Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am an avid Magic the Gathering player who would like to stop spending so much money on M:tG. I've been looking at maybe getting into an LCG to scratch that itch. However, it seems like quite a few of them have sprouted up and so I'd appreciate some advice as to which ones are likely to be good candidates for me.

I like the complexity of Magic, and I like how synergist the cards. I like that a bunch of otherwise crappy cards can synergise to become quite powerful.

I like being able to interact with players on their turns (instant speed spell, countering your opponents spells, etc).

I like multiplayer.

I really like deck-building.

I like how there are different styles of decks and play (control, aggro, combo, etc).

are there even any good candidates?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geri
Hungary
Debrecen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer: Invasion would be a good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Warhammer Invasion would be the obvious choice, but it lacks a serious multiplayer component, and doesn't come close to Magic in terms of "interacting with players on their turns."

AngryStarAnarchy wrote:
I like the complexity of Magic, and I like how synergist the cards. I like that a bunch of otherwise crappy cards can synergise to become quite powerful.
W:I and Cthulhu are good for this.
AngryStarAnarchy wrote:
I like being able to interact with players on their turns (instant speed spell, countering your opponents spells, etc).
This one's gonna be tough. I've experienced nothing in the LCG world that comes close to Magic when it comes to being just as dangerous on an opponent's turn. This is where LCGs end up being kind of a junior-level CCG in some aspects where the creators have deliberately omitted some interactions deemed "not newcomer friendly."
AngryStarAnarchy wrote:
I like multiplayer.
Game Of Thrones, because W:I and Cthulhu are technically just 2-players, and because Thrones takes on a life of its own when you start playing 3-4 player games.
AngryStarAnarchy wrote:
I really like deck-building.
I really like tacos. Every LCG will give you deckbuilding options, though again, don't expect the choices to be as nuanced as Magic.
AngryStarAnarchy wrote:
I like how there are different styles of decks and play (control, aggro, combo, etc).
Every faction of every LCG will supply a slightly different flavor, this is one thing LCGs do properly. So you should be able to find a few different styles to master.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alliterato wrote:
Warhammer: Invasion would be a good choice.

No good multiplayer options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer, Cthulu, and Game of Thrones LCG (and I'll add in 5 Rings, as there is now a LCG-ish box set you can buy called War of Honor) all have their own flavor.

To me, Warhammer Invasion successfully replicates my favorite aspect of MtG: takign your deck and just thrashing your opponent with your well-planned synergies. I tried out the others and they're really fun, but it's tough to justify investing in multiple card-based games.

If I was going to branch away from Warhammer: Invasion and pick a 2nd card game, it'd either be a MtG cube for the universal playability and appeal. Or it would be either Game of Thrones LCG or War of Honor for the a "multiple paths to victory" sort of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Webber
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
design a Budget Cube of Magic cards - mine had 500 cards, none were worth more than £2 and most were simple to pick up commons.

If that is not exciting enough, design a power cube and sleeve cards with proxies of all the cards you would like, instant multidollar magic with real power.

If you want to play Magic, stop looking for a card game like magic and just play magic, just say no to standard and a whole world of opportunities is opened up to you!

If you find an LCG like magic, let me know, because I have looked and never found one, not to say that some of them have not been great games, but they are not magic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
A Game of Thrones is probably your best bet - although getting a core set at this moment might be hard. (For some reason, all of them disappeared with the release of the 5th book and the TV series... go figure!) A reprint isn't that far away, though.

It has six factions, each of which has their own strengths and weaknesses. There's a lot of interaction, and plays *very* well multiplayer. It plays so well multiplayer that it makes 2-player seem like an afterthought, although the original CCG was designed as 2-player.

Of the four available LCGs, it's the one that I think offers the most scope for deckbuilding and entertaining play.

Call of Cthulhu suffers in comparison, although it isn't a bad game. It's very much a 2-player game, although there are multiplayer rules available. I haven't tried it multiplayer myself. However, there are a few flaws in its design that make it not as appealing as AGOT. It also isn't quite as well supported - the Deluxe sets for AGOT are superb.

I haven't tried Warhammer: Invasion, though from what I hear it makes a fine 2-player game. However, as the subject matter doesn't interest me at all, I haven't investigated further.

The Lord of the Rings game is superb, but has very, very limited deckbuilding options at present. It's also a co-operative game against the scenarios that come in the base game and expansions. Its biggest flaw is the tiny, tiny card pool for building decks at present. This will improve, but not for a year or more.

Upcoming is the Star Wars LCG, for which the LOTR summary will likely also hold.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hall
United States
Columbia
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think you can pretty much boil it down to this:

Warhammer: Invasion
+The most similar to Magic. Still has the interesting three-zones wrinkle, which makes it more its own game than, say, WoW:TCG or VS.
+Fewer cards (so, cheaper) -- if that's a plus for you.

Game of Thrones
+Good in multiplayer
+More people play it (in general) -- might vary by region.
+More cards released -- if that's a plus for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Nightfall

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michail Giannis
Greece
Petroupoli/Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say go for the Game of Thrones.

as close to Magic as it can get i think.....also better tournaments if you are in to this stuff.

All LCG have something unique but GoT is the more balanced in all the aspects.

P.S. I am a huge fan o CoC LCG and i have played ALL LCG so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Elemental Clash. It is non-collectible like the FFG LCG's. Although new to the scene, at just a Basic Set and one expansion, there are (I believe) 4 more expansions planned at the moment. It is easy to learn if you've ever played any CCG's, and has Flash Spells that can be played on your opponent's turn. Multiplayer is possible, even though I don't support the multiplayer idea for games like that. Just my point of view, but M:tG was designed as a two player game, and it should stay that way. The designer, Andreas Propst, is on BGG frequently, and is more than happy to answer any questions about the game you have. There is also a Vassal module for online play, and Andi is always willing to play a game with the fans.

As an aside, Nightfall isn't an LCG, it's from AEG, not FFG. Same exact thing, just can't call it an LCG cause FFG owns that term. Andi called Elemental Clash an LCG, and they sent a C&D to him.

Sorry about making you look look up the page yourself, but I can't do the little blue writing clickable link thingy blush

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
scarecrowking wrote:

As an aside, Nightfall isn't an LCG, it's from AEG, not FFG. Same exact thing, just can't call it an LCG cause FFG owns that term. Andi called Elemental Clash an LCG, and they sent a C&D to him.

Actually Nightfall is a DBG (Deck Building Game) like Dominion or Thunderstone. Here's a link to Elemental Clash: The Basic Set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Nightfall isn't anywhere close to a LCG. Like sirkerry said it is a deck building game, which means you construct the deck as you play the game not before the game as with the LCGs or CCGs. If someone likes the type of before the game deck building metagame offered by LCG/CCG then the games like Nightfall/Thunderstone/Dominion are not going to scratch that itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
If someone likes the type of before the game deck building metagame offered by LCG/CCG then the games like Nightfall/Thunderstone/Dominion are not going to scratch that itch.

That's for sure! They just make the itch worse in my opinion. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha, thanks for that clarification. I hadn't really looked into Nightfall. I haven't tried one yet, but I just don't think that deck-building during the game would appeal to me.

-Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kwiatkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of MtG, Doom Trooper, Dark Eden, Kult, AGoT LCG, Pokemon and perhaps some other card games I've played I think Invasion is the best one mechanically. (I think MtG has some great mechanics but I hate the lands mechanic - with mana screw, mana flood etc.) I quit it though because in the early days they released a format-defining card every month (think: new and improved Jace the Mindsculptor every month). Not that I couldn't afford it, but the meta changed way too rapidly then. Some of my friends say it has cooled down a bit since then, so to say.

Be careful with AGoT LCG - it doesn't use the stack which was a huge turnoff for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all the LCGs and I think Game of Thrones is what you're looking for, for the reasons others have listed. Don't expect your characters to live long, though -- the game is similar to the books/show in that regard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gagnon
msg tools
Don't forget that LCGs aren't necessarily cheap. There are dozens of expansions for them at$8 and higher a set. It's cheaper than Magic, but players buying many expansions will have an advantage over somebody that doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waffel wrote:
Be careful with AGoT LCG - it doesn't use the stack which was a huge turnoff for me.

Do any of the LCGs use the stack? Without the stack its hard to interact with the other player.

Any LCG have counter spells?

Honestly, this is a little discouraging. It sounds like I should just keep working on my EDH/Commander deck and maybe put a Modern deck together. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I would find ways to continue playing magic and spending less on it.

But if you really want to go down the LCG route my recommendation would be Warhammer Invasion. It has tactics cards that counter other tactics cards (counterspells) and I'm fairly sure it employs the stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
AngryStarAnarchy wrote:
waffel wrote:

Do any of the LCGs use the stack? Without the stack its hard to interact with the other player.

No it isn't. What the LCGs have are "Response" actions, which can be played in response to other player actions or game events. It also has "action" phases between other major decisions that allow play of cards.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rgagnon wrote:
Don't forget that LCGs aren't necessarily cheap. There are dozens of expansions for them at$8 and higher a set. It's cheaper than Magic, but players buying many expansions will have an advantage over somebody that doesn't.

BIG +1 for this comment.

I stopped playing Magic back in the day because of the huge money sink that it was/is. Then I got on a Cthulhu kick and looked at Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game. Eventually I pulled the trigger, thinking that LCGs wouldn't be so bad. Yes, you get everything, yes, it is cheaper, but I can't keep up. New stuff keeps coming out and I'm over a year behind. To make things worse, my cards just sit in the box and decks don't get made. Too many cards too fast, overwhelmed me.

If you're looking for a cheaper game, go with a Magic-like card game (i.e., not LCG). Buy the box and you're done. LCGs aren't that much cheaper, but it's nice to know you're getting everything. If you like Magic, play with the cards you have and stop buying new ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AngryStarAnarchy wrote:
waffel wrote:

Any LCG have counter spells?

Honestly, this is a little discouraging. It sounds like I should just keep working on my EDH/Commander deck and maybe put a Modern deck together. shake

Call of Cthulhu has interrupt cards that can sneak in before another card's action is resolved. Otherwise, cards must be resolved fully before another card is played. Insanely BETTER than the stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirkerry wrote:
scarecrowking wrote:

Actually Nightfall is a DBG (Deck Building Game) like Dominion or Thunderstone. Here's a link to Elemental Clash: The Basic Set.

A LCG has a more frequent Release Schedule than a deckbuiling game. Also in a LCG there will be expansions comming out forever (or as least as long as someone will buy them). In a deckbuiling game there will be a limited number of expantions. In a LCG you build you deck first and then play the game, like you do in Magic: The Gathering. In a deckbuiling game you build deck while you are playing. A part from that a deckbuiling game could fit what Art is looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.