Popular Tags: make [+] [View All]
Bruce Mansfield
United States
Bellingham
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
WIP thread for Raider 16 - Atlantis, designed for the Solitaire PnP Contest.

In Raider 16 - Atlantis, you are the commander of a German merchant raider in WWII. You hunt the South Atlantic and Indian Oceans for Allied shipping while avoiding the deadly attention of the Royal Navy. Cracking the British and Allied Merchant Ships (BAMS) code will help you identify possible targets as you prepare to stop, board, and sink your prey. Make the best use of an array of tactical options, including search planes, radio jamming and deception, S-boats, prize crews, and others.

This CDG takes about two hours to play and uses an adaptive AI: the better you're doing, the tighter the Royal Navy tightens its noose. Currently in final development, it will be made available primarily as a VASSAL module. Screenshot below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! That is a SWEET looking game. Hope you can post it in time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
is this game similar to d-day dice at all? just trying to decipher mechanics from your posted image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really cool! Can't wait to see the mechanics. I'm particularly interested in the adaptive AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Twenty-one pages of rules?!

I am both impressed and intimidated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 6
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds really good. Hope you meet the deadline. Looking forward to playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris reichl

Appleton
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Impressive! plus kudos for picking a unique aspect of WWII.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just watched/listened to the vassal demo, and I must say this game looks intriguing. This is going on the top of my to-build list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I already have the Vassal module downloaded, I'm just waiting for an opportunity to work my way through the rulebook so I can give the game a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just noticed at least one error in either the rules or player aid. In the turn events description, the icon with the plus on it is described in the rules as "Randomly place 2 contact markers", but in the player aid it's "place 1 contact marker". If I remember correctly, in the vassal demo Bruce played so that only 1 contact marker is placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Mansfield
United States
Bellingham
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Whoops - that was a late change to the rules: just 1 Contact Marker when drawn.

Please continue posting questions here - it was a real struggle trying to get what seemed like straight-forward ideas clearly into text.

-Bruce

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as I'm picking nits, here are some typos and other errors I've found so far (I've read about half of the rulebook). Please note that english is not my first language, so I may be way off with some of these corrections, so take them with a healthy dose of salt.

Page 8, DICE:
- 3DR instructs the player to roll two or three dice -> ROLL THREE DICE

Page 8, IV SEQUENCE OF PLAY:
- player may spend a number of Action Points not exceeded -> not EXCEEDING

Page 8, IV SEQUENCE OF PLAY:
- new cards and drawn -> new cards ARE drawn

Page 10, TACTICAL/SEARCH:
- sufficient Action Points remain to pay to each -> pay FOR each

Page 10, TACTICAL/SEARCH:
- abilities trigged -> abilities TRIGGERED

Page 10, TACTICAL/HUNT:
- hand that meet the condition -> that MEETS the condition

Page 11, SEARCH PROCEDURE, step 5:
- If the any of the -> If any of the

Page 12, step 8:
- possible modified -> POSSIBLY modified
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And a question about the tactical abilities during HUNT. Did I understand correctly that you can play one card from your hand for the basic hunt action AND you can play another card (which also needs to have the hunt icon) for it's tactical ability? And I guess you will discard both of these cards after the play?

EDIT: After listening to the vassal demonstration again, my question was answered. So basically yes, you can play another card from your hand during the hunt action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more question. About the different raiders. I was wondering why would one choose any other raider besides the Atlantis? As it seems to be the best one. Or are the different raiders more or less there for different difficulty levels of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And one more little detail in the rulebook. In the description of the hunt action (page 11) it says that if the result is a bullet (no contact), the hunt action ends. But in your vassal demo you discard the contact marker when the result is a bullet. So maybe you should add that little detail to the rulebook as currently you kind of think that the contact marker is left in the zone if it's a bullet and only removed if it's a 1 or 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more observations about your vassal demo. At the beginnig (around turn 4 or so), you draw the RN redeployment card and because
no Forces are on the map, you say that it's effectively ignored. But should the RN activation marker (in central africa) still be put
back into the cup? Or do you put them in the cup only when the forces actually redeploy?

And at around 28 minutes in you play the Nordvard (Change discuise) card for a search action and decide not to use the special ability of that card. I was just wondering why you chose not to use it? Does it have some repercussions that I don't understand? As I understood, it doesn't cost anything to activate that special ability and you would've gotten one extra victory point, or am I missing something?

Sorry for bombarding this thread with all these posts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Mansfield
United States
Bellingham
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for catching those errors - and keep posting if you see more. I'll post an updated and corrected rulebook in a week or so.

In response to your questions:

1) Yes, during a Hunt Action you may play additional Hunt cards from your hand, but must commit those cards before rolling the attack on the merchant.

2) At the moment, choosing a different raider is mostly for a more challenging game. Originally, I had limited which raiders could play which cards (as historically, for example, the Atlantis didn't have an S-Boat) but found it overall too cumbersome.

3) Yes, put the Contact Marker back in the cup after looking up its code number (whether bullet, 1, or 2 results).

4) That was my mistake missing the RN Suspicion Marker - you're right that it should have been replaced in the cup when the RN Activation card comes up. As for the Change Disguise card, since there are only four in the deck, and they're removed once played, I wanted to wait until there were more Suspicion Markers on the map (and thus gain more VPs).

Thanks again for your interest and help tightening up the rules!

Best,

Bruce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm about to give the game a shot. I've got a quick question. At the beginning of the turn, when I draw a card from the Draw Deck, do I draw that into my hand? Or do I simply reveal it and use all the relevant information on it before discarding it at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card that you draw at the start of every turn is simply flipped over on top of the discard pile. Do what the icon in the top left corner says and leave the card in the discard pile. That card doesn't go into your hand and it doesn't have any other function. Of course if you draw one of the "special" cards (RN redeployment and BAMS code change etc.) you have to first resolve that and then draw another card for the actual turn start event. Or that's at least the way I understood the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinimini wrote:
The card that you draw at the start of every turn is simply flipped over on top of the discard pile. Do what the icon in the top left corner says and leave the card in the discard pile. That card doesn't go into your hand and it doesn't have any other function. Of course if you draw one of the "special" cards (RN redeployment and BAMS code change etc.) you have to first resolve that and then draw another card for the actual turn start event. Or that's at least the way I understood the rules.

That's how I was interpreting it, but I wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked through the vassal log? It's very helpful and that's how it's played in their at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinimini wrote:
Have you looked through the vassal log? It's very helpful and that's how it's played in their at least.

I haven't. I should probably do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:

I haven't. I should probably do that.

I highly recommend it. It answers a lot of questions. I wish more (especially PnP) game designers would do these Vassal demos. That's why I like GMT Games, they make excellent Vassal demos of their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What is a vassal Demo? I am interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the first post on this thread there's an mp3 file & a vassal log which you can listen to and step through using vassal. It's very good, gives a good overview of the game.

Oh. And in case you didn't know what Vassal is, here's a link: http://www.vassalengine.org/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.