Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Shabatowski
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that I am increasingly having more time to play board games with my significant other. She has also been requesting that we play her favourite games more frequently as well.

I purchased a copy of 10 Days in Asia more than one year ago. As is the norm for me I never seem able to introduce new games to my regular gaming group. My wife lovingly calls them the "War Trains" group because our games always seem to gravitate to rail or war games. However, I introduced the game to her and we have both become incredibly addicted to it.

Components

The board is not used for anything other than geographical orientation. No pieces are put on the board and nothing is involved with it. That being said, you really need it in order to find out connecting countries. In addition, the board is nicely coloured with very easy to read fonts. The cards are very heavy duty card stock small cards which means that they will endure the large amount of shuffling that occurs. The game also comes equipped with 4 sets of 2 wooden card holders which are designated day one through ten. Overall the components are built for strong wear and the game is very visually appealing.

Gameplay
The object of the game is quite simple: all you need to do is create a ten day journey across Asia using foot travel from country to country, rail travel and sea travel. This ia a lot easier said than done. Each player takes turns picking a tile card and placing it on one of their day slots. Unfortunately one cannot moves those cards once placed unless taking a turn to replace it then reorienting it. There are three discard piles from which a player make take a tile to replace with one of their own. One may also draw blind. Air travel is regulated by the colour of plane corresponding to the same colour of country. Ocean travel is regulated by the correct ocean to connect the correct countries. Each player takes turns replacing tiles until the first person connects their journey. The game takes anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes with 2 players and anywhere from 20 minutes to one hour with 4 players (possibly less once used to the game). I also would like to add that it generates colourful complaining and a delightful aggravation factor. My wife hates when she discards a tile card that I immediately pick up.

Conclusion
The turns are quick, the choices simple but the strategy and luck combination is awesome. I absolutely love this game. I introduced it to my club and they are intrigued. While being a light game it has sufficient meat in it to make it a very welcome addition to any gamers collection. It fills the niche of a quick and light 4 player game that loses nothing to a 2 player situation. I understand that Asis is the only game to involve rails out of this series but intend to pick up a few more of the series based on both my wife's and my own strong liking for the game. I think that many might feel the game too light for their tastes but they need to play it two or more times to really have it grow on them.

Many posts and videos suggest this as a children's game but I disagree, instead suggesting it as both a family game as well as a game suitable for all ages.

Thanks for reading this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I was wondering about this series of games. From your description it reminds me of Thurn & Taxis which we really like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.