Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, my first review didn't have enough content about the how the game works so here's the extended directors cut...

What is the game about?
The game immediately reminded me of Dutch Blitz / Ligretto. You get a pile of cards that you have to get rid of by playing them into numerically ascending piles in the middle of the table. The trick is that you can only access the topmost card in your stack.

How is it played?
On every turn you draw until you have five cards. Those hand cards and the card on the stack are used to start or continue the discard piles in the middle of the table. Once you can no longer place any cards you put one of your remaining hand cards into a reserve pile beside you that you'll be able to use next round. Then the next player does his thing.

There can only be 4 discard piles in the middle and only once a pile reaches 12 cards it is removed and a new one can be started.

How do I like it?
I am generally very open minded when it comes to new games. While I am more drawn to complex games with lots of bits and pieces I also do enjoy simpler games like Uno or Bohnanza. I like card games and have nothing against a significant luck factor if the game is well done.

I am never playing this game again. From my point of view this game simply has too much luck involved. The winner of the game is almost entirely determined by the cards. Aside from some very rare opportunities to potentially damage the chances of the following player it has the depth of War.

If you desperately need some gaming and find yourself without a functioning brain then this is the perfect game. Otherwise these are not the cards you are looking for...

Even though I suck at Ligretto I far prefer loosing because someone is actually better at a game than just because they were lucky.

There are plenty of other simple card games that are far superior. Don't bother with this one.

EDIT: Addendum
Against my better judgment I let people convince me that there is some degree of control and strategy to the game. Yes, apparently you do not *have* to play a card so you are not required to play into your opponents hands.

So I played it one more time to see if it feels different. Unfortunately it didn't. It's somewhat interesting to deny the next player the card he obviously needs to continue. But in the end this averages out and does nothing but prolong the game - which is the last thing you'll want to do with such a game. I'm afraid my original conclusion still stands...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selah Fairport
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Skip-Bo is almost like conjoint Freecell where you are playing with shared supply, discard, and build stacks. You only have control over your own tableau for "hold cards" and proper use of that is the real strategy. There is advanced strategy of watching the other person's tableau in order to they to leave them without being able to utilize/unblock cards (for example, I may play one fewer card at the end of my turn if that card would have allowed you to get cards off your tableau).

Still, this is more of a card game for fans of traditional cards games, is best with two players, and is probably most enjoyable playing with an AI opponent electronically. For the iOS I recommend "Spite and Malice."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nyn -
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had Skipbo as a kid and didn't particularly care for it then. I think UNO is a more advanced game with a very similar feel and would always prefer it if choices were provided. I have not introduced my daughter to Skipbo and likely will avoid doing so as I really don't care to play the game again if I can avoid it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.