Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In some things, this PBEM game we just finished has been an extraordinary one. So I'll post a report of it before I forget all the details. Hope I get the important facts together. Since it is holiday time, this one took a little longer to finish than usual.

Khorne: James
Nurgle: Julien
Tzeentch: Laco
Slaanesh: Me
HornedRat: Andrew

Events:
1) Franzs Decree
2) Morrslieb Eclipsed
3) Witch Hunters
4) Closing the Portal
5) Norse Reavers
6) Dwarf Trollslayers

Headstart for the Old World ! We skip one whole turn and then start with Morrslieb Eclipsed, which says sacrifice two of your figures from the board or dont be allowed to play cards. Well, since noone can actually have figures on the board in the first turn, there is none to give, so no cards to play. Especially harsh on Tzeentch since that means he cannot tick at all !

Khorne starts in Bretonnia, Nurgle sticks to populous regions in the center, Tzeentch joins Slaanesh in Norsca where a noble is located. HornedRat starts in Kislev, maintaining options on both present Skavens. Ultimately, as Tzeentch and Slaanesh keep on adding cultists to Norsca unmolested, we could ruin that region Turn 1 right away. I have seen this happen several times already with the expansion. I eventually decide against that since we would only share the VP and it would bury one of two precious noble tokens. Khorne, Nurgle and Slaanesh tick once, Tzeentch and the Rat not at all. It seems the Horned One has different plans, Tzeentch lacking options.

Next turn, everbody decides to sacrifice figures for the ability to play cards. Costly for some, Khorne has to give a warrior. Witch Hunters keep Morrslieb Eclipsed around and add some additional DAC options for Slaanesh. Handicapped to 4 cultists, everbody has his share of limitations. By Corrupt from Within, I evacuate the noble of Norsca to Troll Country. Khorne suffers from a BoltOfChange in Kislev. Which he answers by walking warriors up further north in an effort to smoke out corruptive cells. With all available cultist in favorable locations already, Nurgle stacks some warriors to BorderPrinces, while the Rat extends his claims of southern regions to worthwhile Estalia. Khorne ignores all that and tries to get a foothold in the north. I try to balance my effort between taking part in Norsca ruination for 2nd place, leaving 1st to Tzeentch and working on gaining something out of Troll Country. Pleasure Shield in TC makes sure I get my tick and domination. With adjacency granted by Glean, others chime in at Norsca as well. Trying to prevent ruination or at least get their share as well. With abysmal dice results, Norsca collapses and plans work out as expected. The Rat catches up on the dial by a double tick. Everybody else ticks once. Upgrades: vengeance, KeeperOfSecrets and RatOgre are picked.

With Closing the Portal, Morrslieb Eclipsed is finally gone, so we dont need to sacrifice figures anymore. However, card draw abilities are now limited to 1 per turn ! What an awful combo for Tzeentch in particular. I hate that as well, because I've been running out of useful cards. Not a single FestivalOfSinew or the other shiny stuff. Most cards are situational. I could not find much help in my deck for the situation at hand. Nurgle unfolds a vicious and clever plan. With 3 warriors added to BorderPrinces from previous turn, he manages to get down 2xCreepingDeath to BP. Splendid play ! As he dominates, he'll place 2 corruption to EVERY adjacent region. Which are quite a few. Even more, he plays VirulentOutbreak to Badlands, to make that worth a DAC as well. With his cultists out also, he is looking at a handful of DACs or more. Khorne tries to counter with a Rampage or another. He also baths in Blood in TC for 3 corruption, extending his ruination claims without really pushing it hard. Nurgle takes the double tick this turn, everybody else once. This turn marks the lowest point of my game. Tzeentch and Khorne heavily infiltrate TC, driving me out. I have to spend alot of points for going south. I add a cultist here and there I have to spread instead of focussing. Others realize that and ask me what the hell I do ?! Not sure by myself. But I know I have to scatter this very moment, keep a low profile and wait for a chance to come up to focus on. The best to do is spread and open possible options. So I dont do much at all this turn but I somehow manage a tick and taking part in Tilea ruination which Tzeentch and Nurgle share. Also the Rat collects quite a few points by dominations. VP: 11/24/27/16/25 I'm in bad shape. Dont know what to do, add my dial noble rewards to Estalia+Bretonnia. Nurgle takes the cultist upgrade for more corruption, Tzeentch takes Well of Power to counter Closing the Portal.

Norse Reavers adds some peasants. The Rat plays a Skaven to Bretonnia. Now there is exactly one OW token of each type present as I notice We're taking shots and celebrate. Nurgle manages to roll three 1's of three dice on BorderPrinces after he adds yet another Creeping Death. Next ruination target: The Empire. I abandon my effort in Estalia. Khorne tried to corrupt TC and Kislev without really pushing one. The Tzeentch demon in TC does the rest to keep me out of that and abandon my claim of 4 corruption as well. I manage to put a PleasureShield to the Empire, stack cultists and get to run away with 2nd place after Nurgle taking 1st. Tzeentch is stuck with just 1 card, not allowed to replenish his hand, he spends 1 power to draw another one. He doesnt do much this turn. Khorne tries with bathing in Blood again, he adds some corruption, also to Bretonnia. In the Empire it doesnt gain him a thing, he adds corruption but no score and no taking part bonus. VP: 14/41/29/30/35. Khorne finally gets a double tick, takes the Bloodthirster Upgrade. All others but Tzeentch tick once. Not his turn. Council of Thirteen is picked, as well as the Great Unclean One and I take Rise to Glory. My KeeperOfSecrets not used yet at all, I figure that upgrade was a bad choice. Just had other things to do actually.

Dwarf Trollslayers finally pushes off Closing the Portal. Drawing two cards again, I get 2xFestivalOfSinew, finally ! 3 regions already ruined (Norsca, Empire, Tilea) we go into another turn. Nurgle puts his upgraded GUO to Bretonnia where 8 corruption are present, looking to score that region for what he needs to win. Tzeentch convocates 3 more cultist to TC, looking to score that one with 10 corruption present. I squeeze in FestivalOfSinew to TC. With 3 Khorne corruption and 4 of my own, Tzeentch will run away with 1st place. But I might well score 2nd without adding anything. If someone else tries to steal that, I get power points at least. Another turn done, only Tzeentch played a WarpPortal to Kislev, which surprises me, since there is also 8 corruption present in Kislev and it might well be the last ruination to score. So I play my other FestivalOfSinew to Kislev and destiny smiles upon me. Now everybody starts realizing whats going on and keeps adding figures to Kislev like no tomorrow. I bite my ass for not having taken the warrior upgrade cry

The Rat plays it clever and adds his demon first then a warrior. Khorne demon goes to Bretonnia for free. The Rat also has 8 power this turn, due to a WarpTokenCache saved since turn 2 or so. I keep doing just something until finally everybody is out of power, Tzeentch tries to delay with cards of 0 as best as he can. I temporarily hit 12 power and have 10 left before all are down to 0. So I finally put my demon to BorderPrinces, where still 3 Nurgle warriors are located and a Khorne one. No card played there so far. The turns that limited draw abilities left its mark to card reserves. With another noble and peasant present, I play 2xRapturousExcess for 2x5VP to put me on 40VP right away. I add 4 cultists to Badlands, where no other warrior is present, just 2 rats and play JoyousSurrender, placing all 4 cultists on the card. I also got 2 cultists and 1 warrior in Kislev.

Khorne rolls 2 hits in Kislev, killing both my cultists right away. Nurgle put 2 warriors, rolls 1 hit and kills a Tzeentch one. I roll a single die and get 2 hits, killing 2 more Tzeentch cultists, so Kislev is not going to be ruined despite all the effort Nurgle rolls 3 hits in Bretonnia, adding 3 corruption by the upgraded GUO, but gets both his cultists killed by Khorne, resulting in a total of 11 corruption, no ruination either. Both Khorne and Nurgle get 2 hits of their dice in BorderPrinces, not enough to kill my Demon, so I dominate for 5 and 5 by Badlands with my cultists in Joy. Plus the 4VP for 2nd place in TC thats 54VP in total. Tzeentch can manage 47, Nurgle and the Rat got stuck and Khorne too far away despite 2 more dominations.

So I win as Slaanesh by VP in this wild game. I got VERY lucky here, my dice averge being an abysmal 2.57 but I got 2 hits out of 1 die when it mattered. Not even sure if a Kislev ruination had made another winner, since Khorne would have been on 1st place and the Rat on 2nd, both some space to go up to my 54VP but it very certainly could have gone another way that last turn. Epic match ! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khorne needed to stop one of the ruinations to win the game the turn after, but instead spent his PP and Bloodthirster summon hitting me in the South, so I was forced to stop the Kislev ruination myself. Unfortunately everyone got excited and gave Joel way too many PP.
shake

On the plus side, I now have seen Joyous Surrender used well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So many pp can definatly wreak some havoc if you got the cards and options. Probably a reason why usually folks stay away from the Festival cards. When you get lucky to squeeze them into regions that are the only ones left to score, there are not much options left but add figures anyways.

Also funny you say you wanted to STOPP the Kislev ruination. I wanted that as well once everybody chimed in. Nurgle also just added warriors. Looked to me as you wanted to score 2nd place with your figures. So I now wonder who wanted Kislev to score actually

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Vermin Lord in Kislev gave me a bet each way but I primarily wanted to deter other players from giving you PP, for reasons that soon became clear. If I had another Rat in there sooner I would have played Verminous Horde to shut down the party.

My major play was Skitterleap from Estalia into Bretonnia, but neither Nurgle nor I had defensive cards, and the Bloodthirster didn't help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see, makes sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farrel Foster
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great report, love learning from other people's plans and reactions

What's your take on the expert-level Old World cards, are they fun, or do they cripple players too much?
Tzeentch certainly seemed to be on the back foot from the start in your report, though made a good showing despite that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni L
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Farrel76 wrote:
Great report, love learning from other people's plans and reactions

What's your take on the expert-level Old World cards, are they fun, or do they cripple players too much?
Tzeentch certainly seemed to be on the back foot from the start in your report, though made a good showing despite that.

Ditto for the first sentence. What I liked even more than Umbratus' report is his and fateswanderer's discussion afterwards. Bring on the good stuff, guys! laugh

About expert-level OW cards, there already exists a discussion concerning those. Check out this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/677252/breakdown-of-the-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Farrel76 wrote:

They're meant to cripple the players and mess up their plans! And given that I haven't seen an Old World victory yet, I'd say they don't hurt enough!

Most of the time they're fine - they just make you alter your approach.

I suspect some of the complaints come from being new to the Morrsleib set and feeling "held back" from trying out the new cards. When you've played several times you don't mind game-changing effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.