Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sharon Adamson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've had another idea too, for a little party game called Yoda Rummy (classic sci fi (obviously) and deck building).

There is a deck of cards with words. Each player is dealt 7(?) cards, which they must keep in the order they were dealt. At the start of the game, each player must pick two cards to throw out in turn. Play goes around in circles, with each player either picking the top card from the deck or from the discard pile. They must replace any card in their hand with the one they picked up (or possibly just may put it anywhere in their hand and must throw out a card, possibly even including the one they just picked up).

The object of the game is to be the first person to construct a complete sentence in Yodish (for example, "Very silly this game is!").

I haven't thought too hard about this, and probably won't . But if I didn't get the idea out, I'd never be able to concentrate on finishing off my other game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And the obligitory vassal module for Rainbow Endeavor is ready, although it is alpha (in other words there are a few mistakes in it. See the WIP thread).

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0WBVnUE4NbHM2NiZmMzMjAtODE...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Dominant Species Express has been submitted. I expect a few changes which I will highlight in a separate thread, but the base game is there.

Try it out and let me know what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
WIP thread for my leprechaun wargame, Blarney Battle, is up:

[WIP] Iron Game Designers - Blarney Battle

I am working on the tiles and cards, then the map. The rules are largely written and playtesting should start soon.

Some unit chits in the works:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
Check out The Print and Play Games News Blog!
badge
Escape from Nooseneck High is Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
The moderator will contribute 25 Geekgold to the prize pot. Any and all tips to this thread as well as the submission thread will go towards the prize pot.

I'll see your 25 geekgold and raise you 25 more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
The moderator will contribute 25 Geekgold to the prize pot. Any and all tips to this thread as well as the submission thread will go towards the prize pot.

I'll see your 25 geekgold and raise you 25 more.

Thanks! The prize pot has been updated. Getting to be fairly hefty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D.
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I get enough spare time to put something together this time around (that's a big if), I might do something based off of Kin dza-dza (probably one of my favorite movies despite my not speaking any Russian), which would make a pretty fun theme and has lots of game-ready themes/situations.

Although there haven't been any movies that I know of based directly off of EE Doc Smith, I think he should get indirect credit. I thought doing something from the Skylark of Space or Spacehounds of IPC would be fun, but it seems like at least as far as combat situations go there is always one overwhelming force fighting another much weaker one so there is never much suspense or game-ready conflicts. I suppose there are a few parts that could work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've suddenly come up with a pretty intriguing idea yesterday, prototyped it right away and played all night long. Then it occurred to me that the game could be entered in this contests if it's mechanic fits into "Deck/Pool Building" condition.

It's a light fantasy wargame where players fight for dominance by converting map's hexes to their race's terrain - elves grow forests, humans build villages, mermen flood the land and so on. Each race corresponds to one of the elements and tries to influence the world with it, hence area control.

Now the questionable part.
The pool in question is not private, but common and consists of tokens of five different colors, corresponding to five elements. It kinda symbolizes nature's equilibrium and stuff.

Each turn the players randomly draw some tokens from the element pool. Not only are they used as a resource to recruit units and expand area of influence, but they serve as action points too, players must spend them to move their units and make attacks.
Naturally not every element can be used for everything - expensive things must be paid with specific elements (often associated with your race), and defensive/economic actions often require different elements than offensive ones.

Element pool is also used instead of dice in combat: elven forces, for example, are accustomed to Earth and Water element, but are vulnerable to Fire and Metal. Fate of attacked units is decided by element drawn from the pool.

The thing is whenever you spend element token, you take it from the pool and must add one of the two neighboring "allied" elements instead (for example, when spending Water to move my unit, I don't return it to the pool, placing either Ice or Plant element instead).
Initially there's equal number of each element in the pool, but by taking actions players change nature's balance, for better or worse. With each element spent and replaced you can influence further outcomes, be it combat, economy, or anything else, because everything requires elements of specific types.

kurthl33t,
now you tell me if it counts as Pool building. It's up to you to allow it or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Random_Phobosis wrote:

kurthl33t,
now you tell me if it counts as Pool building. It's up to you to allow it or not.

Продалжай, Андрей! It's certainly close enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks
I'll push to make it before the deadline.
Musing about the game and taking suggestions here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7435794
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was browsing the entry list and when you reach todd sanders game, the artwork is discouraging for those of us without any art skill

I know art is not everything, but wow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kabutor wrote:
I was browsing the entry list and when you reach todd sanders game, the artwork is discouraging for those of us without any art skill

I know art is not everything, but wow!

No, art isn't everything, but if winning is the goal, there are a lot of talented designers in the competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate is right in that art is not everything. i always judge my voting based on how a game plays. if i like a PnP game and it has all been done on index cards and xeroxed into a PDF, i'll probably go and re-design the artwork for fun.

i do understand people's comments in this and the last contest. i am a graphic designer by day so i do have training and software at my disposal others may not. i am not an illustrator (like nick/black canyon) though i wish i could be.

having said all this. this is probably my last contest for awhile anyways .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
Nate is right in that art is not everything. i always judge my voting based on how a game plays. if i like a PnP game and it has all been done on index cards and xeroxed into a PDF, i'll probably go and re-design the artwork for fun.

i do understand people's comments in this and the last contest. i am a graphic designer by day so i do have training and software at my disposal others may not. i am not an illustrator (like nick/black canyon) though i wish i could be.

Too many projects on the go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, busy time all of a sudden
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, Here is the contest version VASSAL module of Chromatix. The rules are in the module:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0WBVnUE4NbHMTkzMjZhZjUtY2N...

Note if your draw deck is empty, press the Reshuffle the Discard Button. It will also fill up any empty spaces in the play area.

This module works and I do not know of any mistakes. But if you see one, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:

I am just an admirer of someone that can do good game designs and at the same time excellent graphics, that kind of combination rocks, hopefully you don't get offended by my comentary, it wasn't that the objective
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
no, no offense taken at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
playtest session photos posted for Off World Colonies

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7442019#7442019
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Rebstock
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question about artwork. For those of us who decided to use the Classic Sc-Fi movies "ingredient", what's acceptable in terms of artwork. I've been poaching pictures of the internet to illustrate my components and i was wondering if i should offer an artwork-free version for the contest.

Considering the time frame (and my skills), there is no way i can produce original art for everything. I can remove all art but the flipside is that the flavour and reference to the movie pretty much disappear. We'd be down to pure mechanics, which probably renders the "ingredient" moot.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask before submitting my stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PierreNZ wrote:
Quick question about artwork. For those of us who decided to use the Classic Sc-Fi movies "ingredient", what's acceptable in terms of artwork. I've been poaching pictures of the internet to illustrate my components and i was wondering if i should offer an artwork-free version for the contest.

Considering the time frame (and my skills), there is no way i can produce original art for everything. I can remove all art but the flipside is that the flavour and reference to the movie pretty much disappear. We'd be down to pure mechanics, which probably renders the "ingredient" moot.

Use your best judgement. Low-ink versions are, I think, somewhat more likely to be printed out and played, since they're printer-friendly. On the other hand, attractive art is more likely to draw people into the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
PierreNZ wrote:

Use your best judgement. Low-ink versions are, I think, somewhat more likely to be printed out and played, since they're printer-friendly. On the other hand, attractive art is more likely to draw people into the game...

I'm planning on doing both. Hopefully it won't take too much extra time to put together a low rez version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
derrickec wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
PierreNZ wrote:

I think the question was more to using images from said movie (i.e. non-public domain pictures) as the theme of the game was the movie in question.
I'm planning on doing both. Hopefully it won't take too much extra time to put together a low rez version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Rebstock
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manyslayer wrote:

I think the question was more to using images from said movie (i.e. non-public domain pictures) as the theme of the game was the movie in question.

Indeed.
In any case, I'll submit two versions as well, one with art and one without so people can choose by themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone who has donated to the prize pot! It's at nearly 400 GeekGold right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.