Subject: Die! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

CovertDad wrote:
Every time I hear or read about something being "well-lighted"... I cringe.

Too bad you weren't Hemingway's editor: "No, no, no. The title has to be 'A Clean Well-Lit Place', idiot!"

Fo' shizzle, this entirety debate is a ginormous problem for Muggles, whom find it funner to do things good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Blood Money
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pack of arrogant elitists.

Asmor wrote:
"Dice" is plural. "Die" is singular. When you mention "a dice," it is wrong and it reflects poorly on you. It's like walking on the bus and seeing some guy with his shirt half tucked in and buttoned up wrong. Sure, it's not my place to judge, and he's not hurting anyone... But all the same, with a little more care he would look a lot more presentable.

Why do you care how "presentable" someone is just because of the way he/she dresses/looks/appears? Furthermore, do you go out of your way to correct people who misuse a language, or misspell words? I hope you're not this annoying every day of your life. Take a break.

Twenty thumbs up so far? You should all be ashamed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drbloodmoney wrote:

Asmor wrote:
"Dice" is plural. "Die" is singular. When you mention "a dice," it is wrong and it reflects poorly on you. It's like walking on the bus and seeing some guy with his shirt half tucked in and buttoned up wrong. Sure, it's not my place to judge, and he's not hurting anyone... But all the same, with a little more care he would look a lot more presentable.

Why do you care how "presentable" someone is just because of the way he/she dresses/looks/appears? Furthermore, do you go out of your way to correct people who misuse a language, or misspell words? I hope you're not this annoying every day of your life. Take a break.

After that silly rant, I bumped it up to 21.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mb
Echtalion wrote:
Sorry to say you seem to be disinformed: syntax and grammar are synonyms. The word you were probably looking for is semantics.

I don't believe so. Syntax is the more general term for rules of language. All grammar is syntax, but the reverse is not true. Grammar is about construction of sentences, phrases, etc. Spelling and elementary word usage, such as improper pluralization, would not be a grammar issue (it has nothing to do with construction of a sentence). But it is still syntax (since everything is syntax, in essence).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mb
drbloodmoney wrote:

Time to retire your "Peace" microbadge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drbloodmoney wrote:

Asmor wrote:

Thank goodness a lot of people still care about appearance. There's nothing wrong with people who do. The same hold true of the English language. There's nothing wrong with finding proper English preferable. In general, part of the reason that this country is a bit less enjoyable place to live is that the bar has been lowered too far about what is acceptable behavior, mode of dress, appearance and language, spoken and written. That's just my take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
Fayetteville
Tennessee (TN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
drbloodmoney wrote:

Asmor wrote:

Thank goodness a lot of people still care about appearance. There's nothing wrong with people who do. The same hold true of the English language. There's nothing wrong with finding proper English preferable. In general, part of the reason that this country is a bit less enjoyable place to live is that the bar has been lowered too far about what is acceptable behavior, mode of dress, appearance and language, spoken and written. That's just my take.

That, and all the damned kids on my lawn, with their hip-hop music.

*shakes cane*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
O God, thy sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mb
Who care how many die there is?

Just don't loose the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Ryder
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One nifty aspect of English is how it mutates and changes over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Mulholland
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
English, with it's changing all about. Bah! Sola Lingua Bona est Lingua Mortua!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bean-Boy wrote:

English is, of course, a living language, and what's wrong today may be perfectly acceptable tomorrow. But people throw around the fact that English is a living language as if it gives them carte blanche for any abuse of the language, no matter how egregious.

When your usage of language causes a mental train wreck for the reader, you're doing it wrong. And that's what the problem here is. When I see, 'a dice,' it's not a matter of ambiguity. I know exactly what is meant. The problem is that reading something interrupts the flow of reading. I'd love to just continue on and ignore it, but it really is like a train wreck. I don't want to stare, but I can't look away.

dtmulhol wrote:
English, with it's changing all about. Bah! Sola Lingua Bona est Lingua Mortua!

"The only good language is a dead language" ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Hannemann
United Kingdom
Upper Heyford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
(1) Æfter þan þe Augustinus to Engla lande becom, wæs sum æþele cyning, Oswold gehaten, on Norþhymbra lande, gelyfed swyþe on God.

(2) Se ferde on his iugoþe fram his freondum and magum to Scotlande on sæ, and þær sona wearþ gefullod, and his geferan samod þe mid him siþedon.

(3) Betwux þam wearþ ofslagen Eadwine his eam, Norþhymbra cynincg, on Crist gelyfed, fram Brytta cyninge, Cedwalla geciged, and twegen his æftergengan binnan twam gearum; and se Cedwalla sloh and to sceame tucode þa Norþhymbran leode æfter heora hlafordes fylle oþ þæt Oswold se eadiga his yfelnysse adwæscte.

(4) Oswold him com to, and him cenlice wiþ feaht mid lytlum werode, ac his geleafa hine getrymde, and Crist him gefylste to his feonda slege.

(5) Oswold þa arærde ane rode sona Gode to wurþmynte, ær þan þe he to þam gewinne come, and clypode to his geferum:

(6) “Uton feallan to þære rode, and þone Ælmihtigan biddan þæt he us ahredde wiþ þone modigan feond þe us afyllan wile.

(7) God sylf wat geare þæt we winnaþ rihtlice wiþ þysne reþan cyning to ahreddenne ure leode.”

taken from Lives of the Saints, around 1000CE, written in Dorset, England http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/stella/readings/OE/AELFRIC.HTM

I think it was downhill for the English language from there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Ryder
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Bean-Boy wrote:

English is, of course, a living language, and what's wrong today may be perfectly acceptable tomorrow. But people throw around the fact that English is a living language as if it gives them carte blanche for any abuse of the language, no matter how egregious.

I would agree that people often use the living language excuse to get away with linguistic laziness. However, even OED refers to the usage of 'dice' as a singular being more common than 'die'. Common usage is king when it comes to English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Lakewood
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
Echtalion wrote:
Sorry to say you seem to be disinformed: syntax and grammar are synonyms. The word you were probably looking for is semantics.

I don't believe so. Syntax is the more general term for rules of language. All grammar is syntax, but the reverse is not true. Grammar is about construction of sentences, phrases, etc. Spelling and elementary word usage, such as improper pluralization, would not be a grammar issue (it has nothing to do with construction of a sentence). But it is still syntax (since everything is syntax, in essence).

ninja English Teacher Time! ninja

Actually, grammar transcends and includes syntax.

Grammar is the whole boat, taking into account everything: syntax, morphology, sometimes semantics, and sometimes phonology.

Source: World English Dictionary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:
stadi wrote:
"...However, it should be noted that some authoritative sources state that “In modern standard English, the singular die (rather than dice) is uncommon. Dice is used for both the singular and the plural." - from Wiktionary

The citations page gives some examples.

It's crap like this that is ruining the language. Improper usage should not become acceptable usage.

I mourn the loss of the English language. Every time I hear or read about something being "well-lighted" or people being "wedded", I cringe. Irregular verbs are wonderful things. I don't care if it makes the language harder to learn![/IMG]

You need to watch the movie, "Idiocracy". The world is only becoming more retarded and stupid. It is pretty obvious just seeing what is "popular" and how people speak. There are people on this very forum that think putting "s" on the end of words is cool ... yet any normal, semi-intelligent person thinks they are total idiots.

I am not one to nit-pick on grammar too much, I usually just write people off right away, assuming they have an IQ less than 40. If you don't take the time to write/speak properly, I am not going to take the time to try to understand what you are saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MattVid wrote:
You need to watch the movie, "Idiocracy". The world is only becoming more retarded and stupid.

Oblig XKCD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:

Go 'way... Batin'...

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.