Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you use this strategy much? How does it work depending on the number of players? I imagine it wouldn't be too effective in a 5-6 player game, although in a 6 player game it might be good to corral yourself a piece of land and protect it from the other players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
Such a strategy also requires a lot of wood and brick, which are not very useful in the endgame as they net you neither cards nor cities. Access to the brick and/or wood port would be vital for this strategy to be viable later in the game.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
I do tend to try to block opponents out of areas, but my primary objective is not to delay their building. I do it to ensure that I have plenty of space to do the building I need to do. In most games, I find that targetting a single opponent at a time for damaging effects is inefficient, and isn't worth it unless it happens to be advancing me at the same time.

The cost is usually pretty minimal. The strategy usually doesn't involve building anything I wouldn't eventually build anyway. It's just a matter of timing and strategic placement. If there's a cost, it might be because I build a settlement on a somewhat sub-optimal location, to claim that location and block off the better location behind it at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I also like to build roads not to block them, but to discourage other players from stealing an exp spot.

e.g. If we both need 3 roads to build a sett ot where we want, I'll build 2 roads leading there just to discourage him from doing so. If I'm UNlucky and he calls my bluff, he builds 3 roads and gets a sett bef I get my last road and sett. Else, this shows him I've already commited 2 roads and I'm willing to battle it out. He needs "call my wager of 2 roads" and raise me to the sett to beat me. The other option for him is to fold, which he CAN do since he hasn't commited any resrouces to that course of action while I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
I would have to say you should never give up your own advances to make someone else lose. If you're building to help yourself win, and you happen to be able to block off another player, then it's something you should do. If you have to go out of your way to block them off, you're just letting the 3rd/4th player(s) win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.