Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Will Beg for VPs. No, I'm not proud.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Learning the game via yucata.de
(Too bad this game isn't reprinted hint hint )

There is never a 'benefit' to having a ship right? All you can do is cancel out the negative points they provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you "defend" a ship (by having a knight -- the black meeples in the same column), then you gain coins or VPs for the ship during large scoring.

That's definitely a benefit, even if you would lose the same amount if it were undefended. Getting those extra points or money from ships is an important part of the strategy in Vikings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No they ARE beneficial if you have a warrior placed below them. That's the black viking. Then you GAIN the points/money at each big scoring.

edit: scooped by dcClark. You, sir, are the faster D.C. in this case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BlinkyJOH wrote:
Hi,
Learning the game via yucata.de
(Too bad this game isn't reprinted hint hint )

There is never a 'benefit' to having a ship right? All you can do is cancel out the negative points they provide.

As mentioned, you can defend them and actually gain points/money at the end, not just prevent their loss.

However, when to take them is just as important. Some rounds you are going to get a ship because of how many are out and turn order (sometimes you might luck out and avoid it completely). So choosing the right ship is the bigger benefit. If you take it in "early" (as in you are not forced to take it because that is all that is left), you have more control over the damage (or lack of damage) it can do to you. You choose the path instead of letting your opponents dictate it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody O
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Will Beg for VPs. No, I'm not proud.
mbmbmbmbmb
oh, NOW i see it in the rules. not sure if it is in the vikings_ref file here on the geek.

so if you have a warrior down, you may as well put down the biggest baddest ship to go against him if a reasonable option presents itself.

pretty fun little game.
bet it is completely different with 2,3 or 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BlinkyJOH wrote:
pretty fun little game.

Yes it is!

Quote:
bet it is completely different with 2,3 or 4 players.

Yes as well. I haven't played it with 3 but it is definitely different from 2 to 4. You have twice as many opportunities for tiles and vikings in the 2 player game. Plus the competition is less fierce when only 2 of you are fighting over a viking type as opposed to 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ships also provide a stronger benefit if you're playing with the special tiles (which I would guess is how the game was originally designed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
No they ARE beneficial if you have a warrior placed below them. That's the black viking. Then you GAIN the points/money at each big scoring.

edit: scooped by dcClark. You, sir, are the faster D.C. in this case

All DCs are Ninjas... some are just ninja-ier than others. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Evans
Canada
Nobleton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Ships also provide a stronger benefit if you're playing with the special tiles (which I would guess is how the game was originally designed).

Untrue. There is no difference in the scoring of the Raider Ship tiles between the Basic Game and the Progress version. (Unless they've changed things on yucata.de) and there aren't any special tiles that affect them.

Perhaps what you're thinking of is the gray Boatmen Vikings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mevans444 wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

Untrue. There is no difference in the scoring of the Raider Ship tiles between the Basic Game and the Progress version. (Unless they've changed things on yucata.de) and there aren't any special tiles that affect them.

No difference in the scoring, but as you have to buy the most expensive tile to get a special tile the whole balance of when and if to take a ship changes as the most expensive tile is often a ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mevans444 wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

No, I'm referring to the special tiles themselves, which are most often accessed via ships and exist specifically to provide an early incentive to purchase ships. It's really hard to believe you overlooked that when offering your "correction."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another consideration when taking a ship is the viking you get with it - you might really NEED that boatman or warrior, so you choose to take the ship for a short-term loss in order to further your long-term plans.

I also find I sometimes am willing to take a ship in the final round when the math works out well - you might, for example, figure out that a loss of 3 - 5 coins (and any lost points for vikings below that ship) is offset by bonuses you might get (e.g. perhaps having the most leftover boatmen).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and it depends on how many ships/black vikings you have already. If you have an excess of black vikings taking a ship has only positive benifits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.