Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As some of you may know Days Of Wonder went "exclusive" with Alliance Games, meaning you can't get Days Of Wonder games through any other distributor if you are a store. Playroom Entertainment has just announced it will go EXCLUSIVE with ACD in the USA.

Playroom has a lot of games and is most well known for the Killer Bunnies franchise.

Playroom Goes Exclusive With ACD

To Streamline Distribution to the Hobby

Playroom Entertainment has announced an agreement with ACD Distribution that will allow ACD to handle exclusive distribution of Playroom brand game titles to the hobby game market. For Playroom the agreement with ACD strengthens the company’s commitment to retailers as its product lines and game titles continue to expand. This year Playroom has announced the release of more titles and expansion games than it ever has in company history.

Playroom’s Dan Rowen explained to ICv2: “This new agreement with ACD is really going to bolster our relationships with our retailers, particularly in the hobby game market. We are very excited that this will greatly improve our direct interaction and communication with all of our customers, which is a vital mission at Playroom.”

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
“This new agreement with ACD is really going to bolster our relationships with our retailers, particularly in the hobby game market. We are very excited that this will greatly improve our direct interaction and communication with all of our customers, which is a vital mission at Playroom.”

Thoughts?

Bunch of crap! "Bolster our relationships with our retailers . . ", yeah right! Most retailers go through one distributor. Since free shipping and other perks are based on volume purchases, having to split up purchasing through two different distributors undermines the retailers. The only people that this MIGHT benefit are Playroom and possibly ACD. Retailers, and as a result, customers will get screwed. I hope this kind of deal comes back to bite Playroom in the ass. These kinds of exclusive distribution deals just don't seem to help anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
alkaiser wrote:
Most retailers go through one distributor.
this is the opposite of my experience, i've never talked to a hobby shop retailer (about distribution) that only goes through one distributor. I agree with the rest of your statements, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
truekid wrote:
alkaiser wrote:
Most retailers go through one distributor.
this is the opposite of my experience, i've never talked to a hobby shop retailer (about distribution) that only goes through one distributor. I agree with the rest of your statements, though.

But we'd like to!

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me if you want to play wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope ACD is paying them enough to cover the lost retailers and store shelf presence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
I hope ACD is paying them enough to cover the lost retailers and store shelf presence.

its the retailers who get effed. Days and Playroom will still sell games. its the locals that vant compete that get screwed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
truekid wrote:
this is the opposite of my experience, i've never talked to a hobby shop retailer (about distribution) that only goes through one distributor.

Out here in Colorado the majority go through Alliance. My favorite FLGS uses Alliance exclusively for most of their hobby board and card game stuff. There are other game related stuff that they get through other distributors but these are minor compared to their Alliance order. Since their order volume determines their discount rate and whether they get free shipping they'd love to order everything they could through one source but they do have to break it up a bit.

Didn't FunAgain try this when they decided that being the publisher (Gryphon Games), retailer (FunAgain) and distributor (FRED) would be a good idea?? I thought they tried doing some kind of discount limitation thing and then just decided to have their stuff go through Alliance when retailers stopped carrying their stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.