Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
Why does the rulebook insist you place the mission chips as listed, and why do the influence cards need to be discarded in the middle, and why are the crown chips split into 2 piles, and whats the point of having general supply markers inbetween the person tiles.

Isn't it all a bit of a nonsense? Why can't it all be to one side, easily accessible. Frankly it's a pain in the ass getting the influence cards from in the middle of the "board", but I just wanted to double check that I'd not skipped over some vital rule that requires these very precise locations for things. It reminds me of Delia Smiths cookery programs where she seems to put very high importance on some details that just seem totally irrelevant.

parumph!

Two piles of crown tiles for players on different sides of the "board", it is more convenient for them.

The most convenient place for your general supply markers is between you and the board.

The rest of it is because it at the Royal Court and you are not the king, so get over it or go play with the peasants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
ldsdbomber wrote:
Why does the rulebook insist you place the mission chips as listed, and why do the influence cards need to be discarded in the middle, and why are the crown chips split into 2 piles, and whats the point of having general supply markers inbetween the person tiles.

Where you put the blue and green cards is of little consequence, but I've found the ordering suggested by the rulebook helps immensely in quickly scanning what every noble gives out. Look at the crown piles for example: they are located next to the only two nobles who reward these (apart from Louis, of course). The same goes for all the other chips. As for influence tokens: it helps in judging when someone will have to play a card just to get influence back. Otherwise you need three or four separate glances. And since it is all in the middle of the table, it's all easily accessible to everyone.

Trust me, there is a subtle logic to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
but its not worded that way, it specifically says put these chips in this specific spot between number X and Y. And we sit on two sides rather than opposite etc, I just found it odd that it was so specific, when, clearly you should just put stuff where it's easy to access. But that's kind of obvious since what else are you going to do?

People would complain if the rules didn't state where to place things - even when it's obvious!

Also. If the large gameboard hadn't been reduced to tiles - for sake of saving money as well as the ability of changing sides on the individual tiles - the components would have been kept on the gameboard in exactly those locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.