Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, what a fun ride this last week has been! Thank you to all who posted questions and comments on my GotW thread.

And now that it is finally time to pass the crown and scepter on, I am delighted to confer the honor to a most deserving user, one whose written and video reviews and contributions to forum threads I have enjoyed many times in the past. He is a great presence on the Geek and the only reason I can imagine why he hadn't been chosen as GotW before is that probably everyone believed he must have been GotW already.

Well, now that I have the opportunity to rectify that negligence it is my pleasure, honor and privilege to give you the one and only:
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

And here is his story, in his own words:

Garfink wrote:

First off, it is a honor to be Geek of the Week! I would like to thank BGG admins for the great site and developing such a grand community of liked minds. I would like to thank all my fellow boardgamers that frequent the site, your insights and passion exudes through my monitor screen and is infectious. A special thanks to all the people on the Wargaming Sub-forum, you guys are the best, the most supportive and intelligent group of people I am ever likely to meet.

Paths of Glory...

I’ve had an oddball life, but here is a summary... dare I say... highlights...

In the Beginning...

I was originally born in Hong Kong, my father is from Guangong province in China and my mother is also ancestrally Chinese but having emigrated to Vietnam. I don’t have many recollections of my youth in Hong Kong, this much I know. We were very poor. I remember having to share a shower with my father and sister because even water was too much of an expense. When I was 7 years old my father became a Buddhist bhikkhu (Monk), and I too had to follow the bhikkhu way for 2 years, on my 9th birthday my mother divorced my father and with custody, we immigrated to Melbourne, Australia. How does this relate to my life as a geek and wargamer? To me this period of my life is fundamental to my value system and hence how I perceive the world. It set the stage that is my life. My broad perspective and love of life is intrinsically link to these core past experiences. My humble beginnings made me see how lucky I am today and how valuable everything I have is, this has made me very curious about the world which eventually led me to one my many loves... Board Wargaming.

Lost Virginity...

My first introduction to boardgaming, at the age of 10, was Monopoly (not surprisingly), it wasn’t just a passing interest either. After playing a few times with young members of my family, I realised very quickly that there was something seriously wrong with the way we were playing. In the game we used to be able to build houses and hotels whenever you land on it, without owning a set of properties. So the game would drag on and on, because in some games no one landed on their own properties to upgrade. So I did something that never occurred to my family and friends... I read the rulebook! This was my first act in my long road to becoming a wargamer. I actually enjoyed reading the rulebook!

Locally there was a brick and mortar store that sold boardgames, I love visiting that store but everything so expensive! The first thing I managed to buy was the original red box Dungeons and Dragons, we played this extensively during primary school and early secondary school. Sometime in this period I discovered the wonderful world of boardgames at the same shop. My first purchased game was Talisman and shortly after Dungeon Quest. For a kid of 13 these were wonderful games, games that I can play with just one friend without the need for a Dungeon Master. Looking back now, these games’ mechanics are pretty random and non strategical but nevertheless, they stimulated the imagination enough to be entertaining. I still have some fond memories of these games.

Wargaming Start-here...

My first introduction to wargaming is Diplomacy. Some kid at school photocopied these maps and asked if I wanted to play. It consumed my life for at least 2 weeks! Wheeling and Dealing. The game came down to a last move... my “Ally” backstabbing me on this pent-ultimate turn, losing the game for both me and him! It was sublime! I quickly caught on to wargames and went and bought my first wargame: PanzerBlitz and never looked back!

During the rest of my high school life, I joined a local wargaming club in Melbourne and played constantly, I probably played 75% of every Avalon Hill Boardgame ever made. It was an awesome time of my life. I still didn’t own many boardgames at this time, as most of my savings were channeled in my computer gaming hobby. Even here I loved my wargames with a heavy dose of RPGs as well. My favorite computer of all time was a game from a very young EA Games called Wasteland. It was an awesome and inspired post-apocalyptic adventure and rivals any game made ever since. Lets not forget SSI computer wargames, I spent much of my younger life reliving the second world war on my Commodore 64 & Amiga 500 and later on, my IBM AT and then a 386 PC. Games like Baltic 1985, Battle for Normandy, Battlegroup, Breakthrough in the Ardennes, Computer Bismarck, Conflict Middle-east and many many more.

During this time I ran my own Bulletin Board (BBS) from home, this was before the advent of the Internet. It was a place to share digital photos and ideas around a loose fantasy theme. My 5th year in High School could only be described as my ASL year, it was day night ASL for almost the whole of 12 months and I can tell you that my mother was worried about my sliding grades!

Adult Life...

University opened a Pandora's box of interests for me, I entered The University of Melbourne and majored in Math & Quantum Electrodynamics & History and Philosophy of Science, during this time I discovered the wonder that is the library and I fell in love with reading books, books of every category; fiction, science fiction, fantasy, history, philosophy, science, art. You name it I read it. During this prime time of my life, boardgaming fell to the wayside to art, photography, painting, astronomy, computer games, beer & chicks. Later on I entered Veterinary Science, during my Veterinary Schooling I came into contact with much of the outback rural life in Australia, which was previously alien to me. I worked on cattle ranches the size of Belgium in the Kimberley's, Goat dairies, Cattle dairies, Horse Ranches, Alpaca Farms, Sheep Farms, Zoos, Aquaria just to name a few. It was an awesome opportunity and really opened my eyes to another way of life. Another highlight during this period of my life was backpacking around Australia for a whole year on a shoestring budget. Had a great time, pretty much traveled every corner of Australia, got my Padi Scuba License & learnt to surf (the waves not the Internet!), drank too much beer & smoked too much weed and met a myriad of people from different countries.

My Geeky Life now...

Having graduated from Veterinary Science, I worked many years for the RSPCA and later worked for a local Sea theme park, working with sharks and fish. Twelve years ago, I emigrated back to Hong Kong and later started my own small animal practice. I currently own and run two very establish clinics in Hong Kong. During the early years in Hong Kong, it was all work with little play, what little play was courting women. My photography hobby became very serious and I started my own Photography Art Gallery selling my own works and displaying others. I also teach photography too. I also had a column call “Urban Jungle” for the South China Morning Post about life in Hong Kong from the perspective of an ex-pat, animal lover, scientist & veterinarian. I found my beautiful wife here in Hong Kong, she is not much of a boardgamer, but manages to kick my ass in those few that we do play, like lost cities & battleline. She is very tolerant of me buying boardgames, as its a much cheaper hobby than my camera & lens collection. She is obsessed with a boardgame of sorts and that is Mahjong. Both of us are pretty much sharks in most forms of Mahjong games, so beware of our MJ Gambling invites! That is how we finance my boardgame collection! Following in my father’s footsteps, I too am an avid Buddhist and hope fate will lead me too to the path of enlightenment. I am in the midst of writing a family history and autobiography for publishing.

Boardgaming Renaissance

About 5 years ago, I discovered Boardgamegeek and caught the bug again! I wasn’t sure where to start so I just went and bought many of the games in the Top 20 at the time. Not surprisingly these were mostly Euro designer games such as Settlers, Puerto Rico, Tigris & Euphrates... things went downhill from there... not having too many face-to-face partners in the beginning, I started buying solitaire games and I ended up with almost all of them, as many of you may already know, many solitaire games just happen to be wargames and I started to diverge to playing wargames against myself. And later I decided to buy back all my memories... and now own most of the Avalon Hill, Victory, SPI, TSR that were ever made... I even bought back all my favorite S&T, Wargamer, Command magazines too. This renewed interest in Wargames then extended into newer games from GMT, Decision Games, DVG Games, Legion Games, Vae Victis, MMP, VPG and others. Now I find myself pre-ordering many new games too. Its not about collecting either, I play on average about 4 different heavy wargames a week & many light ones and read through as many new rulebooks in that time as well. I am a boardgame whore, way too undiscipline to be called a Grognard, I will play almost any boardgame. I love playing games solitaire, its almost a form of meditation for me, time for me to slow down the pace of life in the fast pace setting of Hong Kong. I have worked out that I play around 200 different boardgames a year and will go through my collection in about 4 years (plus and minus a monster game or two!) I dabbled in writing review for boardgames for awhile and decided to give video reviews a try too. Its been fun. Too many games, too many things to do, too little time.

Happy boardgaming.

Poll
Which one is the lie?
1) My first euthanasia experience was killing a cyclopian, one eyed calf.
2) My first animal delivery was to help a sheep give birth to twin lambs.
3) My first semen collection was from a stallion that nearly kicked my head in.
      76 answers
Poll created by marnaudo

Ok Eric, enjoy your week and here are some questions to get you started!

1 what was your most disappointing game purchase?

2 how would you describe your ASL experience in less than 10 words?

3 how do you manage the controlled schizophrenia that is necessary to solo play 2-player wargames?

4 what's your favorite combat system in wargames (odds ratio, bucket of dice, roll = or > than the defense of the opponent, diceless, simultaneous selection of actions, etc)?

5 if you were a board game, which one would you be?

6 how are wargames entering your search for enlightenment?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations.

thumbsup for the superb avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Congratulations Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Congratulations.

Frankly I find it annoying and discourteous. If someone wishes to view such images on an appropriate site, that's their business. BGG is not intended as such a site and I don't want to have to deal with pictures of people insufficiently dressed or doing things that ought be kept private just to follow a discussion on a gaming forum.

Be that as it may, congrats to our new GotW! Enjoy the honor.

Questions:
1. What's your favorite abstract? wargame? euro? Ameritrash game? card game? other?
2. I've always heard that veterinary school is more competitive than ordinary med school. Is that correct and any related stories?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Question:

1. What is the story behind your avatar? It's one of the most distracting and distinctive on this site... I only know you from stumbling across that avatar from time to time...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations! Another great choice. And wicked avatar too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent choice! I must say that I am a little in awe of you. As a fellow vet (of 25 years) and small animal clinic owner I am amazed at the amount of living you pack into a 24 hour day. I only own one clinic (with my wife who is a vet too) and I barely have the time or energy to play boardgames let alone do all the other stuff you do. I tip my hat to you - you are always very helpful, courteous, are obviously very knowledgable about wargames and have the best avatar on BGG. Hope you have a good week on BGG and may you have no obese dog spays for the whole week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
As a well-known BGG Renaissance man, are there any more areas or subjects you want to pursuit in the future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Know the avatar... appreciate your contribution to the site...

Congrats, Sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Eric.

Without doubt I think you have one of the most amazing and interesting user profiles on the geek. thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

whac3 wrote:
pete belli wrote:
Congratulations.

Frankly I find it annoying and discourteous. If someone wishes to view such images on an appropriate site, that's their business. BGG is not intended as such a site and I don't want to have to deal with pictures of people insufficiently dressed or doing things that ought be kept private just to follow a discussion on a gaming forum.
That's one of the funniest posts I've seen in a while. Let me know if you want me to send you some of the appalling statistics about the harm alcohol causes society Anyway, we are all entitled to our views, take it easy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cassens
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
Congratulations Eric! I have to admit, I also thought you already had been GotW. Enjoy your week!

Cheers,

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
Check out The Print and Play Games News Blog!
badge
Escape from Nooseneck High is Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Long live the Commodore!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

I played a lot of C64 back in the day myself. So, if you were to pick something like 3 to 5 titles from the C64 as you favorites what would they be and why?

Congrats again and I hope you enjoy your week in the spotlight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
GRATZ! and I'm a 'Commodore' too ~ "C"? robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmb
Congrats!!!!

Arkham just looks funny amongst your other games rated a 10, why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marnaudo wrote:

1 what was your most disappointing game purchase?

2 how would you describe your ASL experience in less than 10 words?

3 how do you manage the controlled schizophrenia that is necessary to solo play 2-player wargames?

4 what's your favorite combat system in wargames (odds ratio, bucket of dice, roll = or > than the defense of the opponent, diceless, simultaneous selection of actions, etc)?

5 if you were a board game, which one would you be?

6 how are wargames entering your search for enlightenment?

1) Oddly, I don't think I have had any big disappointments in my game purchases, maybe its that Australian Pragmatism "It'll be right". The last game time I thought "Damn this game isn't for me..." was probably the first printing of Descent: Journeys in the Dark (standalone without expansions). It was a rather hyped up game that cost a lot of money from a solid publisher: For me a recipe for disappointment. I usually like fantasy theme games but this one was just a little fiddly to setup to play, the dungeons and gameplay was very generic and my group was turned off it in the first 20 minutes. It wasn't hard or anything, just wasn't very deep... at the same time not very light. I understand that the expansions really perk this game up, but I am not will to invest more in to the system.

2) I can do it in three words: "Life Vampiric Fun"

3) "I don't"... "Yes you do, tell Marco"... "You Shut up"... "Okay then, Look its your go again, remember its a IGO-IGO game"

Here is what I do: I usually favor a side, say its Barbarossa. I will decide to favor the Russians... I will then try to think creatively for the Russians to breakthrough, while at the same time use COLD logic to manage the Germans... its funny though... usually objectivity wins over subjectivity/creativity and it often ends (in this case) in a Russian defeat. Sometimes I surprise myself and the creativity works and I learn something from it. Some times (especially with first plays) I just play it historically and see how the simulation works out.

5) I am stuck in the past on this one: I like "Odds Ratio", after all these years its become second nature in thinking this way. "Must have 3:1 odds, must have 3:1 odds...." Although the occasion game that uses a clever "roll> deference in defence/attack" is refreshingly quick too. Not much of a bucket of dice fan... Thinking about The Battle for Normandy D-Day Landings still gives me wrist-pains and dice allergy.

6)My wife would say "Mr. Know It All". But I tell her that what I know pales in comparison when compared to some of the geeks on this site!!

7)Very interesting question... I don't think it helps much directly... I have play Puerto Rico dozens of times and still haven't attained Buddhahood yet... I will keep trying...

I find the solo experience quite relaxing and meditative. I am not focus on my breathing but I am definitely focus on the task at hand. There is also room for much introspection during solitaire sessions that I find soothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

Questions:
1. What's your favorite abstract? wargame? euro? Ameritrash game? card game? other?
2. I've always heard that veterinary school is more competitive than ordinary med school. Is that correct and any related stories?

1)Abstract: Mahjong : no theme, really just a numbers game, but its the game my wife loves the most and its by far the most often played game in our house. We have an electric automatic shuffling table and many many partners to play against. We do play for real money (over time, no one really loses, as every dog has its day), so the gambling aspect really makes it exciting and the version we play is a Taiwanese Version with Wild Tiles and its full of strategic options.

Wargame: World in Flames : Just mega, and I just love grand strategy games since my first game of The Civil War, Rise and Fall I have been hook on them! And WiF is simply the ultimate! Plays really well solitaire to boot!

Euro: Lost Cities : Kudos in creating a game so readily playable to non-gamers. This is THE only game that my wife requests to play and as Darth Vader would say "Impressive." A special mention for Agricola, its a very popular game among my group, I agree with comments that there isn't enough player interaction... but I am all for a multiplayer solitaire game... I am bias that way.

Ameritrash: Thunderstone, not much of an Ameritrash person really and this game is only on the margins of Trash. But it does fit the category. Plays really well solitaire, replayability is excellent with all the expansions.

2) School.... it all seems to be so long ago now.... "back in the day" at the University of Melbourne, Vet School was the hardest to get in because of the low numbers of spaces available, there were 50 placements in my state compare to over 800 for med school. This simple fact alone makes Vet School harder to get into. This is not to say, one profession is better than the other!, just a supply and demand thing I guess. Its a tough life as a vet, especially starting out, low pay, long hours, stressful work... but for me its really paid off... its really one of my passions and every day at work really gives me a deep sense of satisfaction. It pays the bills on time and now that I am boss, it allows me more time to pursue other interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Question:

1. What is the story behind your avatar? It's one of the most distracting and distinctive on this site... I only know you from stumbling across that avatar from time to time...!

The avatar represents my nostalgia of my Commodore past, in essence, my introduction to geekhood and my life long (healthy?) love of women (wife included of course!)

Each to their own on the issue of a raunchy avatar. Oddly enough the photo was a "gift" from a fellow geek, who found my previous Commodore clad avatar a little anaemic for her taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petdoc wrote:
Excellent choice! I must say that I am a little in awe of you. As a fellow vet (of 25 years) and small animal clinic owner I am amazed at the amount of living you pack into a 24 hour day. I only own one clinic (with my wife who is a vet too) and I barely have the time or energy to play boardgames let alone do all the other stuff you do. I tip my hat to you - you are always very helpful, courteous, are obviously very knowledgable about wargames and have the best avatar on BGG. Hope you have a good week on BGG and may you have no obese dog spays for the whole week.

I run a lazy practice! I only work like 6 hours a day and 2 hour long lunch naps. The secret are the naps! I sleep only on average 5 hours each night and that leaves a lot of time pursue other activities.

What DOESN'T help at all is my wife's job! She runs a chain of Frozen Yogurt and Scone Shops here in Hong Kong and her hours are from 7pm to 1am! So if I want to have a life with her and actually see her... I need to run strange hours! We don't get to bed till 4-5am every day and I get to work by 10:30am, sleep between 2-4pm and finish work around 7pm and since my wife is gone to work during this time (for part of the week) I get a good solid 5-6 hours in for hobby time! We often start playing Mahjong with CRAZY NIGHT OWL friends at 1am!!!! I only work 5 days a week (usually) and that allows me 2 whole days to play monster games or get some sunshine and take some photos.

Here are 2 links to my photo webpages:

http://hkcamera.wordpress.com/
http://lynette-and-drericlai.smugmug.com/

I am sure I would be very envious of your clinic!!! In Hong Kong my clinics are shoe boxes, 700sqft both of them! The good thing (or bad) about being a vet in Hong Kong is the lack of specialists... there aren't any apart from a pathologist and that means I get to do all the orthopedics (no matter whole ridiculously difficult it is) and even crazy open chest stuff as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
Congratulations!
As a well-known BGG Renaissance man, are there any more areas or subjects you want to pursuit in the future?

Now that is an exaggerated compliment I don't deserve! But Thank You!

Of Course!! Life takes you down unexpected paths and my life has taken many odd detours, so I can't be sure what would crop up next. But, now that you mention it, I was just invited last week to partake in a DJ position (once a week) at a newly formed local FM radio channel. Its going to be a chat show about animal/science related issues. I also plan to fly to various parts of the world (I have a very large family) to visit all my relatives to do interviews for a family history book I want to write. My VERY LARGE family (Both my grandparents had 16 children alone!) has had a very interesting tree... Example: My father before he became a monk, was a circus magician & stongman in China that toured Soviet Union during Stalin's era. His legacy was that he left a large pile of photographs, never seen before, of life in Rural China and the USSR during those dark times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runcible Spoon wrote:
Congrats!

I played a lot of C64 back in the day myself. So, if you were to pick something like 3 to 5 titles from the C64 as you favorites what would they be and why?

Congrats again and I hope you enjoy your week in the spotlight.

I loved the Commodore 64, it was the first real expensive "toy" I got from my mum when I was a kid. She was a single mother and the C64 was a most effective pacifier and kept me busy for many years. It wasn't just another computer for me.... It really is a symbol of a simpler time for me, and with this context I can truly see how lucky we really are now and how the world has so drastically changed in the last 20 years.

Some of my favorite Commodore games were:

(C64) Wasteland : A tour de force for the imagination. I can still remember Snake Vargus pumping lead in a mutant, till it exploded like a blood sausage.

(C64) Champions of Krynn : Having freshly read the novels (Dragonlance) at the time, this series was very well done and very immersive. I named all my characters after those of the books and relived their adventures. It was very cool

(C64) Elite : It was a game beyond its time, an open world to explore, it was so free-form, it was hard to believe at the time. Felt like Buck Rogers, racketeering through space. It was very tactical, action pack and at the same time deep. Great game.

(C64) Sid Meier's Pirates : This was an awesome game, the narrative was so strong and compelling, the graphics was excellent and the gameplay was simply sublime... lining up broadsides to fire on your enemies, rescuing your family from evil barons by fence play, the open nature of your mission. To this very day I have an intense interest in all things Caribbean because of this title!

(C64) Bard's Tale series : My gateway to computer RPGs it was just an uber game and the sense of achievement from level your characters was immense. I remember the first time I leveled a mage to use level 7 spells and firing off some disintegration powers at enemies, melting them was awesome. It was the grand daddy of all the other RPGs that came after.

I have to throw in one of my favorite Amiga 500 games:

Dungeon Master : The best dungeon crawl I have every played, and still plays very well to this very day, the graphics are a little pixellated compared to today's offerings, but have held up very well to the test of time. I would never forget (both my friend and I) physically falling out of my chair whilst play the first level of the game, when a mummy ambushed us from behind was a roar. It really was a blast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Congrats!!!!

Arkham just looks funny amongst your other games rated a 10, why?

I really meant it when I said I was a bit of a gaming whore. I can appreciate any game for what it is (the market it was intended for) and Arkham Horror is the epitome of its genre. Not very strategical, a game that is purely kept aloft by its narrative and story telling! A very admirable achievement in my opinion. The damn game just OOZES theme.

Not to mention that it plays so well solitaire that I ALMOST bought the damn figurines... but I had a hard time thinking where I can display them... so I held off on them... but I did buy the official AH Dice and every expansion, bar the second printing of the Pharaoh expansion.

I really have play this game to death! The hours of entertain is worth a 10 alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
If you have some sanity left...
badge
...come and join me in the tavern I buy you a mug of beer.
mb
Congratulations!

My usual questions:
- Ever played any RPG's?
- Have you ever visited the RPG side of the site?
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterpart?
- Looking at you're avatar, are you active on VGG as well?

Have fun this week and may you play many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tscook wrote:

1 If you had to recommend one wargame series/family, which would it be?

I am only limited to ONE!!???! No fair!

I will give you three answers:

1) CDG : In particular Paths of Glory & Pursuit of Glory, I just love the intricacies of these games and how well the CDG system works with WWI scenarios. I think its the scale and (lack of) mobility of WWI units really makes for the perfect game pace. The negative thing about CDGs are that the card plays are essential to strategy and that means unless you study the cards and play a few games, you will not know the "optimal" strategy and that can mean a slow introduction to the nitty gritty of the game and maybe some early frustration, but if you persist, you will be deeply rewarded. I like many other CDGs, the ones that come to mind immediately are : Stalin's War, Hearts and Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975, Here I Stand and The Napoleonic Wars. (oddly, not much of a fan of WWII CDGs, for me the scale of this war is too large and its hard to create a believable grand strategy game for this war with CDGs. Too many complicated details are left out, belittling the war experience. The system works better I think with simply battles.)

2) Solo : Ambush! : Excellent solitaire experience, the only weak spot of the system is its relative lack of replay-ability. But if you get all the expansions and Battle Hymn and even the slightly less provoking Open Fire, it should keep you busy a long time to beat them all.

3) World in Flames is my 3rd answer. Its not for everyone, it is a monster in every way. But for WWII grand strategy, it has no peers. Yes, I've played and love Advanced Third Reich, Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg!, World War II: European Theater of Operations, but WiF is my favorite by far. Its a game that I try to get on the table as often as possible. I play this solitaire all the time and its still captures my attention after 30+ full campaign games.

4) The Korean War I can't help but throw this game in too. Can't recommend it enough. Operational game with very interesting supply rules and exceptional narrative and historical simulation qualities. Bring on the Chinese Human Waves!

Just for those OCS crazies out there... I haven't been so deeply poison yet. Just played Burma, Baltic Gap and will give Guderian's Blitzkrieg II a go some time soon. I haven't experienced Case Blue or DAKII or Korea yet. But I like this series so far, its both Operational and Tactical and its very challenging.

I can also recommend the State of Siege series for the real beginner or as a filler wargame (oxymoron?), its a quick bit of fun and there are so many to choose from.

I am also a fan of Atlantic Storm & Pacific Typhoon too, I like the latter better now, but both game are easy and fun to play. Neither are simulations, but a blast to play and easy to teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Congratulations!

My usual questions:
- Ever played any RPG's?
- Have you ever visited the RPG side of the site?
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterpart?
- Looking at you're avatar, are you active on VGG as well?

Have fun this week and may you play many games.

Thanks!

Yes, I've played and enjoy many RPGs. In the pen-and-paper genre; In my younger days I was a D&D and AD&D2ndEd addict. Subscribed to both Dragon and Dungeon magazine for many years and still love pulling them out on occasion for a read. Recently, I dabbled a little in 3.5E also and played a little Pathfinder Module. I haven't tried many other RPG game worlds as yet, but would love to try someday.

As for Computer RPGs.... I grew up with them and dare say I have played every significant Computer RPG ever made. Looking back, my favorites of all times are: Wasteland, Bard's Tale, Old TSR AD&D CRPGs, Dungeon Master, Baldur's Gate Series, Wizardry Series, Elder Scroll Series.

I haven't played many MMORPGs (Its either my wife or MMORPGs and I chose the former!), the only one I've played through to the "end" is Dark Age of Camelot, I had a fiftieth level Archer.... "True Shot" I say!

No, not active on RPGG nor VGG at the moment, may rectify this fault sometime in the future. Just don't play enough Video Games any more, the last game I played was Civilization 4 & 5 and Oblivion. As for RPGG, I am not geek enough for that yet. I like BGG the most because of the crowd that hangs out here, I think boardgames brings out a more mature audience that I find very stimulating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.