Subject: Geek of the Week #307 - marnaudo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Marco. Your write-up answered my first question (how did you come to move to the US?).

Bloomington? I spent many hours in the stacks there as an undergrad, doing research on the UN. So, how does living in southern Indiana compare to living in the Italian Alps, or elsewhere in Italy?

What does Bloomington have that you wished Italy had?
What does Italy have that you wished Bloomington had?

Who is the most under-rated modern Italian author? Most over-rated?

Any good Italian wargame designers that we should know about? If so, are the games available in English, because my knowledge of the Italian language is limited to food words...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Marco, on your Geekosity! Very well deserved, sir! You seem to be just the appropriate person to ask this question, so:
Whaddya think of Dante in general, and his Commedia in particular? I first read it (in translation!) almost thirty years ago, and I'm still living in its aftereffects on me!

marnaudo wrote:
Marco, is it true that you have a multiple personality disorder that helps you play 2-player games in solo mode?

Ah! This explains your opinions about Yggdrasil!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Williams
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
www.ormistonwhisky.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, enjoy your week. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I Am
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Marco on being named GOTW. A most deserved recognition for your hard work here on the Geek!

I'm usually not a fan of video reviews but I must say that I appreciate your take on things. I also really like that your reviews are actually reviews and not just an unboxing or listing of components with a shaky camera... I really liked your review of The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939. Keep them coming!

How do you choose which games to review? Do you write a script before you shoot?

Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrads Marco!! Good to see little ol' Bloomington well represented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raimond
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götalands län
flag msg tools
Northern Lights
badge
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. (Carl Sagan 1934-1996)
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Lerro
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco is well deserving not only for being a passionate (war)gamer, but also and foremost for being a wonderful person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations. I'm new to BGG, but your reviews definitely stand out.

Comics, gaming, language skills, education... you're a freaking Renaissance man if there ever was one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Dias
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Congrats Marco.

Your video reviews are awesome, and many times my wallet "suffered" from watching them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio Perrone
Italy
FORLI'
flag msg tools
Non prevalebunt!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grande Marco! Congratulazioni!!! E auguri alla tua bimba!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew one day you gonna be one of the GotW, Marco. You deserves this appreciation for all your hardwork in sharing your gaming hobby. Huge Congrats.

-Damien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bravo Marco! Merçi pour tes reviews!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Complimenti....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well deserved! You are the geekiest among geeks! Its my fortune to know you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Marshall
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Much, MUCH deserved, Marco. You've done more for wargaming these days than most designers, opening up the genre to newbies and giving a lot of new perspectives to the curmudgeon grognards like me. I've been playing wargames since before you were b...well, let's just say a long time, and you've single-handedly expanded my own collection with games I've never would have experienced before without your reviews. You've got a real gift for identifying the core spirit of game designs, and your enthusiam is infectious. Keep 'em coming and we'll all keep watching. And buyin'. And playin'. And buyin' more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
1) Any personal cases of Comics--Gaming cross-pollination?

2) What would you recommend as the best book on - or of - the works of D'Annunzio?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
janus wrote:
Cerea, monsù Marco!

So, you grew up in Piedmont. Where do you come from, exactly?

Oh madoi, varda li' ca je n'aut piemunteis nt'el sito.

I grew up in S.Giovenale (population 50 people). From Cuneo you drive to Peveragno, and then you drive up more toward the Bisalta. At that point S. Giovenale will appear to you in all of its glory.
And cows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:

1) What's the coolest historic site you've visited (and I'm expecting a good one here)?

well, in Italy you get some of those pretty much every other mile... but probably my favorite historical site there is Pompei (damn you are walking in ancient Roman streets!)
In Paris I visited Proust's grave (I was a big fan back then).
In China the terracotta warriors near Xi'an, the Shaolin Monastery, and the Lingyin Temple near the West Lake at Hangzhou.

aiabx wrote:
2) What's your favourite film?

Kill Bill. I watched it (literally) at least 20 times, including the American, Italian and Japanese versions. I had a group of friends with whom we used to get together and watch it once a month.

aiabx wrote:
3) What do you miss most about Italy?

Nothing. Really. When I am there there are things I like, others I don't, but when I am in the US never do I wake up and miss this or that thing from Italy. Which makes me very lucky; many immigrants never adjust and live a sad life dreaming of being somewhere they are not.
To me home is here.

aiabx wrote:
And a bonus: I know very little Italian lit (other than the big names like Calvino, Levi and Eco). Can you toss out a quick recommendation for something fun or fascinating? Historical theme useful but not required.

Leonardo Sciascia's The Day of the Owl. It is a mystery novel so it's fully enjoyable as a read, but it gives a phenomenal representation of Sicilian society some decades ago (and, to an extent, still today).

Beppe Fenoglio's The Twenty Days of the City of Alba, a collection of short stories about young Italian partisans fighting the Nazi occupation in WW2. Focuses on the psychology of the characters, and has an overall antiheroic and antirhetorical quality that makes it very powerful and real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
"Jayne, your mouth is talking. You might wanna look to that."
badge
"Wash, we got some local color happening. A grand entrance would not go amiss."
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight Marco!!! thumbsup

Question:

What is your most & least favorite game mechanic and why?

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Mellow Muzzle wrote:

I am curious about how you resolve this when giving grades to students (I assume you do) as a professor?

I don't. I suffer through every grade I assign. Even the good ones!!

Mellow Muzzle wrote:

Lastly, this question: on what subject (possibly one that has been "overlooked" so far) would you like to see a wargame being developed most (or, an existing wargame improved)?

I'd like to see more games on the Crimean War.

I am not aware of any game on the Wars of Castro and those I'd be curious to refight.

I also think there is a State of Siege game that awaits to be made in the defense of the fortress of Brest during the Barbarossa Campaign. I can even suggest the title: "Farewell, Motherland". Now if we could just convince John Welch to design it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
janus wrote:

What about a video review of De Vulgari Eloquentia ???

I guess I'd need to play it first, no? that is not exactly my period of expertise but the topic clearly interests me. I kind of have the sense it may be one of them euros though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankConner wrote:

I took creative liberty to rewrite a small section of your bio to make it more accurate!

Luckily the incredible handsome and super intelligent Kevin Wenzel Stepped in to save the day like he always does! First he roundhouse-kicked Chuck Norris in the face just to show him who's boss, then he defeated a terrorist cell that Jack Bauer had been unable to catch, and he finally revealed to the world that Reiner Knizia is not really a person but an automated designing program created by deranged German scientists in an attempt to take over the world of gaming. He took the reins of the project like a well trained Centurnion Solider readied for battle, whipped people into shape, and guided the site to it's phenomenal 20000 hits a day popularity, which earned him an offer as judge of the next season of American Idol, a Nobel Prize, an HBO series based on his success story and a brief but tempestuous affair with a notorious Hollywood star who shall remain nameless (a clue: Angelina). I also appreciate his great wisdom and his foresight to let me win a few games once and awhile when we test review copies.
Last but not least, he created me. I believe it is time to confess I am just a figment of his imagination. When he is asleep, I don't exis

Fixed that for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff3333 wrote:

How complex do you like your wargames? Do you like to immerse yourself in rules or theme?

As complex as they have to be to be good. If you see my comment about 'fiddly' rulebooks, those ideas apply here too. Rules and theme are organically interwoven in a good game, and emphasize one another. And there are good games and bad games at all levels of complexity.

In practice I often alternate easier / lighter games to heavier ones to keep the pace of my video reviews steady. Example: 12 days to learn and play a tough game, 3 to learn and play a light one = a review a week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wenzel
United States
Bloomington
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marnaudo wrote:
FrankConner wrote:

I took creative liberty to rewrite a small section of your bio to make it more accurate!

Luckily the incredible handsome and super intelligent Kevin Wenzel Stepped in to save the day like he always does! First he roundhouse-kicked Chuck Norris in the face just to show him who's boss, then he defeated a terrorist cell that Jack Bauer had been unable to catch, and he finally revealed to the world that Reiner Knizia is not really a person but an automated designing program created by deranged German scientists in an attempt to take over the world of gaming. He took the reins of the project like a well trained Centurnion Solider readied for battle, whipped people into shape, and guided the site to it's phenomenal 20000 hits a day popularity, which earned him an offer as judge of the next season of American Idol, a Nobel Prize, an HBO series based on his success story and a brief but tempestuous affair with a notorious Hollywood star who shall remain nameless (a clue: Angelina). I also appreciate his great wisdom and his foresight to let me win a few games once and awhile when we test review copies.
Last but not least, he created me. I believe it is time to confess I am just a figment of his imagination. When he is asleep, I don't exist

Fixed that for you!

Most excellent! I am glad we finally got that straightened!

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

Bloomington? I spent many hours in the stacks there as an undergrad, doing research on the UN. So, how does living in southern Indiana compare to living in the Italian Alps, or elsewhere in Italy?

Southern Indiana wins hands down! the landscape may be less breath-taking, but the people are more interesting and nice.

wifwendell wrote:
What does Bloomington have that you wished Italy had?

Bloomington.

By which I mean, among other things, multiculturality, multiethnicity, less sexism and omophobia, more intellectual openness.

wifwendell wrote:
What does Italy have that you wished Bloomington had?

nothing, really.

wifwendell wrote:
Who is the most under-rated modern Italian author? Most over-rated?

Underrated: no one. Everyone who publishes anything in Italy is acclaimed as the last literary genius and wins some sort of literary award (there are just so many!)
Overrated: because of the above almost everyone. But one in particular: Andrea Camilleri.

wifwendell wrote:
Any good Italian wargame designers that we should know about? If so, are the games available in English, because my knowledge of the Italian language is limited to food words...

ah, I looked for some. I tried some designs by Roberto Chiavini, but they were absolutely full of loopholes and ambiguities, to the point of unplayability. I wrote him asking for clarifications, and he replied he stopped designing wargames because he doesn't have the time to fix his old rulebooks and/or do enough playtesting to correct the problems in those games. What a sad, sad message that was. so i gave up trying to play his stuff.

As for other Italian wargames, at some point I'd like to try Guelphs and Ghibellines and All is lost save Honour: if I do, I'll let you know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.