Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a co-operative game. The demo was shortened to allow flow of people getting a try, so take what I say with that grain of salt.

Initial Setup:

Each player (two in this case) is given a deck of cards. The two decks available were Military and Rouge. Each deck consists of a Base, and a assortment of character, ship, attachment, and even cards. Each player has 4 personal areas to play cards into, A ship, Mission, Assault, and Reserve area.

There are three central decks. The first is the mission deck, there are sets of cards that have a progression that tell a story. Next is the Strategy deck, this sets the course of the turn from the Empire's perspective. Last is the Empire deck, this deck contains the Character, Ship and even cards for the empire.

At the start of the game each player draws 7 cards and then is allowed to play cards totaling 7 cost, the draw back to 7 cards. In our game the event runner gave us a starting set of cards on the board. Then based on the top mission card, the empire gets set starting cards.

Turn sequence:

1) Draw 1 (+ Reserve Draw)
2) Place Development
3) Play cards from hand
4) Draw from Empire Deck
5) Draw Strategy Card
6) Increase time.
7) Refresh cards.

(Not actual names, may be miss remembering)

There is a first player token that passes between players each turn. All the phases below are performed in player order.

1) Simple step, each player draws one card. You may then exhaust player in your reserve are to draw the cards specified on them. For example I started with a Silustan Smuggler that let me draw one additional card.

2) You may take 1 card from your hand and place it under your base. Why? see next step

3) In order to play cards from your hand you must produce enough influence equal to their cost. You produce influence in two ways, by exhausting at ship for the influence value in it's lower left corner or exhausting your base for influence equal to the cards underneath it. Ships in my deck ranged from 1-4 influence, while cards ranged from 0-6.

Certain cards are "Limited" and you may only play one "Limited" card per turn. For example an X-Wing Fighter was 0 cost and generated 1 Influence, but was "Limited". Cards that have a * next to their name are unique.

Both Ships and Characters have a strength and defense value. Characters may also have 0-4 rebel icons on them representing their mission power.

4) Each player is then required to draw 2 cards from the Empire deck and resolve or place them. Ship cards are placed in a line against your ships, while character cards are placed in 1 of 3 lines that are shared among all players. The three lines of characters are represented my a symbol that is also color coded green, blue, and red. These were also described to me as Passive, Defensive, and aggressive. I know red==aggressive, I may have the other two backwards.

While drawing these cards you may encounter cards that cause you to draw extra. You may also draw cards with the "Flashpoint" keyword. This requires the drawing player to resolve the effect immediately without consulting the other players.

5) You then draw a strategy card. This has 5 parts.

5a) Each card has a text effect that must resolve. One such effect was the Imperial ships would attack at the end of the turn.

5b) The Imperials attack, the card will instruct which of the 3 rows of characters will attach which of the 3 areas of player characters. The total attack power of the Imperials is added together and that much damage must be applied to player characters in that area if possible. So if only one player has characters in that area they must take it all, it can't be wasted on a player with no characters.

5c) The players assault area attacks an Imperial area. I'm starting to get fuzzy here on what I remember (and it's 1am). I can't recall if this is a specific zone or it's always player choice. If it is player choice all players muct agree on the zone.

5d) Imperials attack again.

5e) Players mission again a specific zone defined on the card. Like the rebel symbols on the player characters, Imperials have symbols. You compare the total rebel symbols subtract the Imperial symbols and make that much progress toward the current mission. Our mission was Return to Yavin, to recover some data files left behind. This required 6 progress.

Resolve ship combat if specified. This is a tally up damage from Imperials apply to defense of rebels, any excess damage goes against your base. You base can take 10 total damage before you are out of the game.

6) You then increase the time marker. The mission cards also have a time limit. If the time limit is exceeded the mission fails and it makes the game even harder as you progress. The first mission had a time limit of 6. There are cards in the Imperial deck that can increase the time marker further. There is nothing in the game that reduces the time marker.

7) Refresh cards, lather rinse repeat.

There are of course abilities on all types of cards that break rules, modify circumstances, etc.

Overall I was pleased with what I saw. This game is different enough from other LCGs to make it a worthy addition. I've been lackluster towards LotR but I'll definitely be in line to pick this one up. The pace was good, and the difficulty at the right level to keep you going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rog
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx for this!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like there won't be "multi-sphere" decks and that which ships go after you is determined by what cards you draw. So you can't have one player focus on space combat, though the missiony areas seem to be shared so perhaps some focus can be done there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to hear this won't be a carbon-copy of LotR with new art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The more i read about this, the more it seems like a LOTR:LCG retheme (with some small gameplay changes).

Anyhow, I'll keep a close eye on this, and see how it develops, but, up until now, I am a bit underwhelmed.

I hope to be mistaking.

@Jake: thanx for the info.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
The more i read about this, the more it seems like a LOTR:LCG retheme (with some small gameplay changes).

Anyhow, I'll keep a close eye on this, and see how it develops, but, up until now, I am a bit underwhelmed.

I hope to be mistaking.

@Jake: thanx for the info.

Cheers

Strange, I assumed it would too, but from the summary we just got it sounds pretty significantly different, just uses some ideas from lotr (e.g. an "encounter" deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b p
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From the info in this game-play review, it actually seems they used elements from both A game of thrones and Lotr.
A pretty strange mix but it kind of makes sense seeing those two are currently FFGs most successful card games.

And i cant believe that after 2 years of lurking on the BGG unregistered THIS would make me sign up and comment.
Weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karrde wrote:
The two decks available were Military and Rouge.

Players can perform military actions or apply cosmetics?
"I find your lack of rouge disturbing."

I kid, I kid!

Thanks for the detailed review. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this one now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender Wiggin wrote:
karrde wrote:
The two decks available were Military and Rouge.

Players can perform military actions or apply cosmetics?
"I find your lack of rouge disturbing."

I kid, I kid!

Thanks for the detailed review. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this one now.

Hehe. My first thought was if "Ooh nice. If we can get Fuscia and Aquamarine decks too I could probably get the Mrs. playing!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually it sounds like a melding of some mechanics from LotR and Warhammer Invasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This just makes me wish someone had just re-worked the old Decipher CCG into an LCG. I loved that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
Sounds like there won't be "multi-sphere" decks and that which ships go after you is determined by what cards you draw. So you can't have one player focus on space combat, though the missiony areas seem to be shared so perhaps some focus can be done there.

The decks as provided did not have any provision for "multi-sphere". I'm not sure what you would do to offset the addition of other "sphere" cards. Perhaps reduce the HP of the base, that number was printed on it and not "10 per the rules". These bases also served as a turn order reminder, so there wasn't room on there for much else.

karrde wrote:

5b) The Imperials attack,
I'm starting to get fuzzy here on what I remember (and it's 1am)
5d) Imperials attack again.

I think I got fuzzy here. I know there are 4 "combats" and Imperials are first, then assault, then imperials again, then mission and here is a Strategy card

The icons at the top left define this sequence. I could wish for perhaps a different one. I'm not sure if the first one defines "blue attacks mission area" or "blue attacks any rebel area". It then says "Assault attacks any target", "red attacks assault", "Mission opposed by green". Let me get back to a demo table to clarify.

This is a good example of a character card. He costs 4 influence to play, has an attack strength of 3, 3 hit points and provides 3 mission value. You must be able to exhaust a character to send him on the mission so it's that or his response assuming he's in the mission area.

The pilot ability reminds me that I forgot to mention, sometime after all the combats of a turn you are allowed to reposition 1 character between zones.

The "sphere" icon is there on the top right. Neutral cards have no icon there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jr. Cukingnan
Philippines
flag msg tools
Duck + Hat = Duck Hat
mbmbmbmbmb
So missions primarily deal with space combat? Was there any land based or character/infantry interaction?

And more importantly, were Chewy and Lando Calrissian in the decks you were able to play with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sexy Boy wrote:
So missions primarily deal with space combat? Was there any land based or character/infantry interaction?

No that is the "Empire Strategy card" not the mission. There isn't a pic of a mission card available, I'll try and get one today.

Sexy Boy wrote:

And more importantly, were Chewy and Lando Calrissian in the decks you were able to play with?

Yes they were in the "non-millitary" deck .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karrde wrote:

this is awesome. i assume this is Han about to beat Lando at cards with the Falcon as the wager?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few pics of cards in the gencon video reel on fantasy flights website.

Can see the name of some cards (wedge, luke) and can see the x-wing and a-wing, plus a nice shot of the table, hard to make out most cards but I have been trying

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2530
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:
This just makes me wish someone had just re-worked the old Decipher CCG into an LCG. I loved that game.

Never played it - but would have liked to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Rahman Ibrahim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It might just be me, but I was hoping it'd be Dark Side vs Light Side instead of co-op. Hopefully there's a Dark Side playable box set available in the future so that this will happen.

But the cards look awesome as they are. I'm glad they didn't just slap on movie stills and called it a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
almond55 wrote:
It might just be me, but I was hoping it'd be Dark Side vs Light Side instead of co-op. Hopefully there's a Dark Side playable box set available in the future so that this will happen.

This is also good news... which makes me hope for a similar thing, for LOTR:LCG... but this is merely wishful thinking.

Quote:
But the cards look awesome as they are. I'm glad they didn't just slap on movie stills and called it a day.

Indeed! FFG games, with LOTR and this has some of the best art in the business, no doubt about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to hear it is sounding less like the LotR game. Next year can't come fast enough.

Thanks Jake for taking the time to write a review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Pogoda
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos for quickly posted review.

Ikim wrote:
almond55 wrote:

This is also good news... which makes me hope for a similar thing, for LOTR:LCG... but this is merely wishful thinking.

I think… I'll wait till FFG releases Dark Side box. Star Wars deserves real confrontation, it was always good boys against bad ones, Light side against Dark. IMO the Force is weak with this one I tried Lord of the Rings LCG recently and it was lacking true confrontation too, this very clash with real player.

As for art, new graphics made from scratch are not bad, but I hope frames and graphic layout will be improved. Demo cards are lacking somehow. Compare it to Rune Age – it is also recent product, but communications is clear, all icons, text, stuff is neat and tidy. I hope these demo cards are far from being finished
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that this is going to be the FIFTH Star Wars CCG/LCG, I'm very glad it's co-op. We've had 4 previous Versus card games, surely there's room for a co-op one now? And I'm sure that FFG have more games in the pipeline so those who dislike co-op will no doubt get an LCG for them, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I got some pictures and a few more details.

These photos are pending so you may not see them. Any that get rejected I'll replace with private pics.

This is an overall shot of the play areas they had setup for the demo area. From the bottom up you have the mission zone, closeup later. Then you have the 3 areas for the 3 types of imperial cards, and the two vertical areas that imperial star ships go in. Along each player area you have their Reserve, Assault and Mission areas, followed by their star ship area, then their base.

The closeup of the mission zone. We have The Empire deck, The strategy deck and the active mission card. We also have the Progress and Time counters.

Here we have two characters in a players mission zone. This is denoted by the Rebel icon over them.

Here we have the Stage 1 mission card. You can see in the upper right is the Time limitation, and in the lower left is the Progress needed to complete this mission. On the bottom is the setup requirements for this stage.

I know this image is terrible. This is the Strategy card "Hunt Them Down" The text requires each player to reveal the top 3 cards of their deck and discard any characters. The rest are shuffled back into your deck. The sequence for the turn is , Red attack Reserve, Assault any target, Blue attacks Mission, and Mission against Green.

A much cleaner shot of the Strategy card "Reinforcements". "If there are fewer Imperial cards than Rebel characters, draw 1 additional encounter card per player". Sequence: ?? attack Assault, Assault any target, Red attack Mission, Mission against Blue.

A shot of various ships. The one chopped off at the top is interesting in that it can be exhausted by any player.

I did find out something that was skipped in my original demo. If you have a second copy of a unique character, they can be put out as a stack so then when the character is killed only one card of the stack goes away (similar to GoT).

[Edit: All images should now be in place... no modereators I can't take them out of the sleeves.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stenun wrote:
Given that this is going to be the FIFTH Star Wars CCG/LCG, I'm very glad it's co-op. We've had 4 previous Versus card games, surely there's room for a co-op one now?

Totally agree, having played Star Wars CCG, Young Jedi CCG and Star Wars TCG, all "versus games" it is nice, that there comes a SW game, that I can also play solo!
@ Jake Di Toro: Thank you very much for the nice review! I am now even more excited to play this! How would you compare the difficulty to LotR LCG scenarios?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karrde wrote:
You must be able to exhaust a character to send him on the mission so it's that or his response assuming he's in the mission area.

ug, I hated that in LOTR. I was hoping this would be passive and things would be more combat based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.