Rune Age» Forums » Reviews

Subject: StormGate Reviews: Rune Age rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, and welcome to the next entry in a series of reviews, collectively called StormGate Reviews. These reviews will not concentrate on the specifics of how the games work, but rather a brief overview of the main mechanics, how people who play the games receive and enjoy them, how they look, and lastly, my own thoughts. Any edits are to fix grammatical or spelling errors. To see other reviews in the series, Click Here!

Intro:

Rune Age, the latest game set in the Terrinoth universe (which includes games like Rune Wars, Runebound, Dungeonquest, Runey Runey, Descent into Runeness, The Runes II: Electric Boogaloo, Potent Potables, The Runification of Sir Runeforth, and about 6 dozen more), takes on yet another new genre of game. This time, it's a deck-building game.

How It Looks and What's In The Box:

The first thing that you notice about the box is that it's smaller than your usual Fantasy Flight game. It is smaller than their square-box games, such as Arkham Horror. This is because it is among the Silver Line series offered by Fantasy Flight, which are generally less expensive games with little-to-no plastic. There is a bunch of cardboard tokens that you punch out, which are used to represent damage, and a custom 6 sided die. The cards came in ziplock bags, which is a welcome change compared to vaccuum sealed plastic that most games cards arrive in. The box is quite large for what is contained within, and there is a lot of room inside to store what are bound to be multiple expansions.

Suprise! The cards are in ziplock bags!

Cart art is what you'd expect in a game coming from Fantasy Flight - very well done. I've always liked the art style in the Terrinoth universe, and this is no exception. Also included is a sheet of paper outlining some errors in the rule book.

How it plays: 45 to 60 minutes, including teaching the game.

Once you learn how to play the game, teaching it is quite easy. After all, it's a deckbuilding game at heart. The rulebook outlines what you do in each phase, and how to accomplish tasks in the game, such as purchasing or fighting. Our group found it difficult to follow how fighting works - specfically how and when one assigns damage - but once we figured it out, it wasn't difficult at all. The rulebook could be clearer, and with more examples, in this regard.

To begin, each player takes the cards representing one faction in the game - the same 4 factions that are in Rune Wars. Each faction has 5 types of cards which are sorted into their respective piles, and these are the base cards that you can purchase for your deck. There are neutral cards which are available for everyone to purchase, and there are cities which can be conquered using your army cards. You can also attack players directly, and deal damage to their home fortress. 20 points of damage and they're out of the game.

Depending on which scenario you are playing, you could be playing a competitive game where everyone is trying to achieve a specific goal, or you could be working co-operatively, or it could be a simple last-man-standing style of game. There are rules for randomly setting up the neutral cards, which adds to replayabilty.

The top card, the Chaos Lord, costs 5 gold, and has an attack strength of 4.

There are 3 resources in the game that are used to aquire cards. Gold is used primarily to purchase unit cards. Unit cards give you attack strength, and you use attack strength to aquire cities/attack opponents. The cities go into your play area, rather than your deck, and can be used once per turn to give you influence, which is used to purchase the (powerful) neutral cards and gold. Influence can also be spent to keep cards in your hand until the next turn.

Attacking other players is a back and forth affair, with each player playing 1 card at a time in an effort to outdo your opponent. Attacking something (such as an event card) not owned by another player usually involves rolling the die to see how many losses you suffer.

The Die, on top of some unpunched Wound markers

After each player has taken a turn, a card is revealed from an event deck, which are scenario specific, and its actions are carried out.

How it was received:

I played this game several times with my usual gaming group, and we enjoyed it quite a bit. It took a game to figure out how things work together, and how to defend against your opponent. I've tried 2 players and 4 players, and it seems to work pretty well in either case. The 4 different armies all have special powers, but none of them seem to be too strong or too weak.

Everyone was of the opinion that the game is ripe for expansions. New factions, new neutral cards, more co-op variations, and multi-faction decks, were just some of the ideas brought up after just a few plays.

One thing that everyone loved is that you draw up to your hand size limit at the end of every players turn, so that you're never stuck without cards to defend yourself with. It's a subtle change from other deckbuilding games, and one that makes for a very unique dynamic - one that is far, far more action oriented than other games.

My thoughts:

I really like this game. Really really like this game. It has shot to the top of my list for favourite card games. If the quirks of the manual can be ironed out for a second printing, it will probably be in my top 5 list of favourite games. I prefer the co-operative and player elimination variants, which is unusual for me, as I'm not usually a fan of games that can knock a player out. It plays quick enough that it doesn't really matter though, and usually when someone is about to be knocked out of the game, that signals the game will be over within minutes. It's a fast, cut-throat action game with a ton of player interraction, exactly what I like in a game. There is even a solo variant for those who like to "beat the game."

Bottom line:

If you like deck building games, but wish there was more player interraction, this game is for you. I would definately recommend picking it up if you are a fan of games that play fast and furious.

Score: 9.3/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Benton
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Glad to see a positive review. I'm a huge fan of Dominion, and I liked this one enough to pick it up after the demo. So far we only played the last man standing scenario (and that with a few major rules errors) but I am pretty sure that this game has a ton of potential.

I like that the different scenarios offer something for basically every possible gamer all the way across the confrontational spectrum. The game play is smooth and intuitive and I'm really looking forward to trying out the other scenarios.

I really hope the game does well enough to have expansions, because if the base game is this good, expansions will only make it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's some variety in the main box, but it needs expansions badly. I agree with the poster here that expansions would be great, as almost every dimension of the game would enjoy expansions.

An expansion with just a couple new armies and a couple new scenarios would do wonders for replayability. I'd buy two or three different expansions along these lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Review
Thank you for the excellent review, which didn't turn into a pure explanation of the rules and a rundown of the first ten games. Accept my humble single

Only problem is that now I want to play The Runes II: Electric Boogaloo and The Runification of Sir Runeforth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pell Bort
Canada
flag msg tools
Technically correct is the BEST kind of correct.
badge
I'm a little lad who loves berries and cream.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just did a blind buy of this game (as I'm on a bit of a deckbuilding jag), and looking forward to playing it now that I've read your enthusiastic words. Right after I play one more game of Quarriors.

Maybe one or two more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
Trumpy, you can do stupid things!
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
There's some variety in the main box, but it needs expansions badly. I agree with the poster here that expansions would be great, as almost every dimension of the game would enjoy expansions.

An expansion with just a couple new armies and a couple new scenarios would do wonders for replayability. I'd buy two or three different expansions along these lines.

Right now I view the game as filler; both in scope and play time. I don't see that as a bad thing but this game will really be a five-course meal with an expansion or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
msg tools
I've heard comments that it doesn't build much of an engine, the way Dominion would. How would it compare to something like Thunderstone, which to me doesn't feel like much of an engine-building game, as you have to keep adjusting to the shifting monster types appearing.

What's FFG's usual timeline for adding (non-LCG) expansions after initial release?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
An expansion with just a couple new armies and a couple new scenarios would do wonders for replayability.

Don't hold your breath. FFG seem to be sticking with the four basic races throughout their Terrinoth games. But it definitely does need more scenarios.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Benton
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Regarding engine building in Rune Age: Some races are better at that than others. Some of them feel way more tactical than others to me, but I like the variety. You're probably not going to find anywhere near the level of engine building in Rune Age as is found in Dominion, but likely more than Thunderstone (I've only played the base game of Thunderstone, mind you).

And the ease with which some of the races build engines is almost instantaneous, as opposed to Dominion. Probably due to its more open turn structure?

I still vastly prefer the tactical choices found here to something like Ascension. Way more going on in Rune Age without becoming cluttered or overwhelming. I think with expansions, it should stay fresh.

It's really hard to compare a new game like this to something like Dominion or Thunderstone which have had their base experiences improved so greatly by expansions. As a base set, I think this one stacks up pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stewart
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregaria wrote:
Thank you for the excellent review, which didn't turn into a pure explanation of the rules and a rundown of the first ten games. Accept my humble single

Only problem is that now I want to play The Runes II: Electric Boogaloo and The Runification of Sir Runeforth

The Runes II was a letdown. The boogaloo was very underused, and hardly electric at all.

Runification, I can take it or leave it. On one hand, each runification card adds a new power to the runerats, but once you get your runerat to the megazordrat level, it becomes too easy.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of this as far more of an action oriented game than a deck builder. Not a bad thing, and it has a fun deck building aspect. But it's not so much about building combos and designing a deck that plays itself as adjusting your deck and playing it well. It's a bridge between deck building and a traditional card game, and I think it works beautifully.

One comment I have is that I feel the game is pretty solid as it is. While expansions would be nice, I think it's a shame that we can't enjoy anything for what it is and instead tend to begin waiting for expansions to games. It's like the way we've been conditioned to expect sequels. Nothing terrible about that, but we tend to stop viewing games as complete works and as a continuing string of products.

Rune Age could never be anything else than is in the box and it's still a very solid game from my perspective. And I particularly love that it feels more active, more like a war game in card game format, than a traditional deck building game.

Bottom line: I really, really like it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregaria wrote:

Thank you sir, I'll be sure to add them to the review queue. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TyrionXavier wrote:
Bottom line:

If you like deck building games, but wish there was more player interraction, this game is for you. I would definately recommend picking it up if you are a fan of games that play fast and furious.

That says it all for me. I got this game and love it.

I did not, nor do I now, like Dominion. I felt like there was no reason for the other players to be there, and I was bored building my "engine" for nothing other than just colecting points.

Then I played Thunderstone. It was fun although player interaction was still minimal I felt like I was building my deck to do something, attacking the dungeon, not just earning points.

Then I played Nightfall. Directly attacking other players. Woohoo!! Only problem I have with that game is taht by the time you are able to do anything, the game ends.

Now this game. All out war against other players. and different factions to boot. Plus the game scenarios cater to all types of game play. 1) Beat the Big bad evil guy, 2) Last man standing, 3) Race to build a monument with no attacking players homeland, or 4) cooperative play against the game (with an optional card that allows a player to attempt to destroy another late ion the game to steal a personal victory)

This game rules. I was hesitant to try another deckbuilder. But I am glad I did, as this one is definitely my favorite.

-One Wolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion: Groundbreaking, fun at the time, but lost interest.

Thunderstone: meh.

Ascension: I REALLY like Ascension.

Quarriors: Loved my first 2 games, but then it started to go downhill. Can't figure out why, just kinda stalls, not the right conflict.

Resident Evil: Terrible

Nightfall: Never played

Rune Age: My favorite by a landslide. This is the Ameritrasher's Deck Building game. Excitement. Adventure. Races. Building from your OWN deck. Variants. Just....just...awesome. Completely agree with the OP, great review by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one thing that really shines, even when playing the single player variants, the goal may be the same, but the different races play very differently. That gives it a nice mixup. Then you can later change out the neutral cards to vary it more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:
Dominion: Groundbreaking, fun at the time, but lost interest.

Thunderstone: meh.

Ascension: I REALLY like Ascension.

Quarriors: Loved my first 2 games, but then it started to go downhill. Can't figure out why, just kinda stalls, not the right conflict.

Resident Evil: Terrible

Nightfall: Never played

Rune Age: My favorite by a landslide. This is the Ameritrasher's Deck Building game. Excitement. Adventure. Races. Building from your OWN deck. Variants. Just....just...awesome. Completely agree with the OP, great review by the way.

Do yourself a favor and try Nightfall.

This game looks good, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Nightfall uninteresting. Possibly because I found the theme and the gameplay to be completely unrelated. It could just as easily be a color matching deck building game.

Rune Age has that interactive feel that Nightfall is going for, but with a better connection to the theme. So I wouldn't call Nightfall a bad game, but it just didn't do anything for me, where Rune Age immediately seized me.

Just a quickie opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
One comment I have is that I feel the game is pretty solid as it is. While expansions would be nice, I think it's a shame that we can't enjoy anything for what it is and instead tend to begin waiting for expansions to games. It's like the way we've been conditioned to expect sequels. Nothing terrible about that, but we tend to stop viewing games as complete works and as a continuing string of products.

I'd aak whose fault that is? I'd suggest it's the game designers and publisher's fault since they plan the releases, many times holding back on good ideas they could have baked in but choose not to, in order to sell expansions later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike toober
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
All other reviews label Rune Age as a faction fighting game with minimal deck building tacked on. They say for each scenario, if you buy all the cards you are able to, your deck will be the exact same EVERY TIME. That is not considered a deck building game at all. If people are already WANTING an expansion for this, then they are not satisfied with what came in the main box. Nightfall is great and while it seems to end right when it gets going is because it gets going exponentially with more and better chains, but then half of the metagame strategy is avoiding being ganged up on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
I found Nightfall uninteresting. Possibly because I found the theme and the gameplay to be completely unrelated. It could just as easily be a color matching deck building game.

The theme is weak, but I do think its mechanics allow for a lot of interesting interaction, and with Martial Law, you do have cards that trigger off whether a card is a vampire, etc.

I wanted to like Rune Age (and maybe I will, it's certainly pretty enough), but then they had to reveal that their deck-building game was going to have very limited deck building options - oh, people say it's not a deck building game, but then why do you build a deck!? I'm sure expansions will fix the issue, but IMO they should've themed the game around forming a mercenary company, or something to allow people to buy a great diversity of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueJackal wrote:
IMO they should've themed the game around forming a mercenary company, or something to allow people to buy a great diversity of cards.

But those games already exist. This is a very typical response to a new game with similar mechanics to an old game. That is, the old game was X so this game should be more like X but with something new.

I humbly disagree. This game is much more about the interaction between players and not about building your unique "engine." That being said, each faction does have a unique set of cards and there are different strategies within those factions. Plus the different scenarios have different neutral cards, and you have the option of changing those neutral cards to change it up a bit, if you'd like. Also you have different cities each time you play, and you will have to fight over control of those cities.

As I said before, I don't like Dominion, but I love this game. Why? Because although they are both "deckbuilding" games, they are vastly different.

-One Wolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balint Weisz
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only disappointment about the game so far (after reading the rules online), that there seems to be little variety. There are four scenarios, with four different winning conditions, which is awesome, but for each scenario the set of cards used is fixed. I mean, WFT, FFG? Dominion shows you how easy it is to create a deckbuilding game with a ridiculously high replayability (simply by providing 25 different deck, out of which you only use 10 in each game), and you choose to disregard it and create a game with fixed set of cards?

I think they got a bit greedy there, because if you like Dominion, you can play it a thousand times before you feel the need for an expansion, while if you like Rune Age, you will be crying for an expansion after playing each scenario a couple of times...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
msg tools
I think if I'd played Dominion more than a handful of times, I would have felt that an expansion is needed. There's more to replayability than the different possible combinations.

Thunderstone probably needed an expansion moreso, but I bought Dragonspire and felt that I needed an expansion fairly quickly, because some of the monster types don't really add a different feel, and the same can be said for some of the heroes etc.

Honestly, I enjoy playing Thunderstone solo(almost exclusively), but it's not terribly great, and I'd be happy if this game was as interesting.
Is the lack of player interaction in a solo game going to leave this game too bland? Will different sets of neutral cards for one scenario really change the strategy while still being possible to win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Russell
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Bullshit!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion was at least 20$ more and that was 2 or so years ago. Runeage needs an expansion almost right away. But then again so did Dominion. The base game is very, very straight forward and the silver strategy comes up pretty quick.

All the DBG's I've played need some expansion right away but Rune Age was the cheapest. Imagine that.. from FFG? In all cases I think your not really seeing the whole game until you get the expansion.

I'm really enjoying the base game of Rune Age so far. I can tell it needs more but that's ok. I only know that because I have so much more in the DBG department at home and was planning on buying an expansion anyway.

In other words. I don't think it's valid compliant at this point, also, Rune Age is an incredible deal for 28.99$!

I love it so far, it feels about as meaty as other base DBG's and it is the cheapest of them all. Price needs to be remembered and accounted for. I have Quarriors showing up soon and it was 21$ bucks more. Rune Age is cheap.

Oh Yeah.. nice review too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One_Wolf wrote:
BlueJackal wrote:
IMO they should've themed the game around forming a mercenary company, or something to allow people to buy a great diversity of cards.

I humbly disagree. This game is much more about the interaction between players and not about building your unique "engine."

But my point is that you could have both great player interaction AND interesting deck-building. I don't think adding more deck-building options would've prevented Rune Age from having lots of player interaction. Would it make the game longer as people consider what to buy? Probably, but that's a worthwhile trade, IMO, especially as it would increase replayability and the strategic decision making within the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.