Popular Tags: [View All]
Benny Sperling
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Modern Art the Card Game is not unlike going to the track and betting on a group of horses to place. You cheer for ten as they come down the home stretch and then your horse comes up just short of the line passed by another horse who you didn't bet on.

The players are art dealers assembling galleries and hoping to collect the most points by showcasing the three most popular artists. Unlike it's parent, MAtCG is a quick filler lasting about a half hour. There is no bidding, but certain cards will add more works to your gallery, cards to your hand, or allow everyone to add a work to their gallery. Each round players play works to their gallery by one of 5 artists placing one work a turn. Once the 6th card (5 in 2 player) is placed by the same artist collectively by the group the round ends and players score points for having art by the top three artists in popularity.

Our game was a demo as I was the only player with experience, I felt sure I could take the win from Rebecca, Michael, and Michelle. That was not to be. At the outset of the game, the players marveled at the cards and asked questions about play. Michael commented, "That's Reiner!" looking at the Lite Metal Artwork. "I'd know that mug anywhere".

Play began and round after round Yoko was in 4th or 5th, while the other four artists switched positions. Lite Metal placed 2nd once and was quiet the rest of the game, players focused on Karl Gitter, krypto, and Christian P. Christian P. was 5th in the first round placed the next three. By contrast Krypto was in first at least twice and 2nd or 3rd the other times.

Michelle proved her skill in art dealing by collecting the popular art each round and was followed close behind by Rebecca. Michael and I were apparently at the musem of natural history as we were no where near placing in the race to collect the best art!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.