Hide
13 Posts

Thematic Games» Forums » General

Subject: Suggestion for new game for family? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Bunny
msg tools
Hello, I'm new here! I was hoping for some advice.

I've got a 10 year old daughter who's pretty sharp for her age. She really enjoys board games and Stratego is one of her favorites. I'd like to find a game with a fantasy setting that she, my wife, and I can enjoy. I've been a long time D&D player, but my wife prefers board games to pen and paper RPGs. I've considered something like Warhammer, but the startup cost seems a bit daunting for several players (just from talking to friends who have played). It seems as though there's a lot of good choices here on the site, but I was hoping someone might offer some recommendations. Thanks very much for any suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In service to the Imperium of Man
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hi, welcome to the site!

Off the top of my head here are some fantasy-themed games that you might enjoy for 2-3 players:

Blue Moon City (lots of nice artwork)
DungeonQuest (third edition) (only if you like randomness)
The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac (has some nifty props)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Tales of the Arabian Nights. A storytelling game all about the adventure, beautiful game, limited decision making though.
Castle Panic. Family friendly Co-op game where players are defending a castle from Goblins, orcs and trolls.
Thunderstone. A deck building game, might be a bit much for the younger one, but has great fantasy artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
The Turtle Moves.
badge
Give a man fire and he's warm for the day. Set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
The most popular Family games are listed here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/familygames/browse/boardgame

Or you could try the Advanced Search with Category = Fantasy and Subdomain = Family.

Or you could wait for the helpful folks around here to provide you their recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi, you might want to try out Small World. It's a great little game with a bunch of expansions and a new version recently out: Small World Underground. If your daughter enjoys fantasy themes, this one should be a perfect fit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, Small World is the obvious choice for this situation. If you try it and find that its too light or not enough of a dungeon crawl you could go for something more advanced like Descent: Journeys in the Dark (a new edition of which will be out soon)

I also think the previously mentioned Tales of the Arabian Nights might fit nicely, just remember that while fun, its not much of a game really.

I would also encourage you to check out the co-op Defenders of the Realm for some fantasy themed family fun.

-E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Castle Panic and The Adventurers.

Since you like D&D get one of the D&D board games (Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game is the next one out).

Other good games with lots of theme are Ghost Stories, Arkham Horror, Runebound (Second Edition), Battlestations (like a mini RPG).

Munchkin games are fun for kids and RPGers can laugh at the jokes.

Stay away from GW's money sinks and look at other smaller miniature skirmish-level games if you think she'll enjoy them (Hell Dorado, Malifaux, Anima Tactics, BattleTech, Tannhäuser, Super Dungeon Explore, Okko: Era of the Asagiri, Wings of War: Deluxe Set).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bunny
msg tools
Lots of great suggestions! I will give all of these a thorough look, thanks very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy co-ops (players all on same side vs. the game)

D&D series:

1) Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game

2) Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game

3) Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game

These are all the same series.

4) The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Another co-op, where you play scenarios trying to beat the game together. Expandable if your family happens to like it.

5) Lord of the Rings

Yet another co-op, where you try to destroy the ring together. Gameplay is simpler (everyone plays a Hobbit) so it's particularly suitable for children (I've played it successfully with 8 year olds, though at that age they need a bit of guidance).

6) Defenders of the Realm

Highly regarded co-op, where you take characters but there's no levelling, so it's a little simpler.

D&D-like fantasy boardgames (not co-op)

7) Runebound (Second Edition)

This is 'race' game where you level up, defeat, monsters, collect items, etc. It's not a co-op (first to kill the boss monster wins) but neither is it antagonistic.

8) World of Warcraft: The Boardgame

World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game

Two other 'race' games.

9) Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Semi-coop where one player plays the monsters and the rest play the good guys. 2nd edition is due to be released soon, I think.

10) Heroscape Master Set: Battle for the Underdark

Prepainted miniatures game set in D&D with dungeon exploring theme. This might partly scratch your warhammer itch, should be simple enough for your daughter to play too.

Games where 2 (or more) fantasy armies face off

11) Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation (Deluxe Edition)

This is basically 'Lord of the Rings Stratego', so might be something your daughter likes. Still interesting enough for adults too.

12) Summoner Wars: Master Set

Card-based 2-player game. Two opposed summoners call up creatures (cards) to fight for them, moving on a grid. It's a bit like warhammer except the cards are the pieces (so it's much cheaper!).

Probably simple enough for your daughter to play, though she may need to be about 12 or so to start to see some of the deeper strategy.

The link is to the 6-faction set but the 2-faction starter sets should be reprinted soon if you want a more affordable taste.

13) Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game

Risk-like conquest game in a fantasy world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
14) Shadows over Camelot

Another co-op, where you take questing knights. Should be easy enough for your daughter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:

Yup, I'd bet that the cutesy anime look of Super Dungeon Explore will win over your daughter, and possibly your wife too. The only annoyance factor, besides the price, would be having to assemble and glue all the figures together. Once they're all together though, they'll look great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darksome S. Brute
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were considering Warhammer, but were concerned about startup costs, perhaps Warhammer: Invasion? It wouldn't be my first suggestion when I know a wife and daughter are involved, but since you already mentioned Warhammer...

I'll second Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation, since your daughter likes Stratego. And Summoner Wars: Master Set is a fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island---perfect family game, probably not considered "fantasy" though
Lord of the Rings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.