United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Film: Alien Saga
Mechanic: Deck/Pool Building, Dice Rolling

Aliens: The Hive

During an exploration of a recently discovered Xeno complex on a newly inhabited world, the search team has discovered and disturbed an Alien Colony. With their ship destroyed to avoid the Aliens getting off-world and with limit numbers and resources, the Humans must survive long enough for help to arrive - of course, the Aliens have other ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ok so so far it is the Ridley Scott Iron Game Challenge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
ok so so far it is the Ridley Scott Iron Game Challenge

Just goes to show how different people interpret things differently.

My first thoughts on "Classic Sci-Fi Movies" made me think Forbidden Planet, Day of the Triffids, Night of the Living Dead, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and Godzilla.

Maybe it just means I'm old
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
manyslayer wrote:
My first thoughts on "Classic Sci-Fi Movies" made me think Forbidden Planet, Day of the Triffids, Night of the Living Dead, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and Godzilla.

Maybe it just means I'm old

Me too, although my second thought was "Hmmm....Star Wars is now classic Sci-Fi."

However, if I enter this contest (unlikely but possible), it's likely to be a game with rainbows. I have also toyed with the idea of coming up with a game that uses ALL of the suggested ingredients. Would be fun, but probably too difficult.

Speaking of zombies, I could imagine a world where at the end of each rainbow you would find a pot of zombies instead of gold. Not being a zombie guy, I'm not going that route. Just pointing out that zombies can show up where you least expect them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
i should say my game may also involve the replicants having an 'off-world kick murder squad'

of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
THE GOAL

Create a game by combining at least two (2) of the following ingredients:

Themes:
--Classic sci fi movie(s)

I have a couple of questions of clarification on this theme. Does this mean the game needs to be about a specific Classic Sci-Fi movie, or is the theme one that captures the same spirit and tone of a classic sci-fi movie.

Also, what is defined as classic sci fi movies?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, do you have to pick 1 of the theme options and 1 of the mechanics? Or could you just combine two of the mechanics and any theme you want?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanXor wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
THE GOAL

Create a game by combining at least two (2) of the following ingredients:

Themes:
--Classic sci fi movie(s)

I have a couple of questions of clarification on this theme. Does this mean the game needs to be about a specific Classic Sci-Fi movie, or is the theme one that captures the same spirit and tone of a classic sci-fi movie.

As the Russians say, "Fsyo ravno." "It's all the same." You can make a game specifically to capture the essence of a particular sci fi classic, or you can try to capture the spirit of adventure and wonder that such movies conveyed. Or, heck, you can create a game where the players are trying to hunt down rare editions of Them! or Day of the Triffids.

Quote:
Also, what is defined as classic sci fi movies?

Thanks!

Oh, boy, that's a can of worms I'd rather not get into. If any niche group would call a particular movie a "classic," role with it. If the Browncoats claim that "Serenity" is a classic, who am I to say otherwise? "Inception" has already been hailed as a classic. I can't argue against that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
derrickec wrote:
So, do you have to pick 1 of the theme options and 1 of the mechanics? Or could you just combine two of the mechanics and any theme you want?

Judging by what Nate said earlier, it seems that you can forgo the themes if you choose two (or more) of the mechanics.

kurthl33t wrote:
[edit]Alternatively, you could come up with your own theme and just use two of the mechanics listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
derrickec wrote:

Either option is fine. You must pick at least two of the seven "ingredients." Two of the optional ingredients are themes, and five of them are mechanics. You can combine any of the seven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought was to use the 'rainbow' theme, but after several minutes of brainstorming the only concrete idea I had was 'Nyan Cat!' which would have a single 6 sided die with all 6 faces having a picture of Nyan Cat on them. Play would just consist of keeping track of how many consecutive rolls you made without any breaks.

So my second thought was to do the Scifi Classic theme, and here is what I came up with:

Scifi Classic Film: Dark Star http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069945/

Mechanics: Dice rolling, and (possibly) pen and paper

The game would consist of playing as the crew of the Dark Star on its 20 year mission to clear the way of unstable planets for future Colonists. Along the way you may have to deal with alien pets rampaging through the ship, or discussing philosophy with errant thermostellar bombs.

Eagles

EDIT: I have posted my WIP thread here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/695057/wip-iron-game-des...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. I am in. I don't have a name for my game yet.

It is a solitaire game. I will, of course be making a vassal module for it. (So much for trying to finish Farming Dice )

You are a water sprite and you are trying to build a rainbow by the game end (rainbow themed).

It has a deck building mechanic ala Dominion, but a person does not have to purchase cards and can just use the basic cards provided at the start of the game. There will only be one copy of each special card available for purchase.

In the basic deck, there is one sun card and one cloud card. When they are drawn, the sun or cloud token moves one space closer to the center. When the sun card is placed on the cloud card, the game is over and you lose if you haven't built your rainbow yet.

It will require 3 cubes of 7 different colors (preferably ones that match the rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet). You will need a forth cube of a specific color if you do not have the proper colored cube. The cubes represent droplets of water that refract a specific color of the rainbow.

The board consists of a 7x3 grid where the the colors of the rainbow are marked in each collumn. The cubes are placed on the board randomly, one per square. Your goal is to swap the cubes until the cubes match the proper color on the board.

Your fairy starts in the middle of the board (fourth space from the left, one space down). During your turn you draw 4 cards. Each of the basic cards will have a color of the rainbow with a matching cube of the same color on it. To play a card, you must move your fairy onto that color of cube. Once you have done so, you may swap that cube with any cube that is orthogonally placed. In other words, you can switch the cube with a cube that is above it, below it, left of it, or right of it.

You do not have to play every card that you draw. Alternatively, you may use the cards to purchase other specialty cards. These specialty will have powerful effects such as swap all three red cubes. Each of the specialty cards have a cost that is posted on the upper left hand corner.

AND IT LOOKS LIKE MY MANLY RAINBOW GAME IS GOING AGAINST RIDLY SCOTT!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: So, I completely scrapped my 'Earth Babes' idea (which I admit I'm still partial to) and went with another game that I had been gestating in my head for a while now.

BSG: Express
3-5 players
45-60 minutes

An express version of the popular Battlestar Galactica game. Save the human race or betray it in less than 60 minutes! Now with more dice rolling!

The two option I chose are 1) classic sci-fi and 2) dice rolling.

Here's a link to the WIP thread: [WIP] Iron Game Designers - BSG: Express

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tad Caldwell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Movie: Le voyage dans la lune (The Journey to the Moon Watch it here: http://www.archive.org/details/Levoyagedanslalune

Mechanics: Deck Building Area of Control

Two people race to build the gun, ship, and crew to be the first to the moon.

Is that classic enough?

Edit: considering instead battle with the moon people...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
great choice tad. looking forward to seeing what you and everyone else does.

i'll post some teaser futzing later tonight of tiles i've been fiddling with for the game the past hour or so.

for those new to how i work: since i am a graphic designer by day, i often work from the look/feel of the game into the rules and mechanics, building as i go inside out.

later: teaser futzing of the tiles players will navigate to. top row are resource asteroids to be mined for later refining (metals, gases, fissionables).
bottom row: (l) space station where resources are brought to be refined, defense upgrades bought here as well as replicant labor force (have to add in defined areas for these things)
(m) methane comet used for refueling
(r) game title tile

having fun with lots of little Blade Runner references and random bits of nonsense to simulate a tactical readout on an in-ship monitor

and i am sure the physicists among us might pick on my fissionables elements. if you have better suggestions i would love to hear them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this is my first contest, I'm curious as to how the voting occurs. Are there a handful of judges that will rate the games? Are they rated by popular vote (i.e., thumbs)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
usually we do popular vote but since this is iron chef, maybe it is different

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
derrickec wrote:
Since this is my first contest, I'm curious as to how the voting occurs. Are there a handful of judges that will rate the games? Are they rated by popular vote (i.e., thumbs)?

I honestly haven't decided for certain how to go about voting. It will probably end up being whatever is most convenient for me. I'm going to tentatively say that I will post a poll when it comes time to start voting, but I may end up changing my mind about that during the next couple weeks.

I'd actually like to hear some thoughts on how people prefer to cast their votes in these design contests. We just had the Solitaire PnP contest, wherein we Geekmailed our votes to the moderator. Is that preferable to some people? Or too cumbersome?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ok i have a thread created for my entry as it is being designed

WIP: Iron Game Designers - Off World Colonies

finished the first round design of all the tiles and some work on the player ship cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Adamson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aah, I was too slow off the mark! My game is called Stellar Prospector--also a space mining game. In my case, it's a rainbow theme--players hire scientists to examine the absorption (or emission) spectra of stars to work out which rare (read: made-up) elements they contain, and then attempt to mine those elements and deliver them according to a mission card.

I've nearly got the rules down and am about to start designing the components.

Once I've done that, I'll make a WIP thread...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, my WIP is up for Rainbow Endeavor.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7386210#7386210

Images can be found in that post, but I do want to entice you to take a look at it so here is one set of cards:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
snookums wrote:
Aah, I was too slow off the mark! My game is called Stellar Prospector--also a space mining game. In my case, it's a rainbow theme--players hire scientists to examine the absorption (or emission) spectra of stars to work out which rare (read: made-up) elements they contain, and then attempt to mine those elements and deliver them according to a mission card.

I've nearly got the rules down and am about to start designing the components.

Once I've done that, I'll make a WIP thread...

sounds like a great game. and quite different from mine.

i like the good mix of science in with the rainbow theme. can't wait to see what you come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I am impressed, both with the speed with which you designers have rolled up your sleeves and begun, and with the creativity I've seen thus far. I'm also glad that the rainbow theme has not been a complete dud, but instead inspired a great deal of creativity. Good work, one and all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Rebstock
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright I'm in too.
Haven't thought of a cool name yet but here are my objectives:

Themes:
--Classic sci fi movie: Star Wars
--Rainbow(s): Yes!

Mechanics:
--Battle Card Driven
--Area Control (maybe)
--Deck Building (hopefully)

Better get to work then....ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Haven't thought about doing this one until just now. I may have to jump on board if I can make the time. Good luck to all the participants!

I'm thinking dice rolling and area control. Picturing Dominant Species Express if I can stitch something together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.