Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the Recruiter's Guild work like the Recruiting space, where you can only claim and elf with an elf, or a dwarf with a dwarf?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dougbass68 wrote:
Does the Recruiter's Guild work like the Recruiting space, where you can only claim and elf with an elf, or a dwarf with a dwarf?

No, it says that you can Recruit an Elf, Dwarf, or Gnome. It does not matter what type of worker you send. (Good thing, because you'd be hard pressed to get a Gnome out of it then, huh?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
The Hellfish Bonanza!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
In other words, it's REALLY GOOD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick responses. I assumed as much, but wanted to make sure.

When you read over the rules / played for the first time, did any questions come up for you? The game seems mostly straightforward, but I will be playing it for the first time tomorrow night and I want to be prepared.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
The Hellfish Bonanza!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The only question I can recall is confusion with how the market works, and I think part of the problem is that this game has a huge table "footprint" and the confused players couldn't see the market board from where they were sitting. The only other thing that might trip people up slightly is how ties are resolved in scoring, which isn't complicated it is just different than most games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, with the Market, my initial assumption was that you had to have a worker placed to use the +1 Trading action(s). But after seeing other cards with bonus actions that don't have a spot for a worker, I decided that you get the action regardless of whether you've placed a worker there that turn or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
The Hellfish Bonanza!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I used the wrong wording in my previous post, I meant "Trading Post" not "Market". The player far away from the calendar/gnome recruiter/building card stack/trading post board couldn't see the bottom portion of the board, and thus had trouble with the trading post actions.

But yes, the extra trade action(s) from the gnome locks on the Market do not require worker placement. The worker plank just gets you the 2 gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like it's going to be a great game.

I wonder about AP though, seeing as how there are so many possible actions available on a turn and the fact that they can be executed in any order. In the test game I am playing, while placing my workers, I find myself trying to think about all the following simultaneously:

Which spot(s) are the other players likely to take?
Which worker should I use on a particular spot (elf or dwarf)?
Which workers should I reserve to collect resources, and which ones?
What order am I going to activate them later in the turn?
What taxes will I have to pay and what income will I earn?
What property or properties am I going to build?
Will I have enough money to hire a gnome / use the trading post / buy a card / pay taxes next turn?
What am I going to want to do next turn?

Perhaps it's just me, but it seems like that's an awful lot to think about!

I know it's mostly subjective, but what has been your experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
The Hellfish Bonanza!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my thoughts are here:
[url]http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/684436/did-you-know-that-gno...
[/url]

But yes, it is extremely subject to AP. Or rather, players that are subject to AP will be very much so with this game. I strongly recommend that you do not play with 5 players, or at very least not until everyone already knows the game. Learning + AP + 5 players = a painful amount of downtime.

And if you have the luxury of time, you might want to try playing through the first scoring round (end of the third month), then offering to start the game over once everyone has seen how points will be awarded, what tax bracket they are likely to fall into, and just get a good grasp of the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3dicebombers wrote:
Learning + AP + 5 players = a painful amount of downtime.

One of the early prototypes I playtested with Jay and Sen had a full calendar (12 months with four scorings, one at the end of each 3 month season). We played with 5 players. Talk about long. But it was obvious that this was still a great game -- just needed to be shortened.

What we found on repeated plays was that AP-prone players tended to be fairly slow on an initial play, but got better on a second play. There are sometimes a lot of actions to choose from, but with a little bit of experience you gain focus on which ones you really need to consider in any given turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmb
dougbass68 wrote:

We've played the recruiter guild this way, but we've been unsure about the inn. We've been playing the inn as a discounted recruiter's desk and playing elf=elf, dwarf=dwarf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
dougbass68 wrote:

We've played the recruiter guild this way, but we've been unsure about the inn. We've been playing the inn as a discounted recruiter's desk and playing elf=elf, dwarf=dwarf

See my response above - it would be difficult to get a Gnome out of the Recruiter's Guild if you had to send a gnome in...

Same goes for the Inn - it doesn't say there's a restriction, so there's not a restriction. The restriction for the Village spaces (hiring desk - I'm drawing a blank on what it ended up getting called in the final rulebook) is for that space only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response.

Yes, I had read your response above, but was asking about the inn. Which has now been answered,

Happy Gaming,

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.