$10.00
Recommend
107 
 Thumb up
 Hide
126 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » Geek of the Week

Subject: Geek of the Week #309 - Sullafelix rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
Thanks, Eric!

6 Can you give us an impromptu complete written review of your favorite wargame (that should keep you off the streets)?
Carrier is a solitaire game that simulates carrier battles against IJN in 1942. The system provides you with realistic Japanese actions complete with tension-inducing uncertainties and ever-present possibilities of sudden enemy strikes.
It is a good game since even when you lose, you will still feel "good" about losing so realistically.



A man of good taste, Carrier & Tokyo Express are both some of my favorite games EVER! Have you played Tokyo Express?
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
I have some questions for you.

1) What is the most interesting historical site you've visited?
2) Where do you stand on the revised Star Wars IV-VI films?
3) Were you influenced or infected by Grognads?

Enjoy your week!
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
A man of good taste, Carrier & Tokyo Express are both some of my favorite games EVER! Have you played Tokyo Express?

Not quite yet, but who knows?
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
More questions for our GotW:

1. How's your ancient Greek and Latin?
2. Obviously you enjoy ancient military history. What about political, social and/or economic histories?
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
Congratulations!
I have some questions for you.

1) What is the most interesting historical site you've visited?
2) Where do you stand on the revised Star Wars IV-VI films?
3) Were you influenced or infected by Grognads?

Enjoy your week!

Thank you, Andy!
1. My travel is so limited, except for Pearl Harbor, not much.
I regret now I didn't visit Gettysburgh while I was in Pittsburgh for college. soblue

2. They could have been better, but no one could have done better.

3. Along with the unfortunate moose, I have been bitten, severely! robot
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
More questions for our GotW:

1. How's your ancient Greek and Latin?
2. Obviously you enjoy ancient military history. What about political, social and/or economic histories?


Alrighty, Moshe!

1. I have made some efforts and even forced myself through Xenophon's Anabasis and Caesar's Bellum Gallicum with translations provided. Even with crutches, nothing like the original tongue!
If left on my own with an average text, I might understand around 20% and 60% respectively.
On my slow way of escaping barbarian status though.

2. It is impossible to separate them, and as I get older I find pen indeed may be mightier than sword.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
Ave Sullafelix! Enjoy your week in the sun.

Here's a question for you: As a laconophile, what's your opinion on stoicism? Related to that, who would win in an arm wrestling match: Lycurgus of Sparta or Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus?

Salve, Petrus!
Stoicism is a most excellent guide to life, more sensible than any dominant religion practiced nowadays.
I see Lycurgus with long hair, as a good Spartan, trying to frighten rather than to engage the enemy needlessly, while Marcus having a hard time restraining Commodus the Hercules-wannabe.
13 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I Am
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Sullafelix!! Enjoy your week in the spotlight!

For a newbie wargamer who hasn't played any Ancients wargaming yet, what would you suggest and why?

Do you prefer tactical, strategic or operational?

Apart from Ancients wargaming, what's your favorite era or conflict to simulate?

Do expat Roman dictators scuba dive in Hawai?
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
whac3 wrote:
More questions for our GotW:

1. How's your ancient Greek and Latin?
2. Obviously you enjoy ancient military history. What about political, social and/or economic histories?


Alrighty, Moshe!

1. I have made some efforts and even forced myself through Xenophon's Anabasis and Caesar's Bellum Gallicum with translations provided. Even with crutches, nothing like the original tongue!
If left on my own with an average text, I might understand around 20% and 60% respectively.
On my slow way of escaping barbarian status though.

2. It is impossible to separate them, and as I get older I find pen indeed may be mightier than sword.

Sorry but anybody whose native language was not ancient Greek was by definition a barbarian. Even if you learn the language fluently that won't change but you might make your children not barbarians.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great choice, congrats Sullafelix.

I've seen your avatar all around threads that I have posted to; always appreciate your contribution.

Steve
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Were there any 'numismatist' tendency you may also HAVE, with a few ANCIENT 'specie' as an example for such?
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

Quote:
I finally ran into The Great Battles of Julius Caesar: The Civil Wars 48-45 B.C. around 15 years ago.


Ain't that a coincidence! I just broke open that box and began clipping counters last night!

Have fun in the spotlight!

Randy
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
sxmpxr wrote:
Congratulations Sullafelix!! Enjoy your week in the spotlight!

For a newbie wargamer who hasn't played any Ancients wargaming yet, what would you suggest and why?

Do you prefer tactical, strategic or operational?

Apart from Ancients wargaming, what's your favorite era or conflict to simulate?

Do expat Roman dictators scuba dive in Hawai?


Thanks, Sam!
For operational, Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage or Julius Caesar (they are simple enough but deep) and for tactical, SPQR (Deluxe Edition) (for the full ancient experience) or Rome At War I: Hannibal at Bay (simpler but good enough to produce similar results)

Tactical, mostly because they are more solo-friendly.

Now I am mainly in WWII.

Roman dictators are famous for their rabies and hydrophobia. zombie
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

Sorry but anybody whose native language was not ancient Greek was by definition a barbarian. Even if you learn the language fluently that won't change but you might make your children not barbarians.

wow Those Greeks who sold me the grammar books lied to me?!?!
I am so leading the Immortals through the goat path!!! arrrh
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
Were there any 'numismatist' tendency you may also HAVE, with a few ANCIENT 'specie' as an example for such?

Fortunately none, except for the recurring but unsatisfied lust for those Athenian owl coins.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cassens
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
OMG! Congrats on the succession to GOTW!!!!!

surprise devil

Cheers!

Jacovis
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
Congratulations!

Quote:
I finally ran into The Great Battles of Julius Caesar: The Civil Wars 48-45 B.C. around 15 years ago.


Ain't that a coincidence! I just broke open that box and began clipping counters last night!

Have fun in the spotlight!

Randy
Great Caesar! That's a lot of counters! Hope you enjoy it.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Felix!
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Haben Sie doch tatsachlich unser Periscope gesehen
badge
Our recent triumphs: Dived to evade enemy aircraft. Lost contact. Dived to evade destroyer. Depth charged. The British have stopped making mistakes.
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight Felix!!! thumbsup

Question:

What is your most & least favorite game mechanic and why?

meeple
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight Felix!!! thumbsup

Question:

What is your most & least favorite game mechanic and why?

meeple
Thanks, Bob!
My favorite would be hex-and-counter, and even though I am learning the value of cards in wargames, I don't really like pure card games or set collecting type of games.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
TonyClifton wrote:
Congrats.

Did you ever smell anything so bad that you vomited?

If so.....what was it?

Not yet, even though boiled pig feet, a Korean delicacy, while they are being cooked almost did me in. gulp


I love boiled pig feet, there is nothing like some pig feet with my porridge in the morning. Must have some Korean in me. Its probably got something to do with my wife's delusional love of Korean men. (Too many Korean soaps have blended her brain, I am afraid.) Maybe I should get some plastic surgery done too....
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

Enjoy your time as GoTW.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
Pinky: "Gee Brain what are we gonna do tonight ?" Brain: "The same thing we do everynight Pinky. Try to take over the world !"
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations !
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimberly Orr
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
P52
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Sullafelix! Huzzah!
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.