Subject: Geek of the Week #308 - Garfink rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Eric! Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raimond
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götalands län
flag msg tools
Northern Lights
badge
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. (Carl Sagan 1934-1996)
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Haben Sie doch tatsachlich unser Periscope gesehen
badge
Our recent triumphs: Dived to evade enemy aircraft. Lost contact. Dived to evade destroyer. Depth charged. The British have stopped making mistakes.
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight Eric!!! thumbsup

Question:

What is your most & least favorite game mechanic and why?

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Evans
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowman wrote:
Congratulations Eric.

Without doubt I think you have one of the most amazing and interesting user profiles on the geek. thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

whac3 wrote:
pete belli wrote:
Congratulations.

thumbsup for the superb avatar.

Frankly I find it annoying and discourteous. If someone wishes to view such images on an appropriate site, that's their business. BGG is not intended as such a site and I don't want to have to deal with pictures of people insufficiently dressed or doing things that ought be kept private just to follow a discussion on a gaming forum.
That's one of the funniest posts I've seen in a while. Let me know if you want me to send you some of the appalling statistics about the harm alcohol causes society Anyway, we are all entitled to our views, take it easy

The Commodore 36 was definitely better than the Amiga 32! Now THAT would've been upsetting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Eric!

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4Having fun?
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Eric?
d10-6What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a RPG in a Star Trek setting?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Perez
United States
Worland
WY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hurrah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/
mb
Garfink wrote:

4) The Korean War I can't help but throw this game in too. Can't recommend it enough. Operational game with very interesting supply rules and exceptional narrative and historical simulation qualities. Bring on the Chinese Human Waves!

Not really a series/family though.

I'm shocked that this was your exception (oh, I love the game),
given earlier statements about Pacific War - in many ways,
you were my inspiration for finally pulling the trigger on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Eric!
have a great week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Eric! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
Pinky: "Gee Brain what are we gonna do tonight ?" Brain: "The same thing we do everynight Pinky. Try to take over the world !"
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations !!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man A Wildcat!
badge
Now when I say, "Who's the master?" You say, "Sho' Nuff!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Eric! Excellent choice, Marco!

I'll ask my typical line of questions:

1 Do you have a preferred war and/or theater to play?

2 Do you have a funny story to share from your gaming?

3 Which game surpassed your expectations the most and which one disappointed you the most?

4 What has been your best bargain acquisition (exaggerated examples: finding a Space Hulk in shrink at a thrift store for a dollar or acquiring Up Front in a trade for Monopoly)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
R'lyeh
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Eric!

I only have two questions, but one's a doozy:

d10-1 Apart from dummying up plays so I could learn a game before teaching it, I've never played a solitaire boardgame. I always assume I'd miss the interaction (a large part of why I play boardgames), and wondered why I'd want to play solitaire when I could play a video game instead. So how about it: As the most experienced solitaire gamer I've ever heard of (holy shit is your collection impressive!), why should someone try it?

d10-2 And which game should they try, assuming you can only recommend one?

Enjoy your week in the spotlight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nnf1 wrote:
Congrats. Have fun this week.

a) What have you brought to Hong Kong from your time in Australia? eg A no worries attitude

b) Were you indoctrinated into the cult of AFL? If so who do you barrack for?

c) What would you recommend as must see places in Oz?

a) Bang on the spot "No worries attitude" is one thing that rubs off on you when you've lived in Australia for 17 years. But its a two edged sword I realize now. It can become a badge of excuse to not make decisions or decisive action; and at the same time help you accept any rough situation and rough it out. Its been a struggle to interpreted the latter and ignore the former.

I have a cousin that has taken this to extremes and his ultra lay back attitude has had the opposite lethargic affect on his life.

b) Yes, hard to avoid it in Melbourne! Don't follow it any more. Essendon Bombers. I was a cricket freak back then though! The Ashes when Steve Waugh hit a triple century was unforgettable.

c) Great Barrier Reef, must see place before you die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalogGamer wrote:
Congratulations!
So...
Can you NOT take the plunge??:
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

Not surprisingly... my internet travels have discovered this already! Looks like a body without a soul... A little too decadent...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
AnalogGamer wrote:
Congratulations!
So...
Can you NOT take the plunge??:
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

Not surprisingly... my internet travels have discovered this already! Looks like a body without a soul... A little too decadent...

You can go forward, but you cannot go back...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Eric!

How is the FTF war game scene in Hong Kong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
Congratulations on your geekdom!
I will say that any lascivious pleasure I may have taken from your avatar is spoiled by memories of trying to get Hunt the Wumpus running on the school PET.

I do have some questions, though:
1) What's the coolest historic site you've visited?
2) What's your best ASL anecdote?
3) What's your best memory of visiting the Himalayas? (I'm fascinated by mountains, but have troubles with heights).

Enjoy your week! Live large!

1) Ankor Wat is pretty hard to beat, its also a little fresh in my mind at the moment. The tranquil forest that hides the temple is simply amazing. It was a little stifling though, no wind gets in and its very hot and humid. This brings back a good memory... I was carrying A LOT of gear and the heat was killing me... and then this woman vendor carrying around her wares sold me a NICE COLD PINEAPPLE... it was better than a cold beer!

2) I went to the dentist for a root canal and instead she taught me ASL.

Yes, you heard right! I had this thing for this hot dentist up the road from where I lived in Kew, Melbourne. I had befriended her over a few months and during this last faithful trip, she invited me over to play... she wouldn't say what! I was verily excited... she said it was rather hard to described... I got to her place and her shelf and figured her to be a boardgame collector. (which I already knew and one of the things we had in common in our lunches and meetings) Then she pull out a plastic box of counters and sat me down and taught me to play ASL! ..... Yes other things happen later, but gentleman don't kiss and tell.

3) The VASTNESS is what I remember the most. unlike other mountain ranges the Himalayas is very isolated and needless to say tall. The air is crystal clear and visibility is unlimited practically. Everything is MUCH bigger than Texas, you haven't seen a valley until you've seen a valley between mountains in the Himalayas. In the spring there are Rhododendron covered hills as far as the eye can see (its not commonly known but Rhododendron and Azaleas, favorite British Garden Variety Plants was originally natural to the Himalayas!) and as you travel a little way down the mountain you reach another geoscape of alpine forests that turn all shades of crimson in the Autumn. You can never forget and will always want to get back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SimGuy wrote:
Inspired choice, Marco. thumbsup

Kindred spirit
CONGRATULATIONS!
to Eric.

Your bio is eerily similar to my own history - you're like a spiritual doppelganger, at least as far as the hobby goes. Monopoly>PanzerBlitz>D&D>C64/Amiga... and on. cool

I heard a philosophical theory once that stated that there are only so many lives for us to live (so many paths for us to take), and many people are living the same lives, just at different times and places. With 6 billion+ people in the world, there would be a lot of 'us' wandering around these days.

I don't hold with the theory, but statistics imply that as the population gets larger, more people would tend to lead similar lives. In a relatively tiny population like BGG members, the concentration of like-minded/experienced individuals would seem to be higher and indeed I've read a number of profiles that are similar to mine and many others. whistle

Where do you fall on this? Or is this just borderline creepy?

I've always wanted to meet and marry someone like you then... do you look anything like my avatar?

Yes I have noticed having lived in two vastly different cultures, there are remarkable resemblances between the people you meet. Both physical and experiences. I have seen Westerners with 'twins' in Hong Kong. It goes to show that we are really all related and family. When we realize this... the world would be a better place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:
Congratulations Eric.

What is your favourite thing/object/place to photograph?

Stig Morten

My favorite subject for photography is landscapes. Landscapes of all sorts. No matter what cameras you use, be it a humble DSLR or a Large format Ebony, it takes meticulous attention to detail to create a good piece of work. The experience isn't about the press of the shutter release, it starts from planning your trip, planning the time of day you want to be at your location, how to get there prior to this time, and what equipment you want to bring. Often its a remote spot and hard to get to and getting there is half the challenge. Sometimes its a popular tourist spot and you have to get there early to beat the pressing crowd. There are lots of variables.

I love China, my knowledge of Australian geography is very good but I am ashamed of my little Chinese experiences. Yes its the backdoor from Hong Kong but you'll be surprise how hard it is to travel around China! You can't rent a car because you can't drive and it means its hard to arrange transport (to remote photographic places at odd hours) without it costing an arm and two legs. And it is a BIG place! But I love China and I feel an urgency as the natural environment there is disappearing rapidly due to the encroachment of man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight Eric!!! thumbsup

Question:

What is your most & least favorite game mechanic and why?

meeple

I like cards. That will turn some wargaming heads. I don't mean just CDGs, I like living card games, arkham horror or even talisman... have cards will play. I like hidden (fog of war/whatever) that cards bring to the table and if done well, it really make for a great game. There is a reason why regular playing cards are so popular all around the world.

I don't like Buckets of dice. I understand that the more dice there is the LESS random the game will be over time. Still... it feels like things are out your control. Not surprsingly I love Napoleon's Triumph & Go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Congrats Eric!

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4Having fun?
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Eric?
d10-6What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a RPG in a Star Trek setting?

Enjoy your week!

1) I don't think I have one specifically for boardgames... but my favorite color us green which in Zen represents: Balance, Vigor, Harmony, Youth, Action.

2) I live in Monsoon Hong Kong: There is really only wet and dry... But we do have a short Spring here and there is a marsh area here in Hong Kong call Mai Po, it is one of the world's premier bird watching area with the greatest number migratory birds during Early Spring as these birds escape the cold winters up north. Its an amazing sight.

3) I play the xylophone or glockenspiel. Strangely I have studied music theory up to grade 6. During high-school I was forced to pick music as a subject as it was the only subject that fit my timetable of other subjects. It was a good experience, as I think the understanding of the theory really have help me understand and appreciate (& even critique) the day-to-day stuff I listen to and help me communicate about music.

4) Absolutely. Life = Fun

5) I like Jean Reno

6) Cruel question... I am on a low carb diet at the moment... but my favorite snack is the good o' AUSSIE MEAT PIE (four & twenty.)

7) Friday, its a day I have off and its a weekday where I have the whole day to myself to do whatever I want.

8) After dinner: 10pm - 3am. Its my most awake time of day.

9) Data.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Garfink wrote:

4) The Korean War I can't help but throw this game in too. Can't recommend it enough. Operational game with very interesting supply rules and exceptional narrative and historical simulation qualities. Bring on the Chinese Human Waves!

Not really a series/family though.

I'm shocked that this was your exception (oh, I love the game),
given earlier statements about Pacific War - in many ways,
you were my inspiration for finally pulling the trigger on it.

Don't let me stop you!!!! After my experience with Dai Senso with its cards (as much as I like cards), I really like the simple elegance of the mechanics in Pacific War.

The other game I liked a lot and similar to The Korean War is another game from Victory Games called Vietnam 1965-1975, also a similarly brilliant game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
Congrats, Eric! Excellent choice, Marco!

I'll ask my typical line of questions:

1 Do you have a preferred war and/or theater to play?

2 Do you have a funny story to share from your gaming?

3 Which game surpassed your expectations the most and which one disappointed you the most?

4 What has been your best bargain acquisition (exaggerated examples: finding a Space Hulk in shrink at a thrift store for a dollar or acquiring Up Front in a trade for Monopoly)?

1) Living most of my life around the Pacific Rim, and hearing all the stories first hand of Japanese Aggression from family and friends, its hard not to be most interested in the Pacific Theater. My second is North Africa Campaigns... not just Rommel, but also Carthage and Napoleon too.

2) See my ASL story above! The best moments in gaming for me has always been those NAIL biter games where everything culminates in a last turn of a game. Pursuit of Glory where after 5 hours of grueling play... it all came down to the last few turns as masses, I mean TONS of Axis Units piled up south of Aleppo, it was held only by a small contingent of Allied units strategically stack with a couple of weak replacements behind the line.... there were plenty of turns left for a decisive breakout into Turkey... YOU WOULDN'T believe the frustration in my friend's face as POOR ROLL, after POOR ROLL, held up his armies!! I swear he was going to flip the board and ram his head into my dice tower. And then the Resignation on the last turn was a classic!

3) Steering away from the obvious "OCS" answer. I was pleasurably surprised by the Au fil de l’ Epée and Jours de Gloire series of games. Excellent gameplay, wargame artwork that is on another level compared to American wargame publishers and very interesting little played battles. Quick and fun. Also John Hill's D-Day at Omaha Beach is a thing of amazement and joy, can't wait till other games in this system is introduced. I really haven't been seriously dissapointed with many wargames I've purchased, I guess The Hell of Stalingrad & The Fires of Midway wasn't what I expected, more like a fiddly Euro than a wargame, but forgivable once you get over that fact.

4) I got Civilization, Advanced Civilization and Civilization Western Extension Map in a trade for LUNCH (that costed US$7.00). Not bad huh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Ralya wrote:
Congratulations, Eric!

I only have two questions, but one's a doozy:

d10-1 Apart from dummying up plays so I could learn a game before teaching it, I've never played a solitaire boardgame. I always assume I'd miss the interaction (a large part of why I play boardgames), and wondered why I'd want to play solitaire when I could play a video game instead. So how about it: As the most experienced solitaire gamer I've ever heard of (holy shit is your collection impressive!), why should someone try it?

d10-2 And which game should they try, assuming you can only recommend one?

Enjoy your week in the spotlight!

1) I think it takes a certain player to like solitaire, its really not for everyone. I agree also that F2F is ever so much more fun. So if you've plenty of boardgame partners, its understandable your lack of solitaire play.

Even so, Solitaire games often have game mechanics of its own, necessary to give you a challenge and these mechanics are often unique to solitaire games. This often makes solitaire game rules more complicated, but hey, I like complicated. I love exploring these mechanisms, and you'll be surprised at the variety. From: Peloponnesian War with its ingenious switch sides during play with its goal of shortening a bloody war, to D-Day at Omaha Beach with its color coded enemy fire hexes, to Struggle for the Galactic Empire with its mega random chit draw mechanism... its all very interesting to explore, especially when multiplayer isn't an option because you are by yourself.

This interest in game mechanisms is also a reason why some people enjoy reading game rules as much as playing the game. Its always very refreshing to read about a clever mechanic.

As for computer games in comparison... the same arguments for multiplayer boardgames & LAN computer games apply. Its a totally different experience, moving cardboard around on a table, throwing physical dice, having to use your imagination... totally different... take it from someone that love computer games too.

2) Raid on St. Nazaire is brilliant, historical, challenging, the AI almost feels like human!, amazing narrative, tactical. Its one of the best solitaire games ever made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mummykitty wrote:
Congrats, Eric!

How is the FTF war game scene in Hong Kong?

Its spreading like a disease on the Designer boardgame front! Not quite as popular as handheld gaming yet! But there are cafes and clubs popping up all over the place. Still not mainstream, but is it anywhere else? Its no problems to find partners here.

As for Wargames, a niche within a niche, its a little harder, there isn't as many wargamers around and most wargamers are of a greater age and with age comes less time and more pressing commitments, so its harder to organize games at home. BUT there is a thriving wargamer club that convene every 2 weeks that has been around for over 30 years in one form or another. You can meet many like minded wargamers, ASL'ers, miniatures guys, designer boardgamers there too. Like the infamous & mysterious boardgame commenter:
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.