside...Why haven't we gotten together and played a wargame???

Just curious! laugh

Pete -

Thanks, and great question! Let's try to circle up for a game in late August?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
Congratulations! The great choices just keep coming!
Whenever I see someone with interests in ASL, beer and astronomy, I wonder if someone has been cloning me while I wasn't looking.

Well, if they did than curse you for making me bald in my 30's!

Quote:
1) What's the coolest historical site you've visited?

Has to be Washington DC, but then, and I'm ashamed to admit this, but I've never visited any Civil War battlefields. When I was growing up back east it never really dawned on me. I moved to San Diego straight out of college, and that's when I love of Civil War history really took off. I fully intend to get my boys back for a DC and Civil War battlefield visit as part of our summer vacations to Maine one of these years.

Quote:
2) What's the best beer you've ever had?
My favorite beer is from a local craft micro-brewery called Stone Brewery. They seem to be very well regarded and are growing fast. My favorite of their beers is Stone Pale Ale. Its very much like Sam Adams Boston Lager, but a bit better. I also really like Guinness and will often get a black and tan with Guinness and Stone (half and half I shoud say or Jim will be all over me)

A funny comment about Stone - on their Arrogant Bastard Ale, the label reads:

"This is an aggressive beer. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory - maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it's made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beer will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this."

Quote:
3) What's your craziest ASL anecdote?
Got to be my disastrous glider landings in Pegasus Bridge that I referred to above, but honestly every ASL session tells an amazing narrative. I did a session report on Fighting Withdrawal where the wind played a crucial role, and in the comments below my ASL review, Paul mentioned some crazy ETO stories where his demo charge guy charged my infantry guns.

Quote:
3a) Are you up for a short scenario on VASL sometime when your week is up?
I actually have never played a VASL game, and Paul and I haven't played any ASL in a long while so I'm a bit rusty, but PM me and let's try!

Quote:
And thanks, btw, for your great Attempt to Describe why ASL is so Compelling. I direct all the newbs I recruit to it.

Awesome that is great to hear. I really hope it helps even one person to take the plunge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
Congrats Andrew, and enjoy your week!

Here's a question for you: Seeing that you like Eastern Front wargames, who, as a Romulan, would you be fighting on your "Eastern" Front -- the Federation or the Klingons?

Is that a trick question?

According to my Federation and Empire map, both the Klingons and Federation are to the "west" of Romulus - at least if up is north.

If I was the Federation, I'd say the Klingon's were my West Front and the Romulan's my East Front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Capt_S wrote:
I was just taking one last peek at BGG before shutting down my computer (after not being able to get on the internet for most of the week) and here I see this!

Another great choice. Congrats Andrew! Have a great week.
Thanks!

Quote:
I will follow up by reading the thread in full a little later. Hopefully this question has not been asked as of yet. If it has, feel free to yell at me and cuss me out...

Cuss you out for giving me an excuse to talk about Alexander? Hardly.

Quote:
I know that you have studied Alex the Great. What is it about him that interests you and do you feel that the ultimate wargame has been published that captures his career?

He is interesting for lots of reasons, but the primary reason for me is that Alexander is so admirable as a man of his time, but judged by today's standards, he really is a monster.

He embodied the Homeric heroic ideal. A fearless leader that led from the front, he literally joined in the melee at the head of his picked troops. He was a brilliant strategist and tactician, a rare combination, and he was never bested in battle (though Peter Green has an extremely interesting revisionist history of the Battle at the Granicus River that everyone who is interested in Alexander should read).

On the other hand, he was utterly ruthless. My master's thesis explored Alexander's intentional cultivation of an aura of invincibility, and one of his primary tools was sheer violence. After the siege of Tyre, for example, Alexander is reported in some (but not all) sources as having crucified thousands of Tyrian men along the beach. Curtius (IIRC, its been a little while) points out the extreme nature of this punishment, while Arian (another primary source) is silent. And yet even Arrian, who is viewed as the most "pro-Alexander" source, points out, almost off-handedly, that Tyre's woman and children were sold into slavery. That off-handed remark is indicative of the rather ordinary nature of that practice at the time, but imagine a leader of today doing that, and being heralded as "the great!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
Oh no, your house is on fire! Everyone is safe though and all photo albums, macrame pot holders and your collection of Care Bears are safe. You only have a few seconds and enough fingers to grab either Bitter Woods (fourth edition) or Iron Tide: Panzers in the Ardennes.

The thought goes through your mind that you'll be spending the next two-four weeks with only that one game. Your family has already rescued their favourites which they'll be playing without you at the in-laws. Which game do you grab for yourself to play solo while waiting for the insurance claim to come through?

Ouch, what a wonderfully awful question...but it would have to be...

Iron Tide: Panzers in the Ardennes

I think it has a few more surprises for me yet to uncover. Bitter Woods is a really excellent game, but IT has more unique mechanic's that keep it fresh longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lgoldberg wrote:
Congrats Cleitus!

What's the weirdest FtF gaming experience you've ever had?

That's a good question for which I have no good answer!

Only thing that comes to mind is the time when I was lowering the first iteration of my suspended gaming table, which used a winch, and the winch's hook missed catching the teeth. The table came crashing down about 12 inches from my head.

I pee'd myself a little. And changed the design of my table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalogGamer wrote:
Congratulations! + 2 questions:

1) any insight on the unsightly board for "Alexander the Great"??

2) strangely evocative?:

Thanks!

1) Not much, except that it makes it appear that Guagamela was fought in a "bowl" where the armies could rest their flanks on hills to either side, which I don't recall seeing in any descriptions. I haven't played the game, though, and just looked a fairly low res picture - I may have misread the map.

2) Strange yes. But I haven't taken shrooms for a long time. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
South Oz
flag msg tools
We fly as one...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done Andrew. You are a gentleman and a scholar. I've always appreciated your honest and intelligent reviews and comments, as well as the good nature you bring to BGG.

ABOUT TIME YOU WERE GOTW!

Questions - do you wear a chiton at home (as per your hero)... and if not why not?

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Alabbasi
United States
Springfield Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
I was suppose to write Arabic Words, but BGG don't sport that, so you have to live up with this..
badge
Before you head to the desert, make sure you have your own falcon....
mbmbmbmb
Congratulations man..

Enjoy your week thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! I'm very impressed by your miniature painting skills. Well done sir!

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Andrew! Enjoy the rest of your week in the sun (I mean that figuratively, of course - a literal translation of my wish would almost certainly end badly for you, as I believe the sun is very hot, and you would probably be vaporized well before setting foot on it. So, remember, don't actually go to the sun this week!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am on a Journey...
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
...to explore and discover games of all shapes and sizes regardless of colour, condition or creed
mbmbmbmbmb
Great pick Randy...

Congrats Andrew and have a great week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:

1) Not much, except that it makes it appear that Guagamela was fought in a "bowl" where the armies could rest their flanks on hills to either side, which I don't recall seeing in any descriptions. I haven't played the game, though, and just looked a fairly low res picture - I may have misread the map.

Your interpretation of the map (being a bowl flanked by rough/hills) is smack-on correct.
The game IMO is excellent ~ including the "General" mag.'s "Hydaspes" & "Kadesh"(!) variant scenarios. The board lends credence to "No Pain, No Gain."

Cleitus the Black wrote:
2) Strange yes. But I haven't taken shrooms for a long time. shake

Skip the 'shrooms*, and chillax with the "Acoustic Plantains'" mellower version.

*apparently, the map's designer did NOT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
G'day Andrew,

Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player (optional, many non-wargamers wouldn't have an answer for this) Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players too many to choose from, but I'll say Commands & Colors: Ancients
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players Maria
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players Runewars
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players (can't think of one).
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple ) Struggle of Empires

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships - Star Trek
Witches - "who are you that is so wise in the ways of science?"
Trains - Planes and automobiles
Transport (may include trains) - Freeways
Workers (paid or otherwise) - Federal
Trading - Stock Broker
Building - Homes
Pink - Panther
Theme - Ameritrash
Ships - Wooden Ships and Iron Men
Money - Want more
Purple - Jimi Hendrix
Government - Broken
Vampires - Bram Stoker
Infrastructure - Bridges
Dice - Cool
Dinosaurs - T Rex
Gemstones - Diamond
Dragons - D&D
Beer - Stone Pale Ale
Wands - Harry Potter

Quote:
Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

Yes, Claustrophobia. It's a very simple, great bits, great theme, plays fast, good tactical decisions. Playable with more than two.

Quote:
Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?

On vacation so with the boys we have played since we got here:
Vegas Showdown
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game
Pirate's Cove
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)
Stone Age

I'm also in the middle of soloing: Arnhem: The Farthest Bridge

Thanks for the questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, well deserved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Hunga, Fraser, Ahmed, Luds, Leo, Dan and Neil!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tomster wrote:
Well done Andrew. You are a gentleman and a scholar. I've always appreciated your honest and intelligent reviews and comments, as well as the good nature you bring to BGG.

ABOUT TIME YOU WERE GOTW!

Questions - do you wear a chiton at home (as per your hero)... and if not why not?

arrrh

Thanks Tomster!

And no, when lounging around the house I prefer a bit of chainmail

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Andrew! I'll let you know the next time I'm in Poway visiting the inlaws to see if we can line up a game. Have you had the chance to play Glory yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevin wrote:
Congrats Andrew! I'll let you know the next time I'm in Poway visiting the inlaws to see if we can line up a game. Have you had the chance to play Glory yet?

Sounds great Nevin!

Not yet, but I clipped it all, and integrated all the new counters from both Glory II and Glory III. I played about half of Glory III to get the rules down for Glory (since there were so many changes it made sense to learn the latest iteration before I tried to shoe-horn the new rules on top of the old ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Isaak
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Congratulations to you! I have always found your insights very interesting. GAME ON!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.