Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jflartner
United States
Wayne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only make the WBC on Friday, and am looking forward to a full day of gaming in the open gaming area. What time does everything open up in the morning?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Open gaming is -- effectively -- 24/7....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Wayne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
O, awesome...so if I decide to show up at 7 AM the only limitation would be that people may not be awake that early?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct... And odds are *someone* will be up then (but certainly not me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Wayne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ooo, actually, I don't have a badge or anything - will that be a probably with arriving too early?

Its my first time to any conference-type-thingy, let alone the WBC, so thanks for all the info Chris!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter Acerbic Harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
ooo, actually, I don't have a badge or anything - will that be a probably with arriving too early?

Its my first time to any conference-type-thingy, let alone the WBC, so thanks for all the info Chris!!!

According to the email I got, registration is open 8 AM to 9 PM.

I am there starting tomorrow. Three days of gaming. It feels decadent. Yet people have been there much longer than me. Alas I had to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ottey
United States
Royersford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that no one will give you any gruff for being in the "open gaming" area without a badge at 7am. After registration opens at 8 would be a different story...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Bogucki
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We will be running demos and games of Warparty starting at 10 am today (Thursday) through Saturday morning.

Hope to see some of you folks there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bush
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got there on Monday night JUST after 9pm and just explained to people why I didn't have my badge. I was all paid up, no one minded

I'll be there tonight, woo hoo!

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
O, awesome...so if I decide to show up at 7 AM the only limitation would be that people may not be awake that early?

I know it's after the fact, but at 7 AM, you probably found people who hadn't gone to bed yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bush
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to post back here so people reading this thread next year would know my experience....it rocked!

Open gaming was awesome I went out there as someone who had never played "real" board games with other people (other than the occasional lite one with my wife) and found so many nice and welcoming people in the open gaming room.

I got to meet several people, and also got to play and learn several new games.

There were so many different things going on. I loved how there were these big signs you could sit out that let people know you were looking for people to join your game. I would walk around the room looking for an opening, and also picked out a game myself one time and sat down with the sign, and had someone join me in a matter of minutes.

Awesome

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freudianslip27 wrote:

There were so many different things going on. I loved how there were these big signs you could sit out that let people know you were looking for people to join your game. I would walk around the room looking for an opening, and also picked out a game myself one time and sat down with the sign, and had someone join me in a matter of minutes.

agree 100%. my first WBC, and my first con without my pals along, and i had a great time. so easy to find a good game looking for a player...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Matt!

Glad you enjoyed the con! Considering the sheer NUMBER of different events, it is one of the finest and best-organized cons I've ever witnessed.

If there are glitches (and there always are a few of them), they're kept very controlled and the impact on FUN is minimized by those who help organize the event. It's really a wonderful, family-friendly environment in my experience... and it's great for open-gaming without a doubt as well.

Hope to see you next year. The only problem with the con (in my opinion) is that it's impossible to tell who is there for the first time, as that would make it easier for experienced attendees to reach out as an ambassador for the hobby.

freudianslip27 wrote:
I wanted to post back here so people reading this thread next year would know my experience....it rocked!

Open gaming was awesome I went out there as someone who had never played "real" board games with other people (other than the occasional lite one with my wife) and found so many nice and welcoming people in the open gaming room.

Awesome

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents came to WBC on Saturday just for a chance to see their children (my sister came up from Maryland to play for 3 days) and grandchildren (3 playing, 2 not). My mom remarked several times on how friendly the crowd was. She sat in the lobby near Lampeter, and many people said hi as they walked past. She commented on how different the crowd was from chess tournaments she has been to.

Thanks to everyone who added cheer to her day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Russo
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
actually its not impossible, not sure if this years had them , but usually in a corner of the badges are your laurels ( wins, wood ) whatever its called , for someone like me who has been a couple days for the past three years but never made it to a final you will see some gooseeggs, 00, if you see those you can bet that person is lacking some sort of experience. At least I know I am , was a great convention as always though, open gaming in the ballroom is sweet, but I still love that the early heats are usually very newbie friendly. I was even able to play a late heat of The Adventurers with Jason Fischer, that rocked. Also did pro-golf for the first time and that was fun too.

aaxiom wrote:
Hello Matt!

Glad you enjoyed the con! Considering the sheer NUMBER of different events, it is one of the finest and best-organized cons I've ever witnessed.

If there are glitches (and there always are a few of them), they're kept very controlled and the impact on FUN is minimized by those who help organize the event. It's really a wonderful, family-friendly environment in my experience... and it's great for open-gaming without a doubt as well.

Hope to see you next year. The only problem with the con (in my opinion) is that it's impossible to tell who is there for the first time, as that would make it easier for experienced attendees to reach out as an ambassador for the hobby.

freudianslip27 wrote:

Awesome

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.