Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day Marco,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions, so to start with here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak Hook questions for you:
Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player (optional, many non-wargamers wouldn't have an answer for this)
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple )

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships
Witches
Trains
Transport (may include trains)
Workers (paid or otherwise)
Trading
Building
Pink
Theme
Ships
Money
Purple
Government
Vampires
Infrastructure
Dice
Dinosaurs
Gemstones
Dragons
Beer
Wands

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie T
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are thoroughly deserving of this honor & a very influential reviewer, Marco. I've got my eye on Hornet Leader thanks to you.
Questions, questions, questions...

1. Who is your favorite comic book hero?
2. Your favorite villain?
3. Have you read any Japanese comics (manga)?
4. What is the worst game you've ever played, & would you play it again?

Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Agenti di Viaggio wrote:
taragalinas wrote:
Well deserved! Love your reviews.

Congrats to you for GW.
Do you find language a problem for being on board game geek and also for playing the games you like?

I did struggle to learn English because my formal school education in the field had been lacking to say the least. So I spent Summer 2000 and January-August 2002 in London, trying to pick up the idiom from the natives in the pubs and reading comic books and children books (real lit was still too hard from me). Oh, and tons of tv. It got a little bit better. Some more years of struggle in the US starting from Sept 2002 and the situation became gradually acceptable.

Agenti di Viaggio wrote:
Or is English your main language?

Now it is, meaning that it is the language I overall use most often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ganotisi
Japan
Okinawa
FPO AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grats, Marco!

My wargaming craze started because of your videos... more specifically, Hornet Leader!

Semper Fi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Shyne wrote:
You are thoroughly deserving of this honor & a very influential reviewer, Marco. I've got my eye on Hornet Leader thanks to you.
Questions, questions, questions...

Batman, no doubt. I have 7 'cubes' (see my video for Battle Cry) of Batman stuff. Followed by Captain America. He is the first superhero I ever encountered, and one of the ones I always admired the most.

Shyne wrote:
2. Your favorite villain?

Galactus. There is something epic and almost poetic in him. However, considering that he devours planets as his only possible form of nutrition, that is as a necessary means of survival, one could debate whether he is actually a villain or not.

Shyne wrote:
3. Have you read any Japanese comics (manga)?

Lots of them! In my video for Battle Cry do you see the white bookshelves in the back, those that are 90 degrees from the black cubes? Those white shelves are full of mangas. And there are as many in other parts of the house.

Shyne wrote:
4. What is the worst game you've ever played, & would you play it again?

Hard to say. Even the games I did not enjoy one bit still taught me something about game design - that is they taught me what doesn't work. And it is hard for me not to be at least a little bit grateful towards things that teach me something.
But to answer at least the second part of your question: no, after a bad design teaches me what it has to teach I wouldn't play it again.

Unless my wife asks me to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
G'day Marco,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions, so to start with here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak Hook questions for you:

Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players Rommel in the Desert
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players Shogun or Thunderstone: Dragonspire
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players Tide of Iron or Down in Flames: Aces High
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players EuroFront or Origins of World War II
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players Wings of War: WW2 Deluxe set
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players: I claim the fifth!

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships: Ascending Empires [hate it]
Witches: Dominion
Trains: 1830
Transport (may include trains): String Rails (based on Tom Vasel's review only)
Workers (paid or otherwise): 51st State
Trading: Settlers of Catan
Building: 7 Wonders
Pink: Huggermugger [don't ask me why!!]
Theme: Tomb
Ships: Battleship [how original!]
Money: Owner's Choice
Purple: Popular Front
Government: Diplomacy
Vampires: Nightfall
Infrastructure: Power Grid
Dice: Zombie Dice
Dinosaurs: Trias
Gemstones: Incan Gold
Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon
Beer: Thunderstone [just played a game with the Barkeeper on the board...]
Wands: Lord of the Rings

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

that's what my list of video reviews is for! Can't give spoilers here!
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/65612/marnaudos-video-...

Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?

Thunderstone and Dou Shou Qi tonight
+Thunderstone yesterday
For the Crown (First edition) two days ago
Battle for Moscow (second edition) and Epées et croisades last week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
marnaudo wrote:

Thanks Marco. Another one on my must play next list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
marnaudo wrote:

Thanks Marco. Another one on my must play next list.

You betcha!

I will also videoreview it at some point but I am saving it for a 'rainy week'. Meaning that since I already know the game very well and I could just start filming in any moment, I'll put together a video in a week in which I won't have the time to learn and play new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Marco!

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4Having fun?
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Marco?
d10-6What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?

Red or blue or anything that can be easily seen.

Narl wrote:
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?

Summer = no teaching = more hobbies.

Narl wrote:
d10-3Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?

Nope.

Narl wrote:
d10-4Having fun?

Lotsa!

Narl wrote:
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Marco?

My mom wanted to called me Marco Maria, but my father vetoed it becase it wasn't manly enough. So only the Marco part stayed.

Narl wrote:
d10-6What is your favourite snack?

Good cheese.

Narl wrote:
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?

Friday.

Narl wrote:
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?

The slot 2-5am. When no one is around, when playing solo games, reading books and watching movies feels sweeter, and the night is a cozy blanket on your shoulders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
marnaudo wrote:
The slot 2-5am. When no one is around, when playing solo games, reading books and watching movies feels sweeter, and the night is a cozy blanket on your shoulders.

Amen to that! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
If you have some sanity left...
badge
...come and join me in the tavern I buy you a mug of beer.
mbmbmb
Congratulations!

My usual questions:
- Ever played any RPG's?
- Have you ever visited the RPG side of the site?
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterpart?

Have fun this week and may you play many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
Check out The Print and Play Games News Blog!
badge
Escape from Nooseneck High is Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! I've enjoyed your video reviews and appreciate the hard work you put into them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Congratulations!

My usual questions:
- Ever played any RPG's?

back in the day, when there still was a difference between D&D and AD&D.

Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
- Have you ever visited the RPG side of the site?

yes, occasionally - but not very often I'll admit since I do not have time for RPGs anymore...

Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterpart?

IS THERE SUCH A THING?!? wow

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/
mb
marnaudo wrote:
leroy43 wrote:
By the way, I love your avatar - where did it come from? What made you choose it?

It is from the animation short movie "Rejected" by Don Hertzfeldt. If you are not familiar with his work I highly recommend you watch "Rejected":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuOvqeABHvQ.

Is there a subliminal message in there? :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
marnaudo wrote:
leroy43 wrote:
By the way, I love your avatar - where did it come from? What made you choose it?

It is from the animation short movie "Rejected" by Don Hertzfeldt. If you are not familiar with his work I highly recommend you watch "Rejected":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuOvqeABHvQ.

Is there a subliminal message in there?

Uhm, no... I'd say everything is pretty much overliminal in this video!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
marnaudo wrote:
Shyne wrote:

Batman, no doubt. I have 7 'cubes' (see my video for Battle Cry) of Batman stuff. Followed by Captain America. He is the first superhero I ever encountered, and one of the ones I always admired the most.

We need to add this book to your collection, Marco...

Kudos on GotW - I'm already feeling sorry for the guy who is next week's choice as you are a very tough act to follow, pal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:

We need to add this book to your collection, Marco...

Kudos on GotW - I'm already feeling sorry for the guy who is next week's choice as you are a very tough act to follow, pal!

Oh, I have been saving for a while to buy this one. I am only $999.910 short to reach the required $1.000.000.

As for the next GotW, trust me, this remarkable person will make people ask themselves "Marco who? Wait, was it Marco or Parco? Can't seem to remember..."
Sic transit gloria mundi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Stich
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Accept the Geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Sagers
United States
Gainsville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny videothumbsup
Thanks for posting the link to "Rejected" by Don Hertzfeldt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Marco - thoroughly deserved. You're my favourite of the video reviewers (sorry, Tom, Jeremy, Lance, et al).

Just wondering where you film your videos? Are they all at home or do you occasionally do them at the university? That's one impressive collection of books if you're at home.

I've also noticed an interesting number of wooden puzzles on the bookshelves. Is that your collection?

I think the gaming questions have pretty much been covered, so I'll ask you a literature question. One of my favourite books is Q by Luther Blissett (in English rather than Italian). What do you think of the work of the Luther Blissett/Wu Ming guys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I Am
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batdog wrote:
One of my favourite books is Q by Luther Blissett (in English rather than Italian). What do you think of the work of the Luther Blissett/Wu Ming guys?

Great book! and an excellent question. I read the french translation (l'Oeil de Carafa), an excellent companion to "L'incendie Millénariste" by the "Os Cangaceiros" collective, for the french readers among you.

On another litterature-related question. Why do you find that Andrea Camilleri is over-rated? I've read a couple of his books translated into french (an excellent job done by Serge Quadruppani). I haven't read any other recent italian authors and don't really know what kind of hype Camilleri gets in Italy though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
batdog wrote:

Just wondering where you film your videos? Are they all at home or do you occasionally do them at the university? That's one impressive collection of books if you're at home.

I film in several locations. The background with fluffy toys on the books is my office at home, the rooms with the comic books are my living room and my fireplace room; the room with the puzzles is my office on campus... where else? the place where I filmed the video for Hornet Leader CAO et al. is my basement [I find myself confined there where there are guests around]. Occasionally I filmed in my in-laws' basement and at Rachel's Cafe. And often practical reasons force me to film a segment in one location, and another somewhere else.

batdog wrote:
I've also noticed an interesting number of wooden puzzles on the bookshelves. Is that your collection?

yes. Well, part of it at least. There are plastic, metal and wooden puzzles all around my campus office.

batdog wrote:
I think the gaming questions have pretty much been covered, so I'll ask you a literature question. One of my favourite books is Q by Luther Blissett (in English rather than Italian). What do you think of the work of the Luther Blissett/Wu Ming guys?

Shame on me, but I never read anything by them...

p.s. you have one fo my favorite avatars!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
sxmpxr wrote:
batdog wrote:
One of my favourite books is Q by Luther Blissett (in English rather than Italian). What do you think of the work of the Luther Blissett/Wu Ming guys?

Great book! and an excellent question. I read the french translation (l'Oeil de Carafa), an excellent companion to "L'incendie Millénariste" by the "Os Cangaceiros" collective, for the french readers among you.

On another litterature-related question. Why do you find that Andrea Camilleri is over-rated? I've read a couple of his books translated into french (an excellent job done by Serge Quadruppani). I haven't read any other recent italian authors and don't really know what kind of hype Camilleri gets in Italy though.

in Italy he is suposed to be this uber-God of literature, people are truly excited when a new book by him is coming out, but I find his books just entertaining (in the best cases) but overall utterly mediocre. He writes mystery novels that, as mystery novels, are just so-and-so; people find his representation of Sicilian life and dialect charming, but I find it offensively stereotypical, simplified, and cartoonish [I have wonderful sicilian friends, and none are like Catarella]. And then Italian literature of the past 20 years has been flooded by detectives just like Montalbano, I can't see what's the big deal about him. Last but far from least the language of Camilleri irritates me. In the original version, the books are written in a sort of mix between Italian and Sicilian that, however, sounds unbearably artificial and predictable. For example to say "to watch" (in Italian "guardare") he would always use the Sicilian "taliare". To which I say: "So what? What's the big deal?" If I don't know that taliare means to watch I am confused, and when I figure it out there isn't any linguistic joy that comes from it, because Camilleri uses it mechanically, without variety and creativity. On he contrary real liguistic chrome he doesn't use, because that would make the books harder to read for the non-Sicilian reader, and would lower the sales. Compare Camilleri's style to Verga's, who really dared to recreate spoken Sicilian expressions in Italian literature... darn hard to read at times but wholly rewarding. So in the end I find Camilleri a mediocre mystery writer who sells cartonish postcards of Sicily filled with Sicilian words and no vital sense of language.
Harsh?
Well, maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I Am
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marnaudo wrote:

Harsh?
Well, maybe.

Interesting though, and you wouldn't the reviewer you are if you couldn't be harsh with what you think deserves it! Thanks for the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.