Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own this game, but have only played a fourth of it (one race) with five. It was fun, but it seemed to me that three more times of the exact same thing (even if two races are on different tracks) may get repetitive and boring. I very much like Knizia's Winner's Circle, so I'm not adverse to racing games. Since Ave Caesar is so well-liked, perhaps I didn't get the big picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played more than one 3-lap race at a time. That one race is enough chaotic fun for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Generally I'll play 1-2 races at a time. It's not some deep strategy game, but it is a fun filler with plenty of "take that" moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schunk
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is definitely a filler type of game, but to me, the simplicity is what makes it so much fun. So many racing games kind of dilute and bloat the whole idea of speed and racing in the first place and Ave Caesar does not. Of course, playing it more than a few times per month is probably stretching it a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor J
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try the Ausgebremst variants which start adding additional challenges and tactics to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Natus wrote:
I own this game, but have only played a fourth of it (one race) with five. It was fun, but it seemed to me that three more times of the exact same thing (even if two races are on different tracks) may get repetitive and boring. I very much like Knizia's Winner's Circle, so I'm not adverse to racing games. Since Ave Caesar is so well-liked, perhaps I didn't get the big picture.

This is a race game that is all about forcing the other players to waste their card by forcing them to the outside or making them use a good card to ride up onto your backside for a total of 1. In other words, its all about screwing everyone else.

If the people you are playing with don't like screw-you-take-that! kind of games, then they will hate this. Our group loves this game - it is short and we laugh the whole time. One race is not even close to enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingemar Ragnemalm
msg tools
designer
I bought this game recently hoping that it would be a fun family game. Oh, how wrong I was. We ran one race and absolutely nobody was interested in playing it again. IMHO I think that everybody played too well, so we just ended up in the same order as we started. With a big yawn, we put it aside and nobody has asked for it again nd it works its way quickly to the bottom of the games pile. My conclusion was that this must be one of the most boring games we have ever played. Not even the childen were amused.

Maybe it can be made slightly better with some expansion, but I can't see any way to save it. Rock-bottom. It doesn't even have enough pieces to reuse for game design purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingemar, are you sure you played correctly? If everyone played well then at some point somebody had to get stopped in a bottleneck and wasted cards. That's the key point in the game. It sounds like you just played cards and moved around the track and nobody got in each other's way, bu that means somebody didn't take advantage of their position to stop other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cadieux
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this for the first time this past weekend with four members of my family. We played two races, one each on both sides of the board. We had a great time with my oldest daughter winning the first race and me winning the second. It is a quick paced "filler" game as mentioned by others. We very much enjoyed it and laughed throughout when some of us got blocked or forced to the outside of a curve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.