Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than keep posting on the Release date thread, I have started a new one.

Unable to find 18mm square dowel, I have purchased a strip of wood which is 6mm x 18mm x 8 foot long.

With a mitre saw, I'm going to cut this into 18mm and 36mm lengths and then stack up the pieces to make the buildings. Might even have the first picture this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to the pictures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the results of a weekends bit of work.

First of all, I spent a while thinking how to do this. 18mm was the measurement I needed, 20mm would have been too much. So I bought a strip of wood which was 18mm x 6mm x 8ft long.

The plan was to cut this into 18mm and 36mm lengths

and then stack them up to make buildings of a variety of heights.

Once these were done, I could put them together and it might look like this.

All of this was done with my dads saw:

However, there were some problems. The saw was cutting them a bit too rough, with a fair bit of damage being caused. Also, it was tricky to get them exact, which means a building 6 floors high just wasnt going to look straight on the edge as each piece was a slightly different size.

So... plan B

This is a shelf from a cabinet I no longer have, but I tend to hoard wood in my garage. Luckily, it was 18mm wide!

So, I cut a strip that was 18 wide:

Then, from this strip, I cut lengths.

Putting lengths together would get me my 4-lot buildings:

And then many hours of cutting later.....

Next step. Gluing and Sanding....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
you know, if you'd drop these images into your personally gallery, it'd be a lot easier to view them in sequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Didnt know about that feature. I'll try and do that now.

Edit: Ok, worked it out. All pics now uploaded to my gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
looks like you're making some pretty good progress. i can't wait to see the finished product. best of luck =-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
All pics now uploaded to my gallery.

Point is, you can make (or edit) a post such that the pictures show up in the post itself, no clicking required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All done. Thanks for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Decision Time again.....

How to colour the buildings. Simply painting them isnt going to work. Some of the edges are a bit rough, and also some are already painted (because it was an old shelf), so those sides will paint ok, but the wood side wont look right.

Option 1 is to fully paint all the buildings in a thick gloss. This will take ages and be very messy and require multiple coats. When done, then I can paint the buildings the right colour.

Option 2. Forget painting them. Print off something on my nice colour laser jet printer - a strip of the same height of the building, and then wrap it around the wood, gluing it on so it sticks completely. I'm leaning toward this idea and will experiment with a simple design, but if it works, I'm going to be looking for images of buildings to make it look like an actual real building. Of course, I still want it to have quite a bit of colour so that the type of building is fairly clear. Opinions welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Crotty
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Decision Time again.....

How to colour the buildings. Simply painting them isnt going to work. Some of the edges are a bit rough, and also some are already painted (because it was an old shelf), so those sides will paint ok, but the wood side wont look right.

Option 1 is to fully paint all the buildings in a thick gloss. This will take ages and be very messy and require multiple coats. When done, then I can paint the buildings the right colour.

Try rubbing wood glue on the end grain (rough) wood and perhaps sand with a fine grit after it dries if necessary. This might be all you need to do and it won't take as much time as the thick gloss option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
You could print images of building surfaces on sticky label sheets and just stick them on. Tint them the colors of the buildings, etc. Sounds like a fun project you have going! Keep the pictures coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats what I was thinking. I already have some sheets of A4 laser printer full sheet labels, so just need a nice building design. If anyone has one, please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE TIME.....

One decision has now been made. I am not going to paint the buildings. Instead, I am going to print out images I have found on various websites and stick them to the sides of the buildings. I have done this over the last couple of days and I am very happy with the results.

However, another decision now needs to be made...

a) I just print out the building sides in their original colour. This will make all the buildings look a 'realistic' colour and just have the building tops (i.e the pieces that come with the actual game) to indicate the zone of the building.

b) Print out the building sides with a colour overlay to match the colour of the building. This will make it easier to identify which zone the building is in from the side.

I've read the rules a couple of times now, but cant work out which will be best. I also am undecided about which 'looks' best. I stuck on the non-colour sides last night, looked at them and thought that my decision was made. However, I made up some this morning with the coloured sides and thought they looked pretty good too.

Opinions welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Warner
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for colored sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice!I prefer the "natural" looking set with just the colored roof, but they both look great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree... stay with only the tops being colored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kelsey
United States
Unspecified
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for the colored sides. I think if it was just the tops, I'd need to stand up to see what was on the far side of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MintMMs wrote:
I vote for the colored sides. I think if it was just the tops, I'd need to stand up to see what was on the far side of the board.

You'll have to anyway. Some of the shorter buildings will be hidden behind the taller ones no matter where you sit at the table, I'm betting. But they sure look cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And since I found out yesterday that my copy is on its way, I'm now planning to complete these over the next few days. I've done about 20 so far, and it took ages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game arrived yesterday at work. I went straight to the games club after work, so just played the game out of the box. Plus, my buildings are not finished yet.

But even still, I couldnt wait to set them up. First of all, I am fully aware these are going to impact on gameplay so need for people to tell me this. The good news is they look awesome.

Here are some prelimary photos:

In these photos, you will see that I haven't yet stuck labels onto the sides of many of the buildings, it is just the plain wood.

Also, the building tops are not stuck on, just placed. I was intending to stick them on. However, despite me cutting the buildings to the right size, the tops overlap a bit and this doesnt look good.

So, my plan is to scan in the building tops, print them out ever so slightly smaller, and then stick them on to the tops. This way, I can still play the game without the 3d buildings if anyone objects.

Now to get sticking the rest of the sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it!
Thanks for sharing. Looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One comment. LEGOs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmb
I don't think base 3/4" Lego bricks are available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never been interested in sawing wood until this post...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
I don't think base 3/4" Lego bricks are available.

A standard 2x4 lego brick is 1 1/4" x 5/8" or 32 x 16 mm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.