Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Manns
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
The ONLY way you can place a landscape tile during a voyage is if it is placed adjacent to a tiles where you have the majority of ships.
For example: if my opponent has one ship on a tile and I have two ships on an adjacent tile, I would be able to place a new tile adjacent to both.
The reason I ask is because the rules say: "you must make payment with an adjacent ship", so in order for that to happen the tile must be placed adjacent to it.
Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tweakston
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two separate issues.

First, to place a new tile, a player must have more ships adjacent to the space where the tile will be place than his opponent. This rule requires a player have some sort of naval domination of a section of the "board" to expand and colonize. The new tile must be placed in that space.

The second issue concerns the "payment with an adjacent ship". I see the payment as an exchange of one of the adjacent ships into a soldier which is then placed on the new tile. This so that all land tiles are occupied at all times by at least one soldier of either player. When one player has one or more soldiers on ten tiles, he wins.

Hope these explanations help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrScottx wrote:
The ONLY way you can place a landscape tile during a voyage is if it is placed adjacent to a tiles where you have the majority of ships.
For example: if my opponent has one ship on a tile and I have two ships on an adjacent tile, I would be able to place a new tile adjacent to both.
The reason I ask is because the rules say: "you must make payment with an adjacent ship", so in order for that to happen the tile must be placed adjacent to it.
Is this correct?

Yes, exactly correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran McCann
United Kingdom
Belfast
Nothern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
em... not exactly correct in that it is not the ONLY way.

If you play the Poseidon card;
"Your voyage is successful when you have at least as many of your ships in adjacent cities"
then you many place a tile where you do NOT have majority but only equal ships as long as it is physically legal, i.e. it physically 'fits'.

This lead me to think about the whole placing tiles question.
If you 'voyage' MUST you place the tile if you can legally; you may not want to place it in certain locations?

Going to look at this whole God cards subject and do a separate post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Mallard
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played today against my daughter and also wondered about the ship ruling. Actually, in the rule book, on page 4, there is a diagram that shows a legal move that consists in placing a tile that "continues both the land and water segments from the adjacent map tiles" but without any ship on both adjacent tiles. Confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Mallard
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found the answer in the following FAQ:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Hellas_FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.